Preserving History

 

Front side of page one

I wrote not long ago about my uncle giving my my great grandfather's World War I photo album of pictures he took during his time in the war. I was loaned the album perhaps a decade plus ago and at that time had scanned the pictures one at a time but always felt that I hadn't done it justice in preserving it because I lost the hand written notes and the general context of the pictures on pages where there are lots of pictures side by side. 

In the years since I had last seen it, it had deteriorated quite a bit and was in danger of just falling into a pile of scraps. It is such a treasure that I just can't allow that to happen so I started researching on how to preserve it. According to the experts, the best way to preserve it is to get it into a stable acid and light free environment and never look at it. They also suggest scanning the all of the pages first to preserve the context of the photos and to allow people to view it as a copy of the original.

So I ordered a binder that can hold the pages, which for your reference are 15 inches wide by 10 inches tall. I also ordered acid and pvc free archival sleeves to hold those pages in the binder. When I get all the pages scanned and into their sleeves in the binder, I will put the whole works in an archival box and store it safely away. My plan is to use an online service to create a book with all the scans that I can use as I wish, perhaps show other interested parties and give some copies to my uncles and other in my family.

That plan all came to a screeching halt when I went to scan the first page and realized my flatbed scanner wasn't big enough. In order to scan the entire thing, I was going to have to scan each page four different times and somehow stitch those images together to form one page. I did a little google research and tried one free program but after a couple hours of fuddling, still couldn't get a satisfactory scan. I think perhaps because it's stitching algorithm was made for panoramic photos and not multiple scanned images. So I tried another and within minutes, it spit out the image above and a few minutes later, the image below. I find both highly satisfactory and at an average of 12 MB per page, I think the resolution will be more than enough to produce a good book later on. The pictures aren't of high resolution being over 100 years old but I definitely don't want to lose any detail. 

I've proven a process now and will just have to spend off hours when it is too hot in the garage or perhaps too cold out this winter to finish scanning all the rest of the pages and get it in a state or preservation. However, it is a labor of love so it is a project I'm looking forward to doing.

Backside of page one

As luck would have it, I was able to scan all the pages during a particularly hot week and after editing them a bit, created an online book of them and ordered two copies which have since arrived. The pages are essentially the same size as the original album though the book is a bit taller in height so there are some white spaces above and below the scanned pages. I also omitted a handful of empty pages so it is somewhat thinner as well. 

I have spent some time flipping through all the pages, digesting what I am seeing in the individual photos but will wait to do some more later during winter. The second copy I hope to give to my uncle as a gift for giving me the original. Perhaps if the website I used, Shutterfly, has a promotion later on, I might order a third copy for my brother.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It turned out quite well, especially the stitching program. The only complaint I have is that in order to keep the page edges looking straight, I had to get the page on my scanner, exactly straight, four times in a row. This didn't always work out perfectly so many of the page edges have a slight curve to them when stitched together. I assume this translates into distortion of the pictures too but if so, it isn't apparent to my eyes so I just forged ahead anyway.

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to wrap my mind around that first photo, including the caption. Explanation needed! (foaled in Iowa, raised in France by Big Bertha?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming Big Bertha was some big artillery gun used by the Germans but that is only a guess. It is the first picture in the album so it must have been something my great grandfather had vivid memories about.

      Delete
  3. What a meaningful and wonderful process! I made various family books when my husband died and although it was a labor of love, the scanning just about did me in. So tedious! As you say though, you can fit it in periodically when the weather is inclement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a large box of slides that belonged to my great uncle that are also on my list to scan sometime this winter. Those will probably undergo a heavy pruning though in the process of scanning but I hope there is something interesting among them.

      Delete
  4. Ed, thanks for the information. This is something I will have to do in the not too distant future as well. I have my parents' photos as well as much of the information from my mother's side of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done way too much of this in the last few years. But at least it has allowed me to consolidate things down to just a few boxes.

      Delete
  5. Wow, a lot of work went into this project, but I think it is, oh so, worth it. I should do the same with the photos from the old family album that I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For almost every other album that I inherited, I just pulled the pictures off that I wanted to save and scan and did so, then put them in a small archival box with that family branch's name on it. This one however was different since the pages were very brittle paper and all the pictures were pasted onto it.

      Delete

Post a Comment