No Partridges But Lots of Pears

 

After hanging up the cabinets in my last post, I drove onto one of my parent's farms where an old pear tree stands in one corner, probably planted way before my time by a past owner of the farm. It is starting to show its age but as it has been nearly every year, it is absolutely loaded full of pears.

They aren't a fresh eating pear but more of a baking pear, I think. I have never seen one soft enough to eat without breaking teeth in the process. But while listening to a gardening program on public radio, I heard someone say that pears never ripen on trees and need to be picked and left to rest to fully ripen. Two weeks ago, I picked a couple pears and indeed they did get a bit softer but aren't sweet like an eating pear.

Several years ago, I had picked a bucket of those pears and pressure canned them in a light syrup to sweeten them up. The pressure can cooked them so they were soft and sweet but my kids just weren't into them and so I was slowly working my way through the jars. However, this past spring, my kids rediscovered them and quickly blew through the last of the canned pears and asked for more. 

So two weeks after my pear ripening experiment, I stopped and picked three five-gallon buckets full of pears. As you can see in the picture  below, which was taken after I filled my three buckets, picking was pretty easy and there are still a ton of pears left on that tree to pick. My three buckets are sitting in my garage ripening up and in a couple weeks, I'll spend a day canning pears for eating later this winter.



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It was. I took a telescoping fruit picker with me but never had to reach much beyond shoulder height and still wasn't all the way around the tree when I had my buckets full.

      Delete
  2. I've found that even the hardest pear will usually ripen on the counter in a week or so. You may remember we had an especially bountiful harvest a few years ago. I'm jealous of that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up canning them about 10 days after picking. By then, there were some actually starting to go bad already. These old pears tend to rot from the inside out for some reason.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it too early for a partridge in a pear tree? ;) I don't like pears, something about the texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you wouldn't like these fresh off the tree. They would break your teeth trying to eat them. But canned in a light syrup, they are quite tasty.

      Delete
  4. They're beautiful! And as a cooking pear, they are probably perfect for canning. It's nice to have both types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can really well. I ended up with nearly 80 pints of canned pears so we should be good for another couple years.

      Delete
  5. That tree IS loaded! I wonder why your kids took to them the second time around? Maybe they just needed to be a bit more mature. (Your kids, I mean, not the pears.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty judgmental when they were younger. My youngest seems more willing to try something if I tell her it is good than my oldest so when the youngest tried them and asked for more, the oldest then had to get in on the action.

      Delete
  6. Fascinating. I had no idea that was a thing with pears.

    To be fair to your daughters, I am not overly fond of pears either if not properly prepared (no intentional pun there). Mostly it is a texture thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These tend to be a bit more firm than canned pears that I have eaten in the past.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I don't think I have ever had a pear pie. I might have had a cobbler made from pears though it has probably been decades. Now that I have a bunch of canned pears, I may have to look into recipes.

      Delete
  8. I love pears. My grandmother always made pear preserves, which was so good (but obviously not good for you as the syrup was so sweet). -Jeff https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make any pear preserves though I had thought about it. By the time I canned eating pears, I was mentally done with pears. Besides, I had my heart set on apple preserves which I just canned this morning in real time.

      Delete

Post a Comment