Hangin' Uppers

 

I squeezed in a couple morning when I wasn't working on the urban garden to finish up the face frames for the upper cabinets and on a sunny midweek morning, took them out and got them hung in place. This wasn't without complications, namely the amount of strength I have available. I could get the single cabinet on the right hoisted up in place and screwed into the wall but the two upper cabinets fastened together were another story.

I had thought about that of course and screwed a board to the wall underneath so that once high enough, they could just rest on the board while my other hand drove a screw home to hold it permanently. But I just couldn't get it lifted up to rest on that board. I was just going to leave it and enlist some help on another day when my mind got to thinking about hydraulic bottle jacks back at the farm. They don't have the stroke capacity to get the cabinet in place either but got my mind thinking about jacks and the scissor jack in the back of my vehicle that is not only thin but has a huge stroke on it. 

Fifteen minutes later, I had the cabinets jacked up into place and a screw driven through the back to hold it permanently to the wall. All that is left is to make six doors in the same style as the lower doors and I can cross this project off my list and move onto other things.

Comments

  1. Good thinking! I'm not sure I would have thought to use a car jack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind led me to it in a round about way.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. - Thomas Edison

      Delete
  3. Is that glass, plexiglass, or mesh on those lower cabinets? I've seen see-through upper cabinets, but I'm not sure I have seen lower ones that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is what I call hardware cloth, a small wire mesh.

      Delete
  4. Smart! My handyman contractor uses all kinds of things to prop up cabinets that need hanging. Boxes, ladders, stools, crates, whatever will work. It would also help if you had a helper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... or just planned it better ahead of time to have all the required props.

      Delete
  5. What will be the final purpose to this cabin? Is it a hunting shanty? A camp? Pretty sturdy! I like the glass fronted doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a place for the owner to stay when in this part of Iowa. It is so rural, motels are few and far between here.

      Delete
  6. Problem solving at its finest! And it's looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful work and smart thinking, Ed. Alway enjoy seeing how your projects turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did the job of two people! It is looking great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment