End of An Era

 

Graduation photo of my grandma

My last grandparent, my maternal grandmother, died recently. She was less than 3 months from her 90th birthday so she had a good run. 

I am fortunate to have lived as long as I have with grandparents. Many of my peers are losing parents or have lost them already and yet until four years ago, I had three out of four grandparents still alive and kicking. My paternal grandfather died when I was in my last years of college. After that I, I went decades before the losses started piling up with my mom five years ago, maternal grandfather four years ago and my paternal grandmother last year. Now it is my maternal grandmother and it feels like the end of an era for me. 

My maternal grandparents going on a date before they were married

Above is one of my favorite pictures of my grandmother when she was dating my grandfather. When I found it the first time, it was just a random loose photograph in a box full of random loose photographs but it is now one of my most treasured of them. I never knew them at this age of course. By the time my memories start up, they are already in the latter part of their work careers. Soon they would retire and move down to Florida for the next 25 years and I would only see them maybe once or twice a year for an evening on their way through Iowa. During their last handful of years in Florida, we started spending 10 days or so with them every year in the vicinity of Panama City Beach and I started to get to know them a bit better.

Then mom was diagnosed with cancer and that changed everything. After years of talking, my maternal grandparents finally moved back to Iowa and lived just across town from where I live so they could spend more time with my mom and my family. After mom's death, my grandfather died a few months later and my grandmother moved up north to be near her son who was recently retired and could take care of her better than I could with my busy family life and schedule. Covid hit and she ended up moving into my uncle's house which turned out to be for the best considering how the lock downs in nursing homes worked out. It was still close enough that I could visit her often and I have done so these last years. 

Grandma very pregnant with my mom who was born the day before Christmas Eve.

Grandma was born in 1933, the fourth of five children. Her last two remaining siblings died in 2012 and so she has been the last of her family for quite some time now. She started her career as an office worker but soon after marriage, transitioned into a homemaker and later a bus driver for the school district my grandfather was bus maintenance supervisor for. That is how I remember her in my earliest memories, driving a big yellow school bus around. 

For many years, they would take my brother and I up to Minnesota for fishing trips which my grandfather loved to do. We would spend a week fishing every morning, playing cards in the heat of the day, going swimming in the late afternoon and playing more cards and watching movies in the evening. Some of the card games aren't well known anymore, but I've taught my kids how to play one of them. I've tried teaching them some of the others too but cards just aren't in fashion with their generation. I blame shorter attention spans in this world of accessible information all day long on hand held electronics. Perhaps there is still a chance to pass those games on someday.

With her passing, I am down to one parent, a slim holding between myself becoming a patriarch of a family, something I am not ready for. 

She will be cremated and put in the shared urn with my grandfather which now resides on a cherry corner bookshelf I built for them and shared on my blog many years ago. Together they will be buried in a plot right next to my maternal grandfather's parents, my great grandparents, whom I also have many memories of during my boyhood, and whose names still live on in the names of my children. 

End of an era. 

2014


Comments

  1. Condolences Ed, and thank you for sharing. Those are great pictures.

    We really are at the tail end of an era. My mother and her brother are the sole remaining older generation in our immediate family from that line, and with TB The Elder's death that side has devolved into only cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a strange to view the family tree from near the top versus the bottom where I've always been.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear this, Ed, and this is a really nice tribute. Will there be a memorial service?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. According to my uncle, my grandma didn't want one. But we plan to be there as a family when her ashes are buried later next month.

      Delete
  3. It does feel like the end of an era. When we lose my mom, I know I'll feel very untethered. They've been our foundation for our whole lives. Your grandmother was a beautiful woman at all ages and seemed to have lived an excellent life, cared for by her loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Untethered is a great way to describe it.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely lady she is in all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she would be tickled to hear that.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry for your loss, Ed, and I can relate to that "end of an era" feeling. The motorcycle photo is wonderful. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have stared at it for hours and yet I have a box full that I haven't looked at more than a second or two a piece.

      Delete
  6. You have some lovely old photos to keep her memory alive! I am sorry for your loss, I remember when my last Grandma died, as you said it is the end of an era. Life goes on , I am down to one parent also and will have to take my place as the eldest sometime soon. I am not sure we are ever ready to be in that position:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may not be ready but I guess it isn't from the lack of training.

      Delete
  7. What a cool old lady! You were indeed very lucky to have her around until now. I never had grandparents except for my grandfather on my father's side - but only until I was about 10 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife has a similar story with grandparents.

      Delete
  8. My condolences, Ed. How very lucky you were to have your grandparents for so long. That is amazing, really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice write-up on your family and wonderful photos. I miss not being able to grab the phone and talk to my parents and Aunt. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really saw or talked to my grandparents often until these last five or six years but I really got used to hearing their voices over the phone quite often.

      Delete
  10. Sorry about your loss, Ed. My parents and grandparents are all gone (well, except my stepmother, who isn't really a parent), so I know where you're coming from. I love that picture of your grandparents on the motorcycle! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I knew it would be you who would appreciate that photo the most along side me.

      Delete
  11. When they go, and you want to ask a question, you can't. It's been 20 years since Mom passed, and I still think of things that I would like to ask. Our family is so very small with only 2 kids and 2 grands. The one kid is out west. We see them very occasionally, so it is really just the 5 of us living in this town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from a long line of twos. My 3rd great grandfather had two surviving children and everyone since then has only had two children, including me. It does make for easier get togethers though when we want to.

      Delete

Post a Comment