Change Order

 

I made the base and the face frame which will pretty up the ends of the plywood and give the doors and drawers someplace to rest against. I had cleaned everything up for the day when I got a call asking for a change order. Evidently the plumber had messed up and put the hookup for the water heater essentially where the far right cabinet will be. It will be a small water heater that will fit underneath the countertop but obviously, there can't be a drawer or storage space there. So I'm going to have to remove the last cabinet on the right and somehow make everything still work.

Right now, I'm thinking about cutting the face frame (already in two pieces for transportability) into three pieces, the face frame where the water heater will be as it's own separate piece. This will allow me to install the face frame later, without the cabinet, and with a fake drawer face and two doors on the lower part, it will look like it is an actual cabinet. The carcass of that cabinet can perhaps be recycled somewhere else or maybe turned into some shop furniture. 

So tomorrow morning, I'll tackle that and then I still need to sand the face frame and apply some sort of finish to it. Then I can turn my attention to making doors and drawers. 

Comments

  1. Oh dear. Mess ups seem to be so easy. Sounds like you have a good plan though. Probably a good thing you weren't further along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up recycling the vast majority of the extra cabinet so it worked out well.

      Delete
  2. You're keeping busy and productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least for a few hours a day before it is too hot to be outside.

      Delete
  3. Ed, I love that you these things. I have about zero skill in manual sorts of crafts, so it is wonderful to see the process and hear the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know how I got into it. I don't know anyone in my family who does woodworking. I guess I just felt a calling at some point and kept at it.

      Delete
  4. Argh! Nobody likes last-minute changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't last minute so it wasn't bad. It would have felt different delivering them completed only to be told, "Oh by the way..."

      Delete
  5. Change orders generally mean more money! I've tried discourage them when I was building churches. Jeff https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned that too over the years and try to live with what was decided versus issuing a change order. But occasionally, through no fault of anyone but the plumbing subcontractor, these sorts of things happen.

      Delete
  6. You are creative and up for the challenge! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even writing these posts ahead of time, I still have quite a ways to go. But hopefully I will get them done before the thick of fall.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Wood is wonderful in that it can be modified pretty easily, much easier than say concrete.

      Delete

Post a Comment