Seeing a White House


The next day, the one planned for spending with relatives who couldn't make it at a VRBO that cancelled our reservation hours before without telling us, we instead drove to Washington D.C. I had called our next VRBO rental, while the rest of my group were boating at Niagara Falls, and asked if we could extend our rental by a day earlier. It was available and after wiring some additional money, we had it a day early. So we pretty much drove all day from Niagara Falls to the VRBO rental in North Bethesda, Maryland.

Six months earlier, we had written our Congressman, asking for tickets to tour the inside of the Whitehouse, home of all the U.S. presidents in office since John Adams. Two weeks before we left, they let us know that we had been approved though on a day before we had planned to be in Washington D.C. Thanks to the blessing of the cancelled VRBO, we could now make it happen. So the next day, we drove to an outdoor park and ride that could hold a 15 passenger van, and rode the redline, down towards the heart of our nation, politically that is. We walked towards the designated gate of the Whitehouse complex only to see a huge line stretching for blocks. It had me question the exclusivity of our tickets.

With some time to kill before our check-in time, we went to the nearby Whitehouse Welcome Center and asking the workers there, found out that the last four days, tours of the Whitehouse had been cancelled due to visiting dignitaries so all of those days had been rescheduled to our day. He assured us that while it would be crowded, we would still be able to get in at the scheduled time on our tickets. So we did stood in the long line and were able to get into the Whitehouse for a self guided tour.


It was horribly crowded inside so getting pictures without 50 people in them were a challenge but I got a few. I'm not sure where the above picture was taken but it was somewhere in the East Wing, opposite of the West Wing that the president uses as an office.


I was also able to get a picture of the painting on my personal favorite president, John Adams, a man who was complicated and often held opinions that were contrary to popular view but turned out to probably be the right view in the long run. 

I'm sure the location of this is very recognizable to most even though few have probably ever taken a picture of it from this perspective. Most see if from the perspective of all those people crowding up to the fence in the far distance of this photo.

Overall, I think my brother-in-law and his family, non-citizens of this country, probably enjoyed the tour more than I did. To be fair, I had a tour of the Whitehouse, a guided one back then, about 40 years earlier as part of a band trip when I was in junior high school so it wasn't my first visit. Back then though, the 30 of us kids had the place to ourselves and the guide showing us around and weren't sharing it with hundreds of other people. 

One last thing that really struck me as we were standing in line waiting for the tour to start. I, a middle aged white man, was very much in the minority. The line was full of recent and probably 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, all of which were very excited to be in that line waiting for a tour of the Whitehouse. In fact, during our three days spent in our nation's capital, this theme continued. It warmed my heart to see all these immigrants embracing our country and the freedoms it allows it's citizens. They weren't taking it for granted as most of my white middle aged male brethren probably are, present readers excepted of course. 

Comments

  1. I am lucky in that I have visited D.C. numerous times. I always enjoy it and still have a bit of child-like awe when I see the landmarks and monuments. In all the times I have visited, however, I have never been inside the White House. Glad you got to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite in DC turned out to be the FDR Memorial, a memorial I had never heard about until I walked up to it. There weren't a lot of people and it was so beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure it's true that for many immigrants the White House (and the Capitol) have a special meaning. I've been to DC about a bazillion times but can you believe I've never been inside the White House? (Or the Capitol.) I don't know why my mom didn't arrange it when we were going so often as kids. My grandparents lived in DC and we were there twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get to go into the capital when I was in junior high but remember little about it. This time required timed tickets so we passed in favor of other things since we really didn't know our schedule well.

      Delete
  3. My only visit to DC was on a choir trip decades ago. We didn't tour the White House, but we did get to ring handbells in the Senate rotunda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since both of us had similar experiences as youth, I wonder if they still do such things. I haven't heard of any Washington DC trips through our local school, but to be fair, they are going on trips overseas which are just as interesting in these days of so much political turmoil.

      Delete
  4. It’s too bad that you didn’t get what you wanted, but it seems like it sufficed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting a meet and greet with President Biden, but it would have been nice to have about 100 less people around me during the tour.

      Delete
  5. Your being in the minority amongst immigrants speaks volumes about the state of our country. "Real" Americans are too busy sniping at each other and their opposing ideals.

    One of my favorite movies is "Independence Day" when the aliens attack the world. Is that what we need to bring everyone back together? Sure hope not. But we do need something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps more of us middle aged white guys need to take a trip to our nation's capital and stand in line with those immigrants who are so inspired by this country. Perhaps then we won't take some of our freedoms for granted.

      Delete
  6. Fascinating how it all worked out. And fortunate!

    Touring the Whitehouse was something we missed when our 4-H group took it's Washington DC trip. I seem to recall that there were too many options and we went on the Holocaust Museum tour instead. It's an interesting place with more to see than one could manage on one vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to go to that museum but it wasn't really something our guests were interested in and so it didn't happen. Perhaps next time.

      Delete
  7. I've been to DC a couple times and never been inside. I love the National Mall and the museums although they're also crowded! You got some great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were crowded for sure. So huddled mass of humanity.

      Delete
  8. I lived in the DC area for 4 or 5 years, Gaithersburg MD and Alexandria, VA. We went into DC 2 or 3 times a month. Do you know what I have never seen? The White House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On one hand, you aren’t missing much. But on the other hand, you are missing a lot when it comes to symbolism.

      Delete
  9. Gosh! We went to see the White House many, many moons ago. I can't remember much about it now. Darn! I didn't know you had to write to your Congressman to get tickets. Maybe that's why we had to wait so long to go in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment