Current Produce and Future Produce

Another trip to the garden and another quarter inch of rain too, things were still looking great and growing like weeks. The tomato plants are starting to become loaded with lots of green tomatoes, especially the amish paste ones which I am looking forward to working with this year. Above is one of those generic hybrid ones that the local garden center stocks. They work okay for preservation but usually contain a lot of water which means a lot of hours reducing over a stove which is what I'm trying to reduce with the amish paste tomatoes this year. I only bought a couple plants of the one above for sticking in the ground early for fresh consumption.

Our apple tree is looking to have another banner year. I still have tons of canned apples from last year so my hope is to just give these away other than what we eat fresh.

The blown over peach tree isn't showing signs of stress and the peaches are starting to color but are rock hard and small. The ones above are about half the size of a standard store bought peach and rock hard. I'm still hoping for a good harvest.


 Our oldest grape plant is still looking good and the grapes are slowly growing. Having never raised grapes before, I'm not sure what to expect and to be honest, don't even remember what kind of grape this is. I'm assuming it is a purple grape and I'm pretty sure we bought it for it's juice making qualities. The grapes are slowly growing inside but are still really hard so it isn't yet ripe, one way or the other.


Our cucumbers, both Japanese (bigger) and pickling (smaller) are producing pretty well so I picked what was ready. There are lots more future ones still on the vines. The peppers, though small, are also starting to produce so I picked some of them for fresh eating.

Finally, I wrote earlier that I have never grown cabbage. I'm pretty sure my mom may have tried a few times when I was younger but I never remember any cabbage picked or eaten as part of our farm diet. We mostly ate leaf lettuce which we could grow quiet well. So when my mother-in-law started some cabbage plants from seed and my wife transplanted them to our farm garden, I didn't hold out a lot of faith that we would get some actual cabbage heads but I'll have to take back those thoughts. We harvested two small heads last time thinking that was as big as they were going to get but this week, there were two heads that were double or triple the size of the previous ones and the remaining ones have also dramatically increased in size. So we picked the two biggest ones and still have a half dozen more growing as I write this. 

Comments

  1. Much preserving coming up, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of preserving has gone on in the couple weeks since I wrote this post. In fact, I think I have a post about some of that preservation.

      Delete
  2. This time of year the garden is reaching maturity so we can harvest lots of good stuff. My tomatoes are just starting to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours are way behind this year. But we did pick a handful this morning as I write this. (This post was written about two weeks ago.) It won't be long before we are picking buckets of them.

      Delete
  3. It all looks wonderful, including the cabbage! (I love cabbage) You're having a good year. I'm afraid we're headed into that time when we get no more rain until fall. We've already pulled up our tomatoes and even my potted herbs are struggling with the heat. At least the pasture is still in great shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our dry season approaching too and I'm not sure about the forecast for rain. But hopefully with the mulch, there will be enough moisture to see the fruit that has set, grow and ripen to maturity. That would be enough for me to can quite a bit.

      Delete
  4. Cabbage is one of the easiest things I grow. I just plant a few seeds from time to time and when they're big enough I transplant them to spaces here and there. We love boiled cabbage, fried cabbage, and cabbage rolls; also unrolled cabbage, which is practically the same thing. And don't forget cole slaw. I do have to watch for cabbage worms, but Sevin dust gets rid of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, this cabbage hasn't had any worms that I have found. We do a lot of stir fry, stews, cole slaw and just last weekend, started some fermenting for sauerkraut.

      Delete
  5. I made grape jam out of 3 vines on the side of one house I lived in. Be on the outlook for feathery spider webs. I forgot what I sprayed on them. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I haven’t seen anything. I actually harvested one small bunch yesterday, two week after writing this post.

      Delete
  6. So nice to see everything doing so well. You all have put a lot of work into it and it's paid off!

    I've never done well with cabbage because of cabbage moths. It's a real battle to keep them from destroying everything in the cabbage family. Yours look really good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose they just haven’t found us yet.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the success of the cabbages! The peaches LOOK nice, even if they're hard. Hopefully they'll fatten up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They never did fatten up but they started softening. Unfortunately bugs started getting into them so we picked what we could and hope they ripen the rest of the way.

      Delete
  8. Looks great Ed!

    I may have to try Napa cabbage soon, as it is what I use for making Sauerkraut. I find it a little more sweet than standard cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying our hand at sauerkraut this time around and have three quart jars fermenting right now.

      Delete

Post a Comment