Framed

Still on the road and if things went well, we are somewhere in western New York state by now.


 When we moved into this house some 11 years ago, we made the decision to keep all the purchased artwork, which wasn't much, boxed up and eventually sold it. Instead, we opted to only hang up original artwork created by us on our walls. For me, that is mostly enlargements of my photography but for my wife, it is oil paintings that she has done. Although they hang throughout the house, our main entry hall has too large walls that we have used for smaller artwork and the best of the best done by our kids. We hung up a number of them earlier this spring during spring cleaning but there were three that couldn't be hung because they didn't have anything to hang them by. 

We had a framer here in town but it was always quite expensive to use them and they have retired anyway and the shop has since closed. There is a large box store hobby shop that supposedly does framing as well but I have never used them. Since these three really don't need to be professionally framed, as a medical diploma might need to be, I decided to just make my own frames. I bought a single piece of poplar and spend a morning cutting a simple beveled profile on it and cutting out the various pieces. Today I have glued them together and reinforced the corners with slices of much harder oak wood. Tomorrow I hope to cut those pieces flush, sand everything and paint the frame matt black to match all the other frames in the hallway. Hopefully sometime this weekend, we will have three more originals added to our collection. For reference, the smallest frame is about 10 inches wide by 12 inches tall.


Flash forward a week, and above you see the finished results ready for my wife to decide where they go so I can hang them. The ones one the left were done by my wife many many years ago and hung in the old farmhouse until recently. The one on the right was done by my youngest during spring break when her older sister was away on her trip.  The all add a nice splash of color to our house interior. 

Comments

  1. Looks great Ed! Did you have glass cut to size, or just use glass from other frames?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all painted of canvas board so I didn’t need or use glass.

      Delete
  2. That one on the far left has a kind of Van Gogh feel to it! Good job on the frames. Framing is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent about $20 on wood and paint and have enough left over for another frame or two.

      Delete
  3. Your women are talented, and so are you wit the frames and all of the woodwork tat you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the paintings! As you know, most of my artwork was done by my older daughter. It's special to see it hanging in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy then versus those that are purchased.

      Delete
  5. I collect art and take great enjoyment seeing them on our walls. And you can make frames!!! I have a couple of new acquisitions that need frames. Wish you were here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll consider some freelance work for room and board in Hawaii!

      Delete
  6. Nice frames and I like the artwork. -Jeff. https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frames are hard to make, so you did great! The artwork is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment