Twice As Many Tomatoes As Before

 


The next morning following a rain and two days after a prior rain, we went down to the farm garden with hope in our hearts that it would have the must needed moisture. While there was signs of rain, the ground had been so dry that it just soaked it all up and it was still fairly dry on top. But the crops were looking 100% better than the prior week.

Left to right in the top photo are the mulched strawberries which have green berries on them, a row of peas, a row of watermelon radishes that are looking quite well, another row of peas, a missing row that we planted carrots in that never came up, a row part potato and part onion and a full row of onions. The peas are way behind and will likely not produce much but with some scattered showers and cooler temps in the forecast for the next week, we haven't given up hope on them yet. 


I'm not sure who asked on a previous post but here is the asparagus bed after a light picking. Most of the spears are in the bolting stage and I will continue to let them bolt. I don't know if they produce seed or not. But the stalks will dry out at the end of the year and provide material to burn the bed in late winter again to clean it off and warm up the ground a little early. 


Well the peach tree survived the late freeze as it is loaded with fruit everywhere. Last year we got a total of two peaches from it so perhaps this year we will do a bit better.


Above is our blackberry/raspberry patch in front with some grapes in the background. The blackberries are going to town and the raspberries seem to be doing alright. The grapes on the other hand are still quite small and just have a few leaves on each vine. The plastic in the far background is my wife's cut flower patch. 


If you recall, our previous tomato crop succumbed to the dry conditions and so we replanted all of them with another couple flats of tomatoes and hand carried water to them last week. Although they hadn't really grown any in the week that followed, they were still alive and so we added to them with some more of the stragglers from our greenhouse and for good measure, drove to a nearby store for a deli sandwich and picked up a couple more flats of tomatoes that we larger than the ones we planted last week. So we doubled our tomato crop this trip. We still have a handful of tomato plants in our greenhouse but we are going to let them get a lot bigger before transplanting them. All the dark spots are where we carried water for them. Also in those spots are some kohlrabi plants and some cabbage plants that are a project of my MIL. I have never had luck growing cabbage or head lettuce. 


So this was our total harvest for the week. A couple large handful of asparagus, one watermelon radish and a few onions for cooking. 

Comments

  1. I had grown many tomatoes from seed and while hardening them off before planting last week, I left them exposed and was gone when a big storm came up and most had broken stems... so I went to the greenhouse to buy a flat of various types of tomatoes. Thankfully, it was the only plants that were damaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing tomatoes is a pretty common occurrence when they are younger. I've lost them to hail, frosts, too wet and now too dry. But generally, we always seem to get a crop if we keep sticking more in the ground.

      Delete
  2. That asparagus doesn't look anything like I imagined it. (I think I had asked previously what the plants look like when they leaf out.) I thought they'd be much more feathery, like fennel. Wonder what happened to your carrots?

    It's hard for me to imagine living in a place with so much space. Gardening in the city is a much more compact affair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it is fully bolted, it will get more feathery like fennel. I'll try to get another picture when that happens. I'm not sure about the carrots. Either the seed didn't germinate or something about the moisture (or lack there of) and soil temperatures caused them not to germinate. In the past, we have never done really well with carrots and have only grown some nice ones on rare years. I don't think our climate here is right for them.

      Delete
  3. I'm quite jealous of your peaches since a late freeze ruined all our chances. Keeping my fingers crossed for some decent tomatoes this year. My daughter (south of me) is already getting yellow cherry tomatoes. I'm jealous of her, too. I'd gladly take that harvest you show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be too jealous yet. Last year it bloomed really well and produced only two peaches.

      Delete
  4. Lots of promising produce! I love fresh peaches and home grown tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can barely keep up with my little garden patch. Yours is huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can barely keep up with it too and it is half the size it has been the last several years!

      Delete
  6. Gosh! I guess you never have to go to the market for produce. Awesome sauce!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment