Bluebirds

 


You may recall the above picture I posted awhile back of the five eggs in our bluebird house. Based upon the temperatures and how well the male feeds the female, incubation can be anywhere from 13 to 20 days. We had three nights below freezing so I figured it would be on the upper end of that range but that male must have been feeding his bride really well because they hatched probably at the 13 day mark.

This what I found when I stuck my phone into their nest this past Tuesday. I'm guessing they are a day old at this point. According to my neighbor, bluebirds are very tolerant parents and don't mind being disturbed by photography. They don't abandon their nest just because I stuck the end of my phone into the narrow slow between the roof and the top edge of the nest to take a picture. Well, technically they do because they will fly off to a nearby tree and keep watch and then return when I am done so it is a temporary abandonment. Still, I try to be a kind neighbor and only try to snap a picture when they are off on one of their many food hunting expeditions.

The following day, I took the above picture which wasn't focused really well. I sometimes have trouble with nest straw robbing me of automatic focus since I physically can't see the resulting photo until after it is taken. I checked it when I pulled my phone out of the nest but was in direct sunlight and so it appeared alright until I got inside. At that point, I decided it wasn't worth another disturbance. But they have fattened up a bit already.

By day three, they had enough control of their necks to open up their beaks wide hoping for a tasty morsel from me. Instead they just got their picture taken. 

One of these days, I would really like a birdhouse with a built in camera connected to the wifi of my house. Years ago I found one such birdhouse but it was overseas and appeared to be defunct. Find one would allow me to remotely check on them more often and get better pictures. The early days are always pretty boring as the birds just lay in a heap trying to stay warm and not expend energy. Later before they fledge, there will be a little more movement, usually in the form of hungry open mouths to see.

Comments

  1. When I lived on Skidaway, there was an osprey nest that had a wifi camera over it and everyone followed the cycle--it'd often be the talk of neighbors. That last photo of their open mouths is classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a similar setup nearby for eagles. The big difference is that with eagles, there seems to be a parent on top of the chicks for much of the time early on when things are interesting where bluebirds largely leave their nests unguarded for long periods of time during the daylight hours.

      Delete
  2. As they get older, mind your nose if they seem to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From previous experiences, they act more like broody teenagers and just glare at my intrusion.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the pictures Ed. The cycle of life always reminds me of the fact that nothing is every quite as bad as I think.

    I should think that mounting a small camera in a birdhouse would be pretty easy to do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mounting the camera is easy. Retrieving the data is a bit more complicated unless I want to mess around and swap out SD cards on an active nest which often involved unmounting and remounting the camera. I'm holding out for some sort of wireless option that perhaps I could stream on a television screen, computer monitor or phone screen in real time and those setups have been hard to find.

      Delete
  4. Those mouths really do make a vivid target for mama bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be hard to miss as they take up a lot of the nest!

      Delete
  5. So cool! Love those pictures of little birdies growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more pictures on the way so stay tuned.

      Delete
  6. I love the photo with their beaks wide open--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They cooperated that time. Some of the next pictures I couldn't get them to cooperate and open up for my camera.

      Delete
  7. I love that last photo. Those yellow maws make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it and discovered by accident that when young, if I just tap on the side of their bird house they open right up. But soon their eyes will open and then I will just get glares from them.

      Delete
  8. It is always amazing to see how quickly they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realize bluebirds have such a day variance in egg incubation. Interesting! A birdhouse with a built-in wifi camera would be fantastic! A very fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that either until my neighbor got me started with them. I would have guessed that all fowl follow some sort of schedule.

      Delete
  10. A lovely process to witness. In the last image it is as if they have reached the last line of the song, "My Way" which they are blasting out in unison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps their is an A.I. that can produce that song!

      Delete
  11. Pretty cool, Ed. Maybe throw in a little hot tub and a media room for the birdies too. Ha. Seriously, a birdhouse with a camera would be nice to have and fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only after I get those added to my house. Until then, they can just cope.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing this, Ed. This is totally amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment