Bluebirds III

 Hopefully next week, my blogging can return to normal. Until then, don't be worried if your comment isn't published in a timely manner. 

The bluebirds are growing fast and now have blue tinged wing tips, a sign that fledging is a day soon arriving. They still won't look at me yet, preferring not to see death coming. Both parents are non-stop finding food and flying it back to the nest, at least as long as I can see before dark closes in. I don't know at this point if the parents spend any time actually inside the nesting box. It lacks room for them. Occasionally I see one or the other of the parents sitting on top of the nesting box, probably taking a breather for a few seconds before heading off again.

Above is day 14, I think since hatching and they now have a white feathered ring around their eyes which signals the last day humans are supposed to actively monitor them so not to risk premature fledging which could start in another day or two. At least for front opening boxes which I have. For top opening, one can monitor them for another couple days. So for now, I will have my other camera with telephoto lens on it at ready and will try to capture any fledging activity I might be present too. 

Comments

  1. Exciting! I'll breathe a sigh of relief once they're out of the nest, even though it's a big bad world out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've grown so much and now look like (mostly) adult birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet keeping their bellies filled is an exhausting job! They're starting to get pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had some bluebirds--I should do photos, but I've only once looked inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they're already getting blue feathers! Sounds like raising baby birds is a busy business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty fascinating, Ed. And so interesting how the parents know what to do, i.e. get them food and bring it back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always amazing to me how fast a baby bird goes from naked and alien looking to a feathered bird and then *blink(* a flying one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going backwards and I see how much bigger the baby bluebirds had gotten. It makes it even sadder to know what will happen to them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment