Bluebirds II

 

The bluebirds are growing fuzzier and stronger and they can now hold their heads up alongside of the nest in between parental treats. That is why I suspect we lost one of the bluebirds. Either the egg didn't hatch or one didn't survive the initial couple days. I have never been able to see all five bodies at once and was always assuming the other one was underneath the scrum but now that they are older, I suspect it was just an egg that didn't hatch. 

I asked my neighbor who the bird house belongs too what happens if the egg doesn't hatch or if the young chick dies? Does the adult birds carry out the remains of the egg or the chick? He didn't know. But again, it makes me wish I had a video camera instead of just sticking my phone in there once a day.


This picture was taken seven days after they hatched, or at least I think they hatched. As I open up the box front, there is maybe a one inch slot between the top of the nest and the roof of the box. This is where I stick the camera end of my phone and with the proper angle, I am able to focus somewhat and take a picture of the nest contents. On this particular time though, as I looked at that slot, I distinctly saw a baby bird giving me the evil eye and when I stuck my phone in, they all had their heads looking anyway but up. They are starting to get feathers already and it still looks like only four chicks.  As full as the nest is looking, they still have another 10 days to go before fledging. 


Finally, yesterday in real time and nine days after hatching, the feathers are distinctly longer and I and definitely getting the evil eye either because I don't look like a bird or I don't have a worm in my mouth. I'm not inclined to figure out which. 

Comments

  1. I'll keep tuned to this station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to get some pictures of them actually leaving the nest but I expect that will be pure luck if I do.

      Delete
  2. That's a good question about what happens when a nestling dies. I have no idea. You're getting great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that they are a fixed unmoving target with non-aggressive parents somewhere in the neighboring trees.

      Delete
  3. They are starting to look like birds and not like mini-dinosaurs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They are pretty ugly when they are first born.

      Delete
  4. Maybe dangle a string on your phone. And ask the mommy and daddy what happened to their 5th child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried asking but they are too busy keeping these for fed for questions from me!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad they're growing. IMO, there's nothing attractive about a newly hatched bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think chickens are pretty cute compared to these things fresh out of the egg. But it doesn't take long to lose the ugliness.

      Delete
    2. Here's what Google says about an egg not hatching: "Birds will realize at some point whether their egg or eggs are fertile or not. If it's a single egg, they may just remove it.

      However, if the whole clutch doesn't hatch over some time, they may just abandon it all and begin again somewhere else."

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info! I haven't seen the bottom of the nest since they hatched so perhaps after they fledge, I might get a clue.

      Delete
  6. Wow. What a difference a few days make. Those birds grew up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very quickly! But as a parent, I can appreciate that sort of speed on certain occasions.

      Delete
  7. OH wow! I first saw bluebirds in Yellowstone about 10 years ago and was struck by the vibrancy of their color. It will be fun to see what these chicks will look like soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall the chicks having much blue on them when they fledge but one of their parents is a bright blue. The other one is more brownish with blue highlights.

      Delete

Post a Comment