Almost a Swinger

 

Funny how things just seem to get in the way. Late last fall, after putting the finishing touches on the greenhouse, my wife requested I make her a porch swing. When we added the addition onto the house, we added a covered front porch, something I have always wanted, and made plans to someday hang a porch swing, something my wife wanted. I couldn't very well say no to her though I did caution that cold weather was soon approaching and I might not get it done until next spring.

Cold weather did indeed put a halt to my gluing activities in the garage and so it sat collecting dust until a warm stretch earlier this spring when I was able to put some time on it and get it nearly assembled before running into problems. I intentionally made this project somewhat of a challenge by using cedar. Cedar is a beautiful wood and readily available for a reasonable price in the form of deck boards but it is brittle and not easy to work with. It is very light but can split over time when adding screws and such. I increased my chances by making the pieces thicker than called for to add more sustenance to them and have been pre drilling and filling in all the screw holes as I go with watertight plugs of wood and glue. But over winter, a couple of the support pieces underneath the arm rests both developed cracks that rendered them unusable. Long story short, it was my poor choice of some pieces with sapwood that caused the issue. But I had to remake some more and I eventually did.

Normal spring time activities such as garden planting, mushroom hunting, tiny house building, normal end of the year school activities, and a need for recovery and personal recharging got in the way and here it is already warming up nicely and my porch swing was still in pieces. Finally the stars aligned, the lawn was freshly mowed, no activities requiring my presence and my body was fully recharged, so I blew off the dust and got it at last completely together. All I have to do is attach the hanging hardware parts and hang it though that is a more complicated process than writing those words. Being a new covered front porch, I don't have preinstalled hangers and so must make my own.

It is doable and I plan to start doing just that as long as the stars continue to align. I just hope that the cedar doesn't fall into a pile a kindling with the first person that uses it. Time will tell on that.

Comments

  1. Soon you will be on your rocker, so to speak. In the meantime, however, you are still off your rocker. Ah … morning dad humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the morning dad humor, (American spelling)! It is always much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Will you volunteer to be the first to try it out? I look forward to seeing it in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try it out but I doubt I swing with any amount of motion.

      Delete
  3. Well, it LOOKS great, anyway! I'm sure it will hold up just fine. I have confidence in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not, I will have a pile of nice smelling kindling to start fires next winter.

      Delete
  4. Maybe pay the girls to sit in in first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is, that all the hardware for holding it up to the ceiling says in fine print, not for suspending things overhead! I never noticed that before. I'm guessing it is probably due to lawsuits.

      Delete
  5. Super excited to see the final results Ed. Also, plus one for having the Attention Getting post title of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my mind just works that way.

      Delete
  6. What a beauty! You inspire me to fix a wooden bench that we retrieved from the neighbor's trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a double Adirondack love seat on our back deck that I built 20 years ago that is starting to get long in the tooth. One of these days, I'm going to have to rebuild that because it will be unfixable.

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful! And I love the way cedar smells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cedar smell too and I usually associate it with Christmas since we use them for our Christmas tree.

      Delete
  8. I'm guessing it's western cedar? I suppose the pieces developing the cracks before assembly was fortunate; it would likely have been a pain to replace them! It looks really good Ed. It will be lovely on yourcovered porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know but I'm guessing you are right. It was just sold as cedar decking material at the local big box store.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on getting your stars aligned, Ed. Do you have any tips on how to do that? Ha. I am glad it all worked out for you and hope the rocker keeps on rocking until it is no longer needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest starting by rolling a snake eyes twice in a row before rolling a seven with a pair of dice.

      Delete
  10. It is going to be great, Ed! I did not know that about cedar, and I agree it is a beautiful wood. I look forward to seeing the finished product and hearing about the first swing. Well done, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks beautiful and very sturdy! I'm constantly amazed by you, Ed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment