Wind Chill Pearl

Some of you may recall back in late summer of last year, we put ourselves in the market for another vehicle. My wife's vehicle is getting long in the tooth by the number of year it is but has pretty low mileage. We have a daughter that has been working after school, perhaps this summer as well, and will soon be headed off for college. Although maybe not known in other parts of this country or world, driving is a mandatory thing here because there is no mass transportation. Then there was the pandemic market after effects. We had been hearing rumors of people ordering and then waiting for upwards of 18 months for their vehicle to arrive. 

So we put in an order for a RAV4 Prime which is their hybrid vehicle that also has battery storage enough for electric only driving for up to 40 miles. My thought was that my wife could drive back and forth to work, those low miles, on battery power only and then if she wanted to drive the 100+ miles to the city to shop, she could using the hybrid gas powered engine. It seemed the best of both worlds and came in a small enough package my wife would feel comfortable driving it.

We've been waiting every since. I think we were called a couple times over that eight or nine months but always for other vehicles that didn't interest us such as an all electric sports car and I think a full size hybrid SUV. Mostly we heard nothing. 

As time went by, I decided perhaps I should expand my mind a little bit and consider just their regular hybrid version of the RAV4 as well. It is essentially the same as the Prime but lacks the extra batteries and 40 miles of pure electric driving capacity. It still has the same gas powered hybrid engine that powers the electric motors that turn the wheels and thus gets twice as good of fuel mileage as the standard gas powered one does. It is a step in the right direction but not as far as we were willing to go. But they are in short supply as well.

My biggest worry about all of this is that one day, we would get a call saying they finally had a Prime or a Hybrid on a boat heading their way but it was white. It isn't my favorite of colors for a vehicle. It shows dirt really easily. If that happened, we would have to make a gut call, do we get it or wait another year to 18 months for the next one which could also end up being white? 

As it turned out, we got the call yesterday. They still haven't received a Prime but they had a Hybrid model on a boat heading towards the west coast of the United States with our local dealer's name on it. It was "Wind Chill Pearl" on the color description but looks very much white to me. Were we interested in it? We had a few hours to decide before they would sell it to the next one on the list.

My wife happened to be on a plane heading to a conference in California at the time but was slated to land within an hour. When we finally got in touch, we talked it over and decided to accept it. I suspect with the high interest rates, slowing economy and more computer chips hitting the market, that the market for cars is softening after two years and more will be available in the coming year. But other than the color, which my wife doesn't mind and she is the one driving it, it ticked all the boxes for us other than it would have been nice to be a Prime. 

There was some uncertainty for us about getting a Prime. Could we charge it with a standard outlet fast enough or would we have to complete an expensive electrical upgrade to our house to put in a faster charging station? How well would the extra batteries and components last in our rough on vehicle rural environment? Finally, the Prime is a about 20% more expensive that the Hybrid model. It is worth the premium at this point in our lives?

I let the dealer know and put a down payment on it to reserve it though it is on a boat in the Pacific Ocean somewhere and will not actually make it to this part or rural Iowa until late next month. My oldest is of course thrilled beyond words because she can start using my wife's old RAV4 more often instead of borrowing it when available. It will certainly reduce the number of trips I have to make dropping her off and picking her up for her extra curricular activities and job. But it will be another vehicle to maintain until she completes college and is off on her own somewhere. At least the uncertainty will hopefully be over in another month.

Somewhere on the Pacific Ocean




Comments

  1. Ah, the creative names that the automotive industry uses for car colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could save on printing costs by just saying white.

      Delete
  2. I have had one white car; most of the others have been dark, and two have been black. In my experience, white shows the dirt less. Maybe that wouldn’t apply to mud, but I find that regular dirt shows up more on dark cars. Maybe my eyes are off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be the first white vehicle we have owned so I hope you are right. I have owned a black vehicle before and it was dirty the instant it left the garage. Perhaps I am just jaded as the last several vehicles we have owned were various shades of metallic gray when hide dirt very well.

      Delete
  3. Ed, I will say that having teenagers able to drive themselves to their own events is an amazing time saver (as well as running errands!). I would not have said that when they first started, but I quickly came around.

    I have always been largely indifferent to car colors. My major concern has always been 1) Gas mileages; and 2) Air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous when she first started driving but like you, I've come to realize what my life might be like again someday, when I'm not making four trips downtown a day.

      It may be a gravel thing. If I spent most of my time on pavement, I might not be so concerned about color.

      Delete
  4. My son and his wife love their hybrid. My daughter and her husband bought an electric car. They bought at the end of the summer before last. They still haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have never driven one yet, I'm sure I will like the hybrid too and will probably continue to buy only hybrid from here on out if available. It seems like a good compromise for us that live in rural America where pure electric isn't practical.

      I certainly hope you meant they put a down payment down and not that they paid full price for a car they haven't seen in a year! I would be a tad upset at the loss of that much money for an entire year with nothing to show for it.

      Delete
    2. They picked up their car today.

      Delete
    3. Great news! I hope they like it.

      Delete
  5. I've found silver to show the least amount of dirt, but that can all depend on the type of dirt. I bet "pearl" will have more of a gloss than a flat white. I also bet it will look nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in strange territory in that I have bought a car sight unseen, test drive not taken. I guess the easing factor is that we have a RAV4 already so it shouldn't be a large leap to adjust to a newer model.

      Delete
  6. That's a very pretty car! I love Toyotas although I drive a Subaru. I've had two Toyotas, a Celica and a Camry. Like John, I've had dark cars and they show the dirt (and rain splatter) WAY more than white. As you know, my older daughter and husband drive a plug-in hybrid and love it, especially now that it's back from Montana. (finally!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Subaru too but we don't have a dealer anywhere close so that rules them out for me. Fun fact, I drove a Subaru for a year when in college. It previously belonged to my grandparents and rusted out catastrophically which is why I only drove it for a year. The price was right though.

      Delete
  7. It's amazing how far in advance you have to plan to get a car nowadays. Remember when you could just walk onto a car lot and drive one away?! (Not that long ago!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it wasn't that long ago! If I could get over my fear of populated places, I would live in London where a car is not necessary. I really enjoy the mass transportation system there whenever I'm visiting and can't imagine dealing with the traffic and parking issues by owning a car.

      Delete
  8. A good decision! I like white cars - very visible at night. And white is easier to keep clean than black. I have a hybrid SUV. It is easy to just put gas and have great mileage if I don't drive with a heavy foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! You and the others who have said white isn't as bad as black/dark are making me feel better. We had hoped for something bright like a metallic blue but it just wasn't meant to be this time around.

      Delete
  9. For the first time in my life, we order a vehicle a few months ago (Subaru Forester touring model)... Before, I've always just picked out something on the lot. When we decided it was what we wanted, the dealer had one on the boat and we had to wait about a month. So far, we're pretty happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the Forester has a big fan club but we don't see many of them around here just because there isn't a dealer anywhere near here selling them.

      Delete
  10. Up here on the Tundra of North Central Minnesota white cars blend in real good with snow banks. We had one white car and I was not a fan that was before it was a fad to put stuff on the antenna like a red flag! We have had several black cars...since we live on a gravel road our cars are always dusty:) I hope you like the new vehicle and that it arrives as promised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a couple decades since I lived up on the frozen tundra of Minnesota. But I can instantly see how a white car might be problematic.

      Delete
  11. I think you made a good choice. My only experience with an electric car was during our trip to England last summer. The things are so quiet you're not sure they're on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe next time we will get one. Since we typically drive our cars into high mileage, the electric cars of that distant future may really blow my mind.

      Delete
  12. I think a hybrid is an excellent idea. All electric vehicles seem to require lifestyle changes that take people by surprise. I got a chuckle from their color name. Interior house paint is the same way as there must be 50 shades of white available. I suppose they think it has significant marketing value, but I agree that white is white, no matter what they call it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one should require no change as it still needs gas to go. But since the motor is essentially a highly tuned battery charger, it should get really good gas mileage. My wife does have a heavy foot accelerating though and with all the torque electric motors can provide, it might force her to adapt her driving style.

      Delete

Post a Comment