Swing Progress

 

A couple weeks ago as one of those early spring warm streaks rolled by, I dusted off the porch swing project that I had started very late last fall. Glue has a finite temperature range to work with and in an unheated garage, that means that I have to flow with the weather. After figuring out where I left off, I glued the back to the seat and started making the arm rests on either side. 

Because this is sort of an experiment making it out of cedar which isn't the best wood for such things, over wintering has been hard on it. Some of the arm pieces had developed cracks in them and so I had to remake a few pieces not shown.

Due to the nature of the design, I will have to screw into end grain which is the strongest of joints. To help reinforce that, one can insert dowels perpendicular to the end grain and then screw through the dowel. But I didn't have any dowels on hand. So after scavenging the scrap pile, I found a short piece of oak that would do just find if I could turn it into a dowel.

Probably a dozen times I have seen this done on YouTube but have never attempted to do it myself. Within five minutes, I had made a quick jig out of a scrap board, a tapered hole and a sharp chisel held in place on top. I chucked up the oak scrap in my drill and within seconds had a solid oak dowel. It worked out great.



Comments

  1. Looks impressive Ed!

    As usual, I cannot imagine living in a place where glue does not flow certain times of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really depressing at times like this when I want to accomplish things. Like now, our days start off well before the cure range by the time my garage reaches that range, I have maybe an hour or two to do something before our normal schedule interferes. I wrote this over a week ago and have accomplished nothing since!

      Delete
  2. I am a visual learner. At coffee, a friend described her crochet project. It was meaningless to me. I asked my wife if she followed it. She said yes. Her husband demo-ed by folding a napkin. It made sense then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn better by watching as well but I guess from my engineering background, I have a pretty keen sense of spatial recognition so can usually get by by description as well.

      Delete
  3. I'd forgotten about this project (I've slept since then) so I'm glad to be reminded of it. It's looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I can finish it up soon. I'm dying to get onto other projects.

      Delete
  4. I would love to have a swing, especially if I could get a talented craftsman like you to make me one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about talented but I do like working with wood and am willing to try making things versus buying them.

      Delete
  5. Awesome way to make a dowel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used dowels in the past but down here, other than soft pine or occasionally oak, there isn't much of a selection of species. But this method allows the species to be as endless as my scrap pile!

      Delete
  6. It looks great! We have a cedar deck out back...we left it weather naturally and it does have a few cracks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on oiling this once I get it assembled which will help with the cracks.

      Delete
  7. I'd forgotten about your porch swing and am really happy to see you making progress again. Looking forward to seeing it in action someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready to get it off my assembly table so I can move onto other things!

      Delete
  8. Once again, I'm impressed at your woodworking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a great craftsman! Wood skills elude me. I can do plastic pretty well - using polymer clay and an English product called Sugru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a skill I know nothing about! Perhaps a post is in order.

      Delete
  10. Glad it worked out for you, Ed, and it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment