Irish or Scottish


If one breaks down my DNA into regions, the largest part by far is Scottish, and yet I have yet to find a single ancestor that lived within the current boundaries of modern Scotland. I have a number that lived in Northern England and are probably contributing to that Scottish component but all of those are on my mother's side of the family, which contributes only 8% of my overall DNA profile. On my paternal side, 36% of my DNA is Scottish which adds up to a total of 44% of my DNA is Scottish. I feel as if I should be eating haggis at least once a week.

The reason I start off with this, goes back to the Grim branch of my family tree which I wrote in the last post. Nearly every person I have ever talked to or read, associates the Grim family from the paternal side of my family tree, with the famous Grim brothers of Germany who wrote the fairy tales. Since my paternal side of my DNA has exactly 0% of German DNA, I find it highly unlikely. My guess is that my Grim ancestors probably came from Scotland or Ireland, the latter of which I am about to explain.

Adam Grim Sr. was born around the start of the Revolutionary War but the only U.S records I have of him start in 1830. I have a couple verbal description of him from Pennsylvania county history books that describe him as coming to the area in the early part of the 1800s. One says in the 1814-1815 time frame and another in the context of one of his sons says around 1827. None of these say where he came from.  County histories, commonly written in the 1880's many years after the fact, are notorious for being inaccurate but generally do have some of the larger facts correct. So it has always been of interest that Adam Sr's oldest son Abraham Grim, lists him as coming over from Ireland in 1822, even if all subsequent records say he was born in Pennsylvania. A lot of Adam Sr records list his birth origins as unknown.

The thing that fascinates me is that the 1822 date and the 1827 date are fairly close together and since I have never found any records prior to 1830, this seems to jive that this family probably immigrated during the 1820's. But from where? Checking the Grim surname against Irish surname databases show that is is extremely rare. In fact, one database showed there was exactly three people with the surname Grim living in Ireland in 1901. Doing the same thing for Scotland, yields better results though most seem to favor the Grim surname as being from England or Germany. 

None of this answers my question of where the Grim family comes from nor who were my Scottish ancestors on my paternal side. But this does probably answer of why I watched the move Braveheart for the umpteenth time this past weekend. FREEDOM!

Comments

  1. Idon’t. Know the DNA breakdown as my test some time ago yielded very little information. I do have some Scottish and Irish but mostly English, it seems. Was your ancestry from northern England in Yorkshire. I seem to have post-Norman roots from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a number of them, all on my maternal side of the family, come from the Yorkshire region.

      Delete
  2. Those in my family who have done the DNA testing and who've done genealogical research tell me there is more Irish blood/ancestry there than Scottish, English, or Welsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found a lot more Irish ancestors and Scottish and yet Irish is the smallest percentage in my DNA profile.

      Delete
  3. I've discovered that where people come from is less important in genealogical terms than their ethnic identity. My mom's maternal side were from the Piedmonte region of NW Italy and were culturally Italian, but were genetically French according to her DNA. Although several branches of my paternal tree were from Northern England, they were evidently of Scottish origin and just lived in England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, movement affects thing. Also the time frame. Modern DNA tests only reflect the last 500 years or so. Beyond that, the movement thing comes into play again.

      Delete
  4. I've not done a DNA test. I would assume that I would have a lot of Scottish blood along with some English and Irish and Dutch/German, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from pictures of you in a kilt, I would have guess a lot of Scottish blood too!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you've got some tantalizing tidbits; hopefully the dead end will someday be solved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am intrigued about taking a DNA test but I don't know what I do with the results. Would I do more research to learn more about the family tree or would it just gather dust on my desk? But I do need to have a project when I get to retire so maybe it will stay under consideration. Good luck to you, Ed, in finding additional clues about your Scottish side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, taking the test simply for your DNA profile isn't worth the price of admission. It really is a small list of percentages that really add nothing to your life and occasionally, might give you a discussion topic if you have some unusual areas in your profile. But they are very useful when it comes to genealogy work in general and tracking down distant cousins and sources of information.

      Delete

Post a Comment