Driving Into the Mouth of the Storm

Normally looking at a forecast like we were facing, we would just stay home. But my MIL was waiting for her third and final flight to our local Urban Jungle and all the online tracking sites were saying it was still on time, so we really had no choice. We hopped in the car and drove towards the Urban Jungle.

My wife really wanted to stop at the zoo there with our youngest. (Oldest was on spring break. More about that later.) I had been to that particular zoo hundreds of times during the years of my wife's residency with our oldest, it was cold outside and was forecasted to start blowing snow at any minute, so I just dropped them off and drove a quarter mile down the road to a fast food joint where I could read in a warm environment for an hour. I returned to pick them up when they were cold and frozen and we drove downtown.

The snow was really coming down and already the streets were starting to get slick but we made it to a favorite of ours that we hadn't eaten at since my wife's residency years. Despite the sign showing it was open during that particular time of the day, it was closed. Since we had already paid for our parking spot, we ate next door at a conveniently open Mediterranean place. By the time we left there, the snow had really added up. Our AWD vehicle was still able to move but and stops were a matter of how far you wanted to slide. All lane markings were covered so although I knew most streets we were traveling had multiple lanes, everyone was just driving down the middle of them all in single file and I followed suit, leaving plenty of distance between me and the person in front.

We headed towards the airport but since we still had a few hours to kill, ducked into an art museum. As soon as we got in there, the security guards were fretting about the weather so it wasn't much of a surprise when 15 minutes later they announced that the museum was closing. I guess they were worried about getting home. With no real option and no desire to travel any more on the roads unless we had too, we slipped and slid the rest of the way to the airport and sat out in the parking lot napping for a couple hours.

By them, my MIL's plane was halfway on the last leg of her journey when the phone rang with her number on the caller ID. Uh oh. This can't be good. It turned out she had missed her flight and was booked on the next flight, five hours later, the last flight of the evening.

Not optimistic that it would even happen and definitely not wanting to drive the 100+ miles home in this weather, which was still heavily snowing, we found a motel room a couple miles from the airport and slid and spun our tires there. We napped, ordered Chinese food delivered (and they agreed to deliver it in this weather) and bided our time. Finally the flight took off according to the app and no word from the MIL so 15 minutes before landing, we headed back to the airport. Although it was still snowing, it was much lighter. Since it was now late at night, there was little traffic and the snowplows had caught up a bit so the roads were in much better condition. Sill treacherous but drivable if one went slow and left plenty of room for stopping.  We got to the airport just as she landed and soon were on our way back to the motel.

We had no extra clothes or anything but we made do. The next morning, the roads were cleared to where we could make a speed limit trip home once we got away from the Urban Jungle. I was glad to be home again. I wished we hadn't had to tempt fate by driving in those conditions but our die had been cast and we had no choice. This time we survived the odds.

Comments

  1. Even so, it makes for a good story. Likely, it will become one of those "remember the time . . ." events in family reminiscences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the less likely I am to book flights during winter just for this reason.

      Delete
  2. What a perfectly horrid day for you. I will cancel almost anything to avoid travelling in a snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will too. If it had been my spouse, I might have even just told her to get a shuttle to the motel and I would pick her up the following day. But with my MIL, who is native to our soil and doesn't deal with new situations well, his wasn't an option and so my options were limited.

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed your MIL arrived. I thought you were going to say her second flight was cancelled and you'd made the trip for nothing! Considering the weather you packed in quite a few activities, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing the forecast, I told my wife that the odds of her arriving that day was less than 50%. I was shocked to see planes continue to land after we slid and spun our way into the parking lot. Evidently they were able to keep the runway clear enough. There were a few other flights on the board when we finally picked up my MIL, from other destinations and carriers and they were all delayed. I'm guessing it was due to their departure airport though.

      Delete
  4. Stories like this are why I prefer to enjoy snow vicariously. Where I live snow is the exception, not the rule, so we don't have snow plows or anything to clear the roads. The world just shuts down until it melts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are quickly coming to that point of the year when we can just wait and let it melt too. I am done scooping any snow where I live but in town, things gets a bit more hazardous if they do nothing.

      Delete
  5. You are a really good husband, father, and son-in-law. But next time, tell mother-in-law to travel in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I offered to just extend her ticket to stay overseas as long as she wanted. I'm not sure that is considered being a good son-in-law though!

      Delete
  6. Ed, this sort of thing is one of the few times the "Urban Jungle" is an advantage - as much as I deplore living here for any number of reasons, the fact we are 20 minutes from the airport makes pickups and dropoffs relatively pain free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. If I flew as often as you do, it would definitely be a factor to consider. But as it is, I have to fly or pick someone up about once a year and it takes me an hour and fifteen minutes to get there. Easy peasy unless there is a snow storm.

      Delete
  7. What an adventure! I would have been nervous but you're much more experienced at snow driving than I am. Glad that your MIL finally arrived and you could get home. But Urban Jungle? Are you talking about Des Moines? It's a charming city. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is the urban jungle to me, a place I have no desire to live. As the saying goes, I'm not nervous about my driving skills. I go slow, allow plenty of time to stop and unless I am at risk of getting deep enough to where the frame touches the snow and I become stuck, I feel like I can safely travel just about anywhere. But I am nervous about those around me, The entire time I was in the urban jungle, I was being tailgated and passed at high enough speeds that when the stoplight ahead turned red, those vehicles were fishtailing and sliding in efforts to get stopped in time without hitting others. Also, there were many people out and about that had no business being there with their front wheel drive vehicles on bald tires. I drove around several who were stationary other than their spinning front tires.

      Delete
  8. You obviously got more than you were expecting with the weather and your MIL's flight delay. While I know most flights are on time and everything goes smoothly, it sure seems like there are a lot of delays these days, not to mention cancellations and crazy stuff happening in the skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get heart palpitations anytime I start thinking about booking a multileg flight which is just about every flight I take from here.

      Delete
  9. Yee-ow. That is scary stuff. I hate driving in weather like that. What did your mil think of her room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is okay with it. She is still sorting through all her stuff trying to reduce it and rearranging things to her liking.

      Delete
  10. Wow! I do remember what it was like to drive in snow. NOT fun at all. You were very brave, but smart to wait out the storm in a motel. Glad it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weather has been wicked not only snow but visibility issues, glad you made the trip safely:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment