Artificial Intelligence On Painting MIL's Bedroom

 


Below is a portion of a blog post ChatGPT wrote about painting a mother-in-law's bedroom. In case you missed the news, ChatGPT is artificially intelligence used to write nearly anything you ask of it.

Painting a room can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it can also be daunting, especially when it's your mother-in-law's bedroom. You want to make sure that you choose the right colors, do a good job, and make your mother-in-law happy. Here are some tips to help you paint your mother-in-law's bedroom.

  1. Choose the Right Colors

Before you start painting, you need to choose the right colors for the room. The colors you choose should match your mother-in-law's style and personality. If she likes bold and bright colors, then you can choose a deep red or bright yellow. If she prefers more muted colors, then you can choose a soft blue or gray. It's important to keep in mind that the colors you choose will set the tone for the entire room.

I will spare you the entire article it wrote along with 7 more steps because we messed up on step number one which is what this post is about. 

My mother-in-law, texted a Benjamin Moore color sample to my wife and so when we picked up the paint, the guy at the counter of the Sherwin Williams store we use, typed in the code and came up with their custom version of it. I never saw the color myself and the clerk didn't verify the color with my wife. So when I started painting the room, I kept thinking that it was quite a bit darker than what I thought my mother-in-law would normally choose but since she had chosen it, who am I to question. So I painted the entire room. With such a small room, a dark color made it look even smaller.

When my wife got home, it was still nagging my brain and so I told my wife to check it and verify it was the right color before I proceed with a second coat. It wasn't. It wasn't even close. My wife showed me the color sample, the first time I had seen it, and it wasn't even close. So the next day I took the partial and remaining full can back to the paint store to figure out what had happened. The guy wasn't there but a gal was and she typed the code into their computer and verified the formula used by the guy wasn't the same as the formula she was being told to use. No idea of how that happened since both had the correct name, Artic Blue, above their respective formulas. She apologized and soon sent me on my way with two fresh cans of the right color of paint at no charge. I shudder to think of the process of what the local big box store would have made me undergo for their thinned down paint brands. 

Two more coats of paint later, I finished right before a weekend mini vacation and the carpet installation. Also the closet pieces are arriving too so it shouldn't be long before phase one of this project is completed. Phase one is having three habitable bedrooms ready. Phase two will be to use the rest of the flooring that I used for the basement bedroom and continue it down a hallway and across a family room. 



Comments

  1. That was a bit of a snag, but aside from time, it didn’t cost you anything. Besides, I expect that you are the kind of weirdo 😎🤓😇 who likes painting and was thrilled with the chance to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I don't mind painting, I wasn't thrilled to repeat my efforts!

      Delete
  2. Ed - I had to have a can of paint custom mixed to repair part of the ceiling at The Ranch. I happened to have a paint chip or two so I took it in - they color matched it and it was just about the same shade. Terribly odd that their own system miffed it, but you are right: trying to get that done at a Big Box store would have been much more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was the system as the second clerk typed in the same code we provided, and got the correct results. I'm guessing it was user error that did it in.

      Delete
  3. I like it and would love to have rooms with fun (bold or otherwise) colors on the walls. Unfortunately, when we built our house my husband only wanted white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband and I sound a like as do you and my wife! We did paint our house bold colors the first go round but it just made everything feel small, dark and then impossible to match accessories. The second time we went with a neutral light gray color for all the common areas and it is much better, even my wife agrees. But we have left the bedroom colors up to the occupants. I didn't show a before picture of this bedroom but it was a very bright neon pink!

      Delete
  4. That's a weird happening and could have been a disaster. It's something that I'm always nervous about. I had several gray colors on my family room wall to make sure that the color I chose had no hints of pink or yellow. Once the painters did the whole house, it would have been impossible to change without some big bucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess since I'm the painter-in-chief, I can always take it back to get retinted if the shade isn't quite right but fortunately that has never happened. This was my first time to ever return any paint.

      Delete
  5. I always get my paint from Home Depot, and specifically Behr. It has gotten really expensive but it goes on like butter. We are almost finished with the renovation. Hallelujah! What a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have one of those nearby. Behr is a well known brand and I'm sure makes good paint. My complaint is always with the store brands which have been watered down so that the price can be cheap but then it takes three to four coats to match a single coat from a quality brand. Also, the paint department at my local big box store, is about 1/4 miles from the entrance in the back corner of the store, there most likely will not be an employee there when you get there so you have to roam around and find another employee to page whomever is supposed to be working in the paint department on that particular time. If by chance I do find somewhere there, I find a huge line of people waiting for multiple cans of paint each and sometimes still deciding on colors with everyone behind them groaning with frustration.

      Delete
  6. When I first saw the first photo, I thought, she actually picked that? Then the story and the second photo. What a difference! I'm guessing your MIL will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEEEEEK! I saw the first picture and immediately thought, "I sure hope your mother in law had a say in the color choice." The final pictures are much more soothing. I can't wait to see what she thinks of it when she gets home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll find out that answer soon enough. She arrives in less than a week.

      Delete
  8. Good thing you checked with your wife! Glad you got it all straightened out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's awesome that they corrected their mistake with the two gallons of paint. However, they couldn't make up for the time and labor you'd already spent on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They couldn't and even if they had, I think we bear some burden not checking it in the store before walking out with it.

      Delete
  10. Since I work on photoshop, etc. a lot my brother said I should paint my office white (especially next to my computer). However, I'd already painted half of the room an off-white lightish gray. Didn't matter. Nobody notices the two colors... or maybe they're just not telling me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment