Progressing

 

My plan was to impress you with an "original" painting created by Dall-e 2, which for those not aware, it an artificial intelligence program that can do those sorts of things from a description one types in. I did so several weeks back thinking it might come in handy for a post where I have no picture to show but alas, it is having problems today, probably due to publicity traffic. Whenever I log in, there seems to be a problem. So I went back to plan B which is to rip a picture from Google's image search that is somewhat appropriate.

On a recent Friday, we at long last headed in to get our fourth Covid shot, which is the third booster. Because we all came down with Covid the week before it became available, we weren't eligible until around the first of the year. Yes that was nearly two months back but sometimes that is how things go in our household. But the stars aligned, school had been cancelled for the day the prior evening and by mid morning, it was a nice day to be out and about. So we walked into a walk-in clinic/pharmacy for our booster shot.

We were the only people there receiving any sort of shot, during our entire time there, only maybe four people walked in to pick up prescriptions and there were three workers behind the counter. So why did we finally walk out with shots in our arm two hours later? I'm not sure I have an answer. The entire hour and fifty minutes the workers never ceased doing something but it took that long to prepare all four shots and then only ten minutes to give them. 

All three of my prior shots has been Pfizer doses. The first one laid me low for a few hours the evening I took it but the subsequent two booster shots really had no effect. The first booster made my arm a little sore for a couple days and the second booster had no effect what so ever. So I fully expected to have similar reactions this time around and was counting on it because an organization I am part of had their biggest fundraiser of the year the following day which I always help working at and actually enjoy the day of labor I gladly give. The walk-in clinic only had Moderna boosters, the latest ones, and that was fine with me so into my arm I went and I went about my merry way the rest of the day without a problem.

I woke up in the wee hours of the morning shivering violently knowing immediately that I had a fever. I had taken acetaminophen before taking the shot but had not taken one before bed. I turned on the electric blanket and went back to sleep. When I finally got up that morning it was as I had run a marathon the day before lined with people who had hit me with rubber batons the entire route. My body ached, my mind ached and it was all I could do to stagger from the bedroom to the living room chair. There I slept about six hours of the next 12 and felt as if I could have slept more if those around me had let me. But the other three boosted individuals had absolutely no issues other than sore arms. Why I was hit harder can only be explained by "man-flu".

Finally at the early hour of 7, I drug myself back to bed and slept for 12 hours straight, something I haven't done in... well I'm not sure but probably decades. But when I woke up, I finally felt human again and was probably back to 90% of my normal energy levels with just a slightly sore arm. I don't regret getting the booster and would do it all again if it keeps me from getting Covid and possible loosing my sense of taste and smell for three months as the initial bout did. That was awful.

So I missed out on a weekend of working on the final bedroom but I'm making up for it today. I have the carpet ripped out, millions of staples holding padding down to the floor pulled up, walls prepped and one coat of paint on them. We made a last minute audible to redo the closet which was made from off the shelf components at a big box store with a little girl in mind. It just wasn't going to be optimal for a live in MIL. So I quickly designed another closet using EasyClosets.com and got it on order. This one is a lot cheaper since it is only a reach-in closet and about half the standard size. 

I think I'm going to make the deadline which as I write this is less than three weeks away. 

Comments

  1. We humans are such an odd and disparate lot. Who can tell what will affect whom. I have not been affected by any of the jabs, even when, like you, I was given Moderna in the last one. I was half expecting a reaction to that one because I had heard of it affecting others. Happily, I was fine. A small part of me, however, is jealous of all of the sleep. After posting of my 8-hour night, I am back to 5-6 hours, even less than 5 sometimes. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a head scratcher. I generally get a cold worse than any of my immediate family. Yet when I got Covid the first time, I only felt subpar for an afternoon, minus the eventual loss of two of my senses. My wife on the other hand, got Covid the first time and was down for almost a week before she felt normal.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry that you had a reaction this time, and such an uncomfortable one at that! As AC said, you just never know. All my shots and boosters were Moderna and, thankfully, none affected me much. My bout with Covid was somewhere in-between what you and your wife felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is what it is. I feel like I'm more immune now that my body has made a significant response than I do when I get no reaction at all after a booster. Not sure if that is true but it feels that way.

      Delete
  3. The Moderna shot is stronger, I think? I had my biggest reaction to the third shot but it was just a bit of fever and malaise. I went to bed and was fine the next morning. Glad you're back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were betting, I would guess it is because it was formulated for the Omicron variant where as the first three were for the original variant.

      Delete
  4. The Pfizer shot didn't affect me at all, but the Moderna also had me a little tired for a day. It didn't hit me like it did you though. Wow! I'm just really grateful for the shots and hope they keep me from getting a really bad case of COVID if it hits me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have all Moderna and only had minor problems the evening afterwards. I had my 3rd booster in September and sure enough, came down with Covid in December, but it was just like a bad cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a combined flu/covid shot this fall so we can just put all this behind us for good.

      Delete
  6. We have had Moderna before and the last time we got a Pfizer booster...it seemed easier than the others, we had to start new cards cause we ran out of space:0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment