1/3 Done... More or Less

 

I was able to get the floor installed okay and was pretty happy with it. There was one trouble spot working around the door jamb to the walk-in closet where no matter what I did, short of removing the entire door and frame, I just couldn't get the plank to seat with the other (due to not being able to angle the board) without beating on it which chipped a corner. Nothing a little superglue couldn't fix but still, something I will always see whenever I'm in the area which is hopefully very little.

I reinstalled all the baseboard trim and of course, exposed unpainted wall areas. But it isn't very noticeable, especially since I won't use this room very often, and so I'm punting that job till later on. I then hung up my daughter's custom made bookshelf I made years back from her upstairs bedroom to this one. She repainted it a dark green which she likes better than the bright white I painted it back then. I also took out the ceiling fan which she didn't like and replaced it with a more modern LED light that not only can remotely adjust lumens, but also be dimmed with a remote controller. 

The closet below came with original boards and wooden dowels bracketed to the wall, circa the early 1970's. The shelves were that particle board injected with some sort of epoxy that weighs a ton but still sags easily. I have redone all our closets in the house but this one and so I deemed it time and ripped out the old closet. Fortunately more modern closets are easily designed these days. I've used EasyClosets.com before and really like their product. You just type in the dimensions of the closet and it will automatically create a design for you which you can then customize almost to your heart's content. So I customized it a bit to give her a place to hang shirts, one for longer gowns, shelving for storage and four drawers for more storage. It all came in 12 boxes shipped right to my door and with fairly decent instructions to assemble them. They actually all hang off a metal bracket attached to the studs in the wall and covered with a white plastic cover that you might have noticed. This keeps things off the floor so it is easy to sweep or a convenient place to stash more stuff.

This room didn't have any baseboard trim and at some point I will probably buy a couple pieces and finish trimming it out just for an even more finished look but I suspect it won't happen until all the other bedrooms are finished, their occupants satisfied and the remainder of the downstairs floored. Maybe later this summer when it is killing hot outside sort of project.

Now I wait for the oldest to move all her stuff from upstairs to downstairs so I can then repaint her old bedroom which will become the bedroom for our youngest daughter. Fortunately other than repairing some holes in the wall and repainting, I hope that is all I have to do for that one. Oh, and transfer her canopy bed I just made for her birthday late last year to the new location and hoping it fits.



Comments

  1. It is quite a multi-faceted job. Personally, I have rather excelled by making toast this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cappuccino was especially good this morning.... Gees Ed. You're making us all like underachievers.

      Delete
    2. That room was the most difficult. The other rooms should be much easier to accomplish.

      Delete
  2. I like the bookshelf! (And the floor, of course. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I came up with the idea for the bookshelf. But both girls have one and they both like them for displaying their treasures.

      Delete
  3. Nice work. I had some similar issues with doors where I put in a floating floor and being unable to get them to click in around the door. One YouTube suggested cutting it to fit then glueing it down. It worked, but probably not with the angles (mine was mostly just 90 degree cuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost everywhere else I could click the end and tap it into place but since that one place happened in the middle of the board and thus needed a u-shaped notch. it was just about impossible.

      Delete
  4. Looks great and I really like the closet. Now remind me... where is the Murphy bed that you built? That was one of the first projects I followed on here and I thought it was SO neat! For some reason I was thinking it was for this basement room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The murphy bed is in my office which is in a non-conforming bedroom also in the basement. (It is non-conforming because it has only one way in and out unlike the conforming bedrooms which also have windows.) Currently, it is our guest bed whenever anyone stays and all the other bedrooms are occupied.

      Delete
  5. HAHA at John's comment! The bedroom and closet look beautiful. Way to go, well-done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have that part done and able to move on to easier projects.

      Delete
  6. All looks great and let me add my compliments to the closet! I am intrigued by EasyClosets.com, but unless it includes sending Ed or an Ed-equivalent to do the installation, probably not for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't require much in the way of tools. A couple screwdrivers, level and a stud detector are all that is really needed though a impact driver speeds things up a bit.

      Delete
  7. You are amazing! Lucky family to have such a handy person such as you who is also a perfectionist.
    I wake up every morning with a plan for the day. Today, I will paint the interior and trim of an old closet as well as a bathroom closet that has been bare wood for years. Well, that is the plan, anyway. I keep "saying" that is what I will do and at the end of the day, realize that I didn't tackle the job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the color of the floor Ed. And the closet looks great (something to keep in mind as we have closet space "free up").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Closet organization has come a long way and it really frees up valuable real estate elsewhere in the house.

      Delete
  9. it's looking fantastically good! I love that we got a before and after shot. Your daughter must be ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good gosh! You are absolutely amazing. I had to show this to Art. He worked on the renovation of our house here along with relatives and friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment