Porch Swing: Revisited

 

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I started building a porch swing and then got interrupted with life, the high heats of summer, life and now we are going through a classic fall much like we had last year with mild temperatures in the afternoon. So with some free time, I dusted off the porch swing project and got to building the back. 

The plans called for an arched  back and an overly complicated process for the joinery that would create lots of future problems with water migration so I just set them aside and other than the general dimensions, winged it. Instead of cutting mortises and tenons on everything, I just cut mortises on everything and glued in tenons. It doesn't seem like much difference typing that sentence but in reality, it took probably a week long project and condensed it down to one afternoon. 

After the glue dried, I scraped and sanded everything which took quite awhile and clamped it in place just to check out proportions, since I'm winging that aspect too by using cheaper (and thicker) cedar instead of expensive (thinner) oak and then having to paint it later. I am satisfied with the proportions and I like the look of the straight back that my wife specified but I think it needs rounded corners so I'm going to halt for the day until I get some feedback from her.

Also, using cheaper materials comes with defects and these boards are no exception. Though I tried to be selective on what defects were acceptable, I still have a few to repair but need to get some thin superglue first. With spray activator to cure it within seconds, it is my go to for repairing a lot of defects where structurability isn't an issue.

Below is my my stopping point sitting on my mobile workbench I build specifically for starting this projects and many planned projects to come. It is still lacking the cabinets underneath but that is next on my list after completing this project.

Note all of this happened a couple months back BEFORE I tore my rotator cuff. I'm not sure if I when I will get back to this project but am hoping by spring.




Comments

  1. We left a very nice garden swing behind when we moved 17 years ago. I suppose that it fell apart at some point and was removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as this project has taken me due to weather and injuries, I hope it doesn't fall apart anytime soon!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I was thinking-doesn't he have a torn rotator cuff? And the current weather isn't mild! LOL I texted Lynn and they're flying out Monday now instead of tomorrow, hoping for better conditions. They come through Denver, another big mess. That swing is going to be great once you get it done. I've always wanted one but I don't really have a porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a full range of motion back already though I still have a bit of weakness in that shoulder yet. I'm healing much faster than predicted so I guess it wasn't a full thickness tear and only a partial tear. I'm probably physically able to work on the porch swing right now if it weren't for an unheated garage and minus 10 degree temps outside. Oh, and the howling wind.

      The roads are a pretty bad mess I've heard. This part of Iowa never fairs well with dry powdery snow and heavy winds.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I never had a porch either, until I built one as part of our kitchen remodel three years ago!

      Delete
  3. You WILL finish it and I look forward to seeing it when you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope your right. If not, something went horribly wrong!

      Delete
  4. It's always nice to get back to projects that have been set aside, isn't it? A porch swing is a wonderful addition to any porch. Yours is looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And any porch is a wonderful addition to any house in my opinion.

      Delete
  5. After you are done, could you build me a tree swing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This porch swing is actually for you. You just have to stop my place to use it!

      Delete
  6. What you've done so far looks really nice. You know... I've heard of torn rotator cuffs and had to look up what it is. It sounds painful. Ouch! I sure hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was extremely painful for the first week and though not painful anymore, it still feels like a stiff muscle in certain positions. For a full thickness tear they can take up to a month to heal fully. For lesser tears, up to six months.

      Delete

Post a Comment