Misconceptions

 

With my home state in the news a lot right now, I can't help but see a lot of misconceptions about our state, our caucus and what it represents. So I thought I would set the record straight. Before that though, I'll start out by saying I'm happy to let another state take the lead for a change and what that really means. More on that in a bit.

Misconception #1: Iowa botched the 2020 caucus. Fact: Less than three hours after polls clothes, half the results, the Republican half, were finalized and reported on by the media. It was only the Democrat party that wasn't able to report their results. Most outside of the state don't even know half the story as to why. The Iowa Democratic party, under pressure from the National Democratic party, wanted to get some more information on the middle parts of the caucus. For those that don't know, the Democratic caucus goes through alignments where people vote for their candidate of choice. If candidates don't achieve a certain percentage of votes, they are essentially considered non-viable and kicked out. Those people who previously supported the kicked out candidates are allowed to support someone else in the next alignment until an alignment is reached where all candidates receive a significant portion of the votes case. Until 2020, only the final alignment results were published. Basically all this lets everyone know that should a viable candidate now become unviable in the future, who is likely to succeed them.  We give hope to those who don't win Iowa but go on to win the nomination. But the Democrats, rightfully so I think, wanted to know that numbers of all candidates in all alignments to get a sense of how people shift as candidates are eliminated. The Iowa Democratic party wanted to report these numbers using their tried and true system of calling into the state office by telephone. The National Democratic party said no. Instead, the National Party demanded that Iowa use an app that was less than 2 months old at the time of the caucus (that may or may not have been funded by several of the leading Democratic candidates) and hadn't been thoroughly tested. As many of you probably know, what happened was a total disaster and delayed the Democrat caucus totals by almost a week. Had Iowa been left alone, none of this would have happened.

Misconception #2: Other states want a turn at being "kingmaker". Fact: Iowa has never been about making one candidate a king. The caucus system and our being first in the nation was all about winnowing out a crowded field to only a handful of viable candidates. How many think Tulsi Gabbard, Deval Patrick or Michael Bennet had legitimate chances of winning the nomination for the Democratic party? Neither did Iowans. Instead, out of 12 candidates on the ballot, five were considered viable and they were Pete Buttigieg, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden and Amy Klobuchar. Do those names ring a bell? So the caucus has always done it's job well and saved non-viable candidates and their supporters lots of money and saved the general voting public lots of unnecessary phone calls and television ads. 

Misconception #3: President Biden has declared South Carolina will go first. Fact: Actually this isn't a misconception but it might not happen anyway. The states have always decided their dates and still will. Iowa Democrats have (of this writing) still not shied away from being the first in the nation to vote. It might mean that no candidates will visit our state in the leadup to 2024 or that our delegates will not be seated at the national convention or both. The Iowa Republican caucus will still hold it's caucus first as normal regardless of what the Iowa Democrats decide. (Fun fact, Biden got a crucial endorsement from South Carolina Governor U.S. Representative Jim Clyborn right before the 2020 primary in that state. Payback?)

[Thanks to MaryP for setting the facts straight about Jim Clyborn's title. I'm not sure how I ended up typing Governor.]

Misconception #4: Being first in the nation is a privilege. Fact: It is a brutal punishment that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Because we have traditionally been first, we get an unusual amount of focus by ALL the candidates, not just the top handful of viable ones we winnowed out for the rest of you, thank you very much. It means our phone ring non-stop for nearly a year, our radios spew political ads for nearly a year, our televisions play spiteful ads full of stretched truths for nearly a year, our.... well I think you get the picture. It is just a barrage of politics that honestly I don't think anyone can imagine without having lived here during a political cycle. The only benefit and it definitely isn't worth all the pain, is that if you want to meet a candidate in person, I can guarantee that it can be done. But with media so in your face these days, you could also just stream the political rally on your iPhone and skip the sunburn, heat and mosquitoes. 

Misconception #5: Iowa isn't diverse enough. Fact: Compared to many states, Iowa isn't as diverse as other states. But that doesn't mean we are racists. Iowa Democrats selected Obama as the most viable candidate. Alan Keyes has always done well at the Iowa Republican caucus. That doesn't sound like something a racist state would do. Vermont still holds the first in the nation primary and is 94% white, 4% more white than Iowa. So this isn't about diversity, it is about money. We aren't the easiest state to get too being a flyover state and all. One must make connections because there isn't a direct flight from Washington DC like there are to Vermont and South Carolina. We aren't a state where you can hit up a few large venues in a couple towns and pretty much canvas the state. Instead, politicians here have to rent large buses and spend hours, days, weeks and months going from one small venue to the next to ensure their message gets out.  They can't buy adds on one television state and cover the entire state. My local news station covers portions of three states! To reach all of Iowa, they have to saturate around a dozen different news stations and that folks, takes money, lots of it.  I'm guessing there is a fair amount of politics behind this as well. The Democratic party doesn't want another Jimmy Carter. They want someone fresh, hip to the world and that just isn't going to happen out here in the Midwest. 

I don't know what will happen in early 2024 at the Iowa Democratic caucus or whether or not Iowa will be first or not. Nor do I really care. Though I consider myself an independent, I have to be affiliated with one of the parties to participate so I have caucused with the Republicans because up until the last president, I felt that I had more of a voice in their future. I no longer feel that way. The fact is, in 2020 I was the only "Republican" in my precinct who didn't vote for Trump. I know this because after the secret votes are cast, our precinct captain read and totaled them publicly. When he read my vote for Bill Weld, visibly angry heads starting looking around to spot the traitor in their midst. Who is Bill Weld you ask? Well despite earning one delegate from Iowa on caucus night, he was eventually winnowed out and after Trump won the Republican nomination, went on to endorse Joe Biden. Thank you very much. 

Comments

  1. I never even knew what a caucus was until Cliff and I watched West Wing. I learned more about politics in that series that I ever thought about knowing, and I think things were portrayed pretty accurately. Now that I've read this blog entry, I know about ten times more about the Iowa caucus that I learned from West Wing. Thank you very much. If Trump and his disciples ever go away, I will be happy to be a registered Republican again. As it stands now, I'll hold my nose and vote for anybody else. Actually, for the first time in years, I didn't vote in the recent election last month. I just didn't care any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The part I most enjoy about caucus night is being around my neighbors. At least on the Republican caucus side, proxies for each of the candidates get up and give speeches in front of everyone about why you should vote for their candidate. The most viable candidates will select their speaker well and it shows. Others, probably drew the short straw and it shows. Then we all go down to our individual precinct meeting location and elect chair people and then finally cast our secret ballot. Afterwards, some of us will retire to another room where we will create "planks" to present at the state convention on what is important to us. This last part is the part I enjoy the most as you really get to see the direction of a party. Here in Iowa, most Republicans are still very moderate. But they are essentially drowned out by the time the National Convention rolls around.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like wanting to replace the head coach when the team loses a game or two. But, I suppose it's easier to find one obvious thing to focus on, rather than to take time to analyze all of the facts and work on the ones that would actually help (especially since, nowadays, people mistake opinion for fact.)

    I don't think politicians ever care about conceptions or misconceptions, no matter what party they belong to. It's all about spin. In the end, politics is just a big king-of-the-hill game, with voters on all sides being the losers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about politicians and politics. I think I would be mortified if I was behind closed doors with the strategists for both parties. I would expect they talk about us voters much like a farmer talks about their sheep.

      Delete
    2. I always appreciate your educating political posts. We've been part of "Super Tuesday" for awhile, so I don't pay much attention until that point, at which time I have to decide which primary to vote in. Not having to register in a specific party, we can vote whichever primary includes the races we're most concerned with.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes I wish Iowa were a primary just so one is free to vote without having to register for a party. There were times like in 2020 where I might have voted for a moderate Democrat over a non-major party candidate.

      Delete
  3. I like the caucus concept because it forces those people who are really interested to get involved. But I knew Iowa had issues last year. I can't imagine being first in caucus or primary, as it means candidates are tripping over each other. I wrote before my experience of having a candidate chase me down in NH when I was hiking the Appalachian Trail a year before the 1988 elections--and the two of us who were hiking together weren't from NH, but we were fresh meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a small town by most standards and there have been times when two major candidates were both here somewhere. I'm guessing that would be rare for those in states with later primaries.

      Delete
  4. The American political system is … Well I don’t know what it is. It seems more convoluted and complex than most. But I am not sure if that is exactly they way that I want to put it either. So, just disregard. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The caucus is certainly an oddball and then you throw in the electoral college and I can certainly see how you or anyone else might think that.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, presidential politics already?!? One thing's for sure. Being first-in-the-nation brings in a lot of money. Actually, two things for sure: any way you cut it, politics is a messy (and often dirty) business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had potential presidential candidates stopping by here in Iowa for at least a year already if not sooner. Probably not well known is our kernel straw vote held every summer at our state fair where we cast kernels of corn towards our favorite potential candidate. It really is almost non-stop politics here which is why I wouldn't be terribly sad for others to share this burden of going first.

      Delete
  6. It almost sounds like ranked choice voting which makes sense to me--who will the other voters be most likely to get behind if their candidate isn't chosen. I knew some of this, but not all of it. My daughter's MIL had a picture taken with Elizabeth Warren! I was jealous. That would be unlikely to happen here. I think the way we run elections here and the amount of money and time spent are unconscionable. And wearing on the nerves!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ranked choice voting certainly gives one more information on the way the electorate is leaning than a straight up single vote. I don't know how valuable that information is in the current election or if it is something to consider in the following election.

      Elizabeth Warren stopped by a couple times the last go around and as I've mentioned before, Hillary Clinton stopped at a house three doors down from me and I wasn't invited. I shook the hand of Obama on his first run for President and perhaps a dozen or so prominent candidates that never won their endorsements. I also went to a Trump rally and was shocked at how crowded it was. So crowded, I never made it in the door of our largest venue here in town. I wasn't disappointed to have to go back home but it certainly made me realize at the time that he had tapped into something I hadn't seen before.

      Delete
  7. It's interesting reading your take on presidential politics in Iowa. I've always thought it must be a complete nightmare to be an Iowa voter and be besieged by candidates before the caucuses, so I don't envy you that position at all. If South Carolina wants it, more power to 'em.

    As for diversity, I don't think anyone meant to call Iowans racist. I think there's just a feeling that the demographics of Iowa are dissimilar to those of the country as a whole, and that there's a need to bring more people of color earlier into the process of defining viable candidates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure our political desires are different from most states as we rarely give the eventual nominees the most delegates, Democrat or Republican.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. No. On weekends I don't spend a lot of time on the internet and so there is sometimes a day or two can go by before I approve your comment and that is probably what happened in this case.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It is one of those things that is much more complicated to explain than to just experience and understand.

      Delete
  10. Clyburn isn't South Carolina's governor, McMaster is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the correction. It should be U.S. Representative and I will correct it above.

      Delete

Post a Comment