Joe Philippines: Lowlands

I have skipped several prior posts in this series due to them being repetitive or not holding up to the test of time well. So some of my writing references posts you haven't seen.


After our beach overnight vacation within a vacation, we spent the next day going around Baguio, mostly stuck in traffic jams, visiting people and buying a few souvenirs to bring back home. The following day, we began our journey into the lowlands and eventually start our journey home. However since we didn't have far to go for the first day, we left at a reasonable hour and I was able to see the view on the descent down the mountain, my first time in probably well over a decade. It was as beautiful as I remember it. Unfortunately, Filipinos have gotten crazy with their window tinting since my previous visits. Almost every single vehicle has the darkest tinting on all sides and rear windows and even strips of tinting on the top and bottom of the front window. It isn't conducive to taking shots through the window and due to traffic and narrow roads, we can rarely pull over to get the shot so you will have to use your imagination of looking out from the mountain and seeing the China Sea off in the distance.

At one point in the road, we were traveling pretty slow and my window was down when we came across the above seen where a truck had missed the curve coming down the mountain sometime since we came by this way a day and a half ago. It isn't the first time I've seen something like this on winding mountain roads in the Philippines and I'm sure it won't be the last.


The tricycles you see above rule the lowland but don't have enough horsepower to work well in the mountains. Thus, I always know we've made it out of the mountains when I start to see them. Outside of a town, they thin out like above but when you get into any little town along the way, they multiply by multiple factors of ten and clog up the road since they only travel about 20 mph. Just about everywhere you go, the official speed limit is about 100 kph which works out to 62 mph so you can see the huge speed disparity depending on your ride. Many times we would get to our destination and my right leg would be sore from pressing down on the floorboard as tricycles pulled right out in front of us time and time again without even a sideways glance. I'm not sure how one can explain the sheer numbers of them when so many must get crushed in accidents other than the abundant birth rate in the county.


Eventually we made it to our destination of Tarlac where we would spend the next several days but along the way, we stopped at one of my wife's paternal uncle's house for lunch and ice cream. Here in the Philippines, you don't just drop in at the local grocery store and pick up a half gallon of your favorite ice cream. Many of these smaller towns don't even have grocery stores that would carry it. Instead you order it delivered to your door on a motorized tricycle, ice cream, container, cooler and all as you see above. I reckon there was about five gallons of ice cream in that thing. Because it was probably made last night, you don't get to choose flavors like cookies n' cream or rocky road because they don't exist. In fact, we had just two choices, mango and ube, and since mango was still out of season, we really didn't have a choice. Ube it was. For those not familiar with ube, it is a purple sweet tuber much like a yam.



Comments

  1. An interesting post, as usual, Ed! Very interesting about the ice cream. The ube flavor is really intriguing. Last year I tried to grow purple sweet potatoes, which didn't do very well so that I only got a few. I'm hoping I can use them to make slips to try next summer. But you've got me thinking about sweet potato ice cream. Why not? B&R used to sell pumpkin pie ice cream that was very good, and sweet potatoes are better than pumpkins. I feel another experiment coming on, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made or tried sweet potato ice cream but I have had them in pie form so I know it can work. From what I know, ube is a little more moist in texture than the purple sweet potato. I've heard they can grow over here but I've never tried to do so.

      Delete
  2. The ice cream reminds me of my younger days when the choice was limited to vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, or Neapolitan (all three in one box). These days, I will usually have rocky road at a stand but often vanilla at home to go with something else, like cake, for dessert. But desserts usually only get that fancy at family dinners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those days and the ones soon after where varieties were vanilla with a different fruit mixed into it before freezing. These days, they are so complex they have to have descriptions underneath their names to know what you might be getting. But my favorite is still strawberry.

      Delete
  3. How was the ube ice cream? That's nice they deliver it, but 5 gallons seems a bit much even for someone who loves ice cream as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good but having been raised up on traditional American flavors, I still prefer my favorite of strawberry ice cream. With my children, my brother-in-laws children and a handful of cousins, they still made a significant dent in the ice cream in the short time we were there.

      Delete
  4. I don't like tinted windows. Some of those I see are so dark they just can't be legal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure legal is even a word in the Philippines. I think one can pretty much do as they please unless it upsets someone with more political power. That is changing slowly but surely as it becomes a wealthier nation.

      Delete
  5. Driving or being a passenger in another country can be terrifying. I don't know how more people aren't killed on the "roads." Or are they? I don't know if I would like that ice cream but I would certainly try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that a lot of things like road related fatalities are simply not tracked or possibly reported in the Philippines.

      Delete
  6. The only time I went to the Philippines was to Manila on a Pan Am flight for a few hours layover. The traffic was crazy but the shopping and hotel was fantastic! I don't think I would want to ever venture out of the city like you do. Too much strangeness, excitement and stress for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never ventured out alone which makes a big difference.

      Delete
  7. Ube is suddenly gaining popularity here in Hawaii. I would have preferred mango for myself, but then I'm just a sucker for mango.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago when I was in Kauai, it felt that there was a large Filipino influence all around so I'm not surprised that ube is gaining popularity there.

      Delete
  8. Tinting windows is something of a religion in New Home. I find it disorienting to drive in.

    The ice cream is interesting - I have had mango, but never ube (or sweet potato). To be fair, given all options, I am just as likely to have vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our state has a law against tinting front and side windows though rear windows are legal. I see many a car with a rear window covered with tinting that has bubbled from a poor installation.

      Delete
  9. Interesting about the tinted windows. I had no idea it was that big of deal in the Philippines. We have to be careful about the degree of tint here in Idaho or the authorities can pull us over if they deem it too dark. Also, interesting about the ice cream. My son would love the mango. He's a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are big fans of mango too, the actual fruit.

      Delete

Post a Comment