Train Dislocation: For Bob

 


The top photo is of the train that sits in front of our local Amtrak depot and the bottom one is the one that sat in the past in a different part of town and with my great grandfather perched upon it. There are differences for sure but to my untrained eye, there are a lot of similarities as well.

However, I thought I would share a story about the train above that happened many years ago. My kids were fairly little and for some reason, we stopped to see the train. My kids climbed up part way but were scared to go to the ledge that runs the length of the boiler. To show them there was nothing to be afraid of, I clamored up to the ledge and then started to come back down when disaster struck. I was wearing grippy soled hiking boots at the time and the tread caught in the iron tread steps and as I shifted my body around, my leg stayed put. Something had to give and what gave was my kneecap. It painfully dislocated to one side of my knee. Meanwhile, I was still five feet up and not sure how I was going to get back down. I hung on wincing in pain for a few brief moments and then just let my body succumb to gravity trying to twist in midair so that I landed on the non-dislocated kneecap leg. I was successful.

Somehow I managed to get up and hobble to the car in a lot of discomfort and eventually I even went to see a doctor. Turned out my kneecap had indeed dislocated but despite my suspicions, there were no torn ligaments and everything, albeit a swollen mess, were more or less in the correct spots. The orthopedic told me to wear a brace and not stretch out the tendons holding my kneecap in place for another six months to a year and everything should return back to normal. Indeed, my knee is back to normal.

What isn't back to normal is my sense of youthful vitality and pride. My kids never did climb up to the upper platform. I can't say I blame them now. 

Comments

  1. Oh no! Now my knee hurts! Glad it turned out ok, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed, I think for everyone there comes "that moment", where what we do afterwards is governed by caution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we could file this under the "Why women live longer than men" category.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Well, THAT was a safety lesson that went awry, wasn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had learned the lesson in a less painful way.

      Delete
  5. You sure got off on the wrong track that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! Your daughters were wiser than you knew!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch!!! I guess it could have been worse, but still....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! That sounds awful, Ed. Glad your knee returned to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am honored you would comply with my request so quickly. Thanks! I love the comparison/contrast. They are a pretty close match. I enjoyed the story, too, although it's probably still painful for you to recount!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the less I care about what others think of me so it wasn't very painful to tell this story.

      Delete
  10. Holy smokes! That sounds mega painful! I'm glad there was no lasting damage, but I didn't even know you could dislocate a knee cap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment