Joe Philippines: Partaking of Food



After the lengthy post that I wrote previously on the ins and outs of shopping for food, I thought I would show you a few miscellaneous food pictures that I took during the course of our trip. Above is a plastic bag of quail eggs which we boiled and snacked on. It was my first time to eat them and while they were similar in taste to a boiled chicken eggs, their texture was creamier and not as dry as a chicken egg. In fact, I liked them better than hard boiled chicken eggs though you had to peel three or four to equal one chicken egg.


Fresh shrimp cooking on a little charcoal grill on the patio. Many Filipinos use these as a sort of summer kitchen to keep the heat outdoors.


Above is dragon fruit which has a taste and texture similar to kiwi fruit. I saw numerous dragon fruit plantations as we were driving around. They consisted of a field of posts set into the ground about five feet apart with a used motor cycle tire fasted to the top of the post in a horizontal position with a cross brace. The dragon fruit plant was a cactus like plant that would be tied to the center post and as it grew up and through the tire would drape over it. I'm not sure when harvest season was but I didn't see any plants with fruit on them while I was there.


When is the last time you had bottled pop? For me, I'm guessing my last time was nearly 30 years ago when I was in college. I was happy to see that bottled pop is still alive and well in the Philippines. The only drawbacks were that it came in teeny 8 oz bottles which are shadows of their American plastic counterparts and that the servers inevitably stuck a well used and recycled straw in it when serving it to me. I always took the straw out and just drank from the bottle because I'm guessing the straws were probably never sterilized or even rinsed.


Road side vendors abound on the island and you are never more than a stones throw from food if you want to pull off to the side. Many times the vendor isn't there but if you pull over and honk your car horn, one will quickly appear and quickly open up a buko (young coconut) or as in the picture above, wrap up some tupig in a plastic bag to eat on your journey. Tupig is just one form of a gelatinous rice and coconut mixture that is found in snack type foods. In this case it is wrapped in banana leaves and grilled. Another form called tinubong finds it in the cavity of a bamboo shoot and steamed. In all cases it is a sweet and tasty snack.


When visiting restaurants in the Philippines, everything is served with rice as can be seen in the above photo. This platter of food was served family style for about a dozen of us and we quickly went through all the mountain of rice seen above and ordered and consumed a second mountain to go with the BBQ meats, salads and sides. I think it cost me about $25 for everything (in 2014 dollars).


While in Baguio, my mother-in-law wanted to throw my oldest daughter a Filipino birthday party at their most popular fast food restaurant Jollibee. The two pictures above and below are their versions of the happy meal. The one above is fried chicken, a cake of rice and a side of gravy. In the picture below the cake of rice has been replaced by spaghetti. I have eaten pretty much everything put in front of me during my time in the Philippines but I have yet been able to try fast food spaghetti. I chose the option above with the rice cake and it wasn't too bad though I was confused about what to do with the side of gravy. I ended up pouring it on top of my rice.
  



Above is charcoal grilled squid purchased from the wet market earlier in the morning. Below is a pinakbet pizza which we saw while driving though a town and bought for a snack along the road. Traditional pinakbet contains fish sauce, bitter melon, string beans, tomatoes and a few other ingredients and is served as kind of like a stew eaten with rice. The pizza form which was a first for all of us, American and Filipino alike, was pretty tasty.



Comments

  1. My tastes are such that the fast foods and pop were the most appealing items.The pop without the straw though. Yuck. I assume that times have changed that practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's now been four years since my last visit and I don't recall actually getting a bottle of pop in a glass bottle though we got several in the plastic 2-liter versions. My guess is that they still use the bottles though as a way to recycle them. Another form of recycling pop bottles (especially the large glass ones) is to fill them full of fuel and sell them at a stand along the highway so if you are running low, you can pick up several 1-liter bottles and pour them into your tank. For the longest time I didn't understand why their "coke" looked so odd in the glass bottles along the roads until I happened to see someone pour one into their tank and then asked what was going on.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen a dragon fruit! They really are eyecatching, as is that pizza. What are those toppings, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomatoes, beans and bitter melon mostly. There may be a pepper in there as well.

      Delete
  3. Dragonfruit is one of those things I've always wanted to try. The rare times I've seen it in the store it's never looked very good (in comparison to the ones I've seen on TV) and the price is always exorbitant. I'll just stick with kiwi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tasty, like kiwi, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one unless just to say you have. I've only eaten them in the Philippines where they are plentiful and cheap. Here in the states, I mainly stick to local fruits for the same reasons.

      Delete
  4. The Dragon fruit looks interesting! I like most fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my western based eyes, the fruit situation in the far east looks like something created as a result of a nuclear accident. There are some really weird looking fruits.

      Delete
  5. Here in Hawaii dragonfruit grows everywhere now. I have several cuttings along our fences but it isn't my favorite fruit. Pirie mango is tops for me. I love Filipino food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I saw some when I was in Kuai too. I think my family prefers mango too but for my taste buds, I'm good with an apple, banana or strawberry. For me, mango is just okay.

      Delete
  6. Never saw a dragon fruit that is so dark red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps there are different varieties grown in your neck of the world.

      Delete
  7. Lots of interesting little cultural tidbits in this post. The fish sauce as a pizza ingredient caught my attention. I've been watching Tasting History with Max Miller on YouTube, and fish sauce has come up in a couple of videos, both one of the very earliest condiments and as the ancestor of modern day ketchup. I suppose if I lived where fresh fish was plentiful, I'd give making it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to a podcast awhile ago about the origins of ketchup which derived from fish sauce. It was quite interesting. Most of my consumption of fish sauce is when it is cooked with other foods after application. It isn't something I enjoy in the raw form.

      Delete
  8. Looks adventurous Ed. I miss having quail eggs from when we had quails - they were quite delicious (although yes, 3-4 to a single chicken egg).

    Like your experience, when we train in Japan rice is available at every meal. Miso soup was available at almost every meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were your quail eggs creamier than chicken eggs or perhaps it was just a matter of doneness. I've wondered about that since I wrote that in my journal all those years ago.

      Although I like miso soup, I think it would be kind of overwhelming to have it at every meal. Rice, being more neutral in taste, doesn't bother me.

      Delete
  9. I've never had dragon fruit but do like kiwi. The eggs sound tasty. If squid is rubbery, I wouldn't like it. I would try the pizza though! I'm not a super adventurous eater whereas you seem to be more of one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like rubbery squid or octopi either but the Filipinos were masters in cooking it, i.e. didn't overcook it, and it is quite tasty as a result.

      Delete
  10. Yup. We have lots of people growing dragon fruit around our town too. I found them rather tasteless though. Tupig? I didn't know that's what you called them. I thought it was kakanin, but then a Filipino friend said kakanin just meant candy. Ah well... I used to love getting them at the farmer's markets. OK, I guess I need to go to Jollibee one of these days just to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment