Stocked Up

 

Above is our main storage area for our farm and garden canned produce. Upstairs in our pantry, we have a smaller shelf (see below) that will hold a few dozen jars for convenient access while cooking but the bulk of our storage is in the basement where it is dark and cooler. The three columns to the right are the original shelving I build after moving into this house and the one on the left is the extension I built when we decided to produce more and to use a lot more pints than quarts. As you can see, we have done pretty well in the preservation department this year. It makes me feel wealthy indeed standing back and looking at those proverbial fruits of our labor. 

At the top left below the empty jars are the bulk of our dried beans that we raised this year. I say bulk, because as I write this, we are heading down to the farm in a couple hours after it warms up to pick the last of the dried beans that hung in there until they were killed by the hard freeze.  For as many as we planted, the yield wasn't the greatest due to the dry summer but it is still a lot of beans that we will enjoy for the next couple years probably. Below that is the Hubbard squash which I preserved many years worth this fall since we will most likely not raise it again for another four or five years. We had a great harvest with them and it will make many a pumpkin pie, bread or other goodie in the coming years.

There is a partial row of chicken broth which I preserved when we got our yearly supply of chickens for our freezer from our local grower. All the backs and necks go into a pot to make broth. Also in the same row and below are a couple rows of our apples preserved as already made filling. I can simply dump it into a crust or a pan, make a top crust and have a crisp or pie ready in less than an hour.

On the upper right 2/3rds of the shelves is most of our leftover tomato canning from a previous year. I usually can a lot of tomato sauce, chunked tomatoes, soup, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce and paste. Since we had such an abundant harvest the year before, we didn't plant a single tomato plant this year. I did can a couple dozen small jars of pizza sauce and tomato paste this year from volunteer cherry tomato plants though.

Scattered out in the rest of the spots are some preserved charred tomatillos from a previous year, pickled okra from a previous year, some green beans, pears, pickled bitter melon, sweet pickles and dill pickled jalapeno relish. The last one was just an experiment with some leftover brine I had when doing the pickled okra. It turned out really good so I may do more of that in the future. The pickled bitter melon was also an experiment. My wife and MIL love to use fresh bitter melon in dishes but as the name suggests, it is pretty bitter stuff so I don't eat it very often or in little doses. But when I dill pickled it and tried some a few weeks later, most of the bitterness was gone and the crunchy bitter melon was kind of enjoyable to eat. So I'm letting it mellow some more to see just how good it gets.

I should mention that throughout the year as needed, I will pressure can dried beans so that they are essentially heat and serve while being shelf stable. We do that for making quick meals where we don't want to wait on them to soak overnight and then boil for a couple hours the next day. But I'm going to try and keep them in their dried form for now. In the picture below, you can see some of the chick peas (third row from the top) I have canned so that my wife can make hummus in an instant.



Comments

  1. Beautiful! I so agree about that feeling of wealth a full pantry gives you. I like to grow and preserve several years' worth of a particular item too. It seems to make better use of gardening space.

    I like hummus and really should learn to make it. Canning your own chickpeas for it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest advantage for me is that it protects against periodic crop failures of a particular item by giving us another season to try again.

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of canning! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to be honest, probably just shy of half was done in previous years, especially the tomato products.

      Delete
  3. I can understand your satisfaction - it looks beautiful!! You know I make hummus on almost a weekly basis, so I really should cook my own (from dried). It's easy to do in a crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy and fast in a pressure canner. We still buy our chick peas in bulk though.

      Delete
  4. That's amazing! Do you have a spreadsheet of everything there or do you remember what you have? (that would be an issue for me) Left? There were two rights when you were describing the cabinets. I got confused. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a spreadsheet. Because everything has it's own area of the shelf, I just look at it to see how much is left when we go to plan next year's garden.

      Delete
  5. Your shelves are wonderful! And, of course, the fruits of your labor arranged in such an organized way. Your dried beans remind me of a movie I watched on the plane about a farmer against the GMO cartel - Percy and Goliath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about all this when it happened but didn't know a movie had been made on the subject.

      Delete
  6. Good for you to can so much of your garden produce. I freeze my produce but not much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have enough freezer space for most of our garden produce so instead pressure can it. I also like that it is subject to a prolonged power outage.

      Delete
  7. Impressive! If Putin threatens to destroy the world with nuclear bombs, I am heading to Iowa. There'll be enough to eat in your country mansion for an entire decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps but I don't want you to ever say, "Tomatoes and beans again!"

      Delete
  8. This is impressive, both downstairs and upstairs. You just can't have too many shelves! The former owners of our home were survivalists, and had built wonderful basement shelving to accommodate their supplies of freeze-dried food, potable water, etc. I don't share their tendencies, but I sure have enjoyed the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never got into the survivalist thing either. I've always thought that if the world goes to the crapper and there are crazies running around requiring me to store a years worth of food and be armed to the teeth, I perhaps don't want to live in it.

      Delete
  9. I am sure that tis suits both your lifestyle and palate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good gosh! This is so very impressive. You are stocked up for any Hawaiian type hurricane. I just saw a video about how we needed to be prepared to have food available that we didn't have to cook. I'm really jealous... but then again... I'm lazy. I know how hard you've had to work to get this ready.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment