On Fire

 

One thing about having so many dead trees (I've had another nine removed a month ago), I have a plethora of firewood. Last spring, we had a derecho rip though the area that took out a couple of the live trees in our yard and I cut up the one that was in a part I mow and because I still have about a 10 year supply of split and well seasoned wood from the previous 30+ trees I have cut down, I just tossed the derecho wood into a pile in the part of our lot I don't mow. I was able to burn 1/3 of the smaller branches last winter and still have two more large brush piles to burn perhaps this winter.

I tried giving away the wood but nobody is interested because it isn't split and delivered for free. So I thought I would just leave it there to burn in backyard bonfires or rot back into the earth, whichever comes first. I started a bonfire this spring around the largest piece that remained after I cut it up and it was still green enough that it only burnt up halfway and it took an armload of my seasoned wood to even get that done. So after a summer of seasoning outside, I brought up a wagon full of it to have another bonfire.


I did get one chunk of the well seasoned wood that I used to split with a hatchet into small kindling to tender the fire but the rest would slowly burn. It is still pretty green and thus burned slowly but by the next morning, all that was left was a top corner of the biggest chunk you see on top. When I threw it on the fire it was probably 18 inches in diameter, 18 inches long and weighed a good 70 pounds or so. After I got the fire going, I put the logs you see on it, along with the remains of the spring log, and it burned all evening and all through the night and is still coals this morning. By afternoon, nearly 22 hours later, all that remained were ashes.

We made use of it by roasting some bratwursts over the flames for supper while we played some croquet matches nearby. Eventually the kids got bored and went back inside and I stayed up for a good while longer watching it burn some more and contemplating life. I don't do that nearly as often as I should.

Comments

  1. Fires are nice. Ever thought about making all that extra into charcoal? I have read about people also making it into a soil additive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know people who have done such things but it isn't something I will probably attempt. Any charcoal I would make is a long way from my garden and I don't think I would want to handle it to get it down there. Having a plentiful supply of bonfire wood is good enough for me!

      Delete
  2. Oh, isn't there something great about sitting next to a good fire and contemplating life, listening to the crickets and watching the moon? It's the simple things, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certain is. I hope my children discover it someday. They certainly don't appreciate it right now.

      Delete
  3. It's good to have lots of back up wood just in case. Do you have a wood burning fireplace or stove? There is definitely something about watching the flames lick the wood that makes the brain open up. For me it's like sitting on an ocean beach contemplating the waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a wood burning insert. Essentially, this house started off with a wood burning fireplace, the previous owner butchered the surround to put in a cheap gas insert, and the only way I could convert it back to wood was to use an insert to cover up the butchery.

      Delete
  4. There's something about gazing into (controlled) flames, especially after dark. Of course fire is one of those things I have a very healthy respect for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. We're now in a severe drought here but it had rained that morning, we have a wide paved surround and the grass was still mostly green so if it has sparked over, it wouldn't burn very fast.

      Delete
  5. Camp fires are made for quiet reflection while watching the fire:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounded like fun. The only time I got to watch a fire was in a grill or fireplace. You have such a fun lifestyle. But 10 years of firewood? Wow! I hate to tell you what we paid for firewood in Illinois.... not that I remember though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worse than that, I've probably rolled another ten years of logs down into the trees to let them decay. At my previous house, we had to pay for our wood and way back then, I think it was about $100 for a split pickup load which would last us a couple years.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, I'm envious! The photos are fantastic. Funny how some people don't want free stuff if it involves work, lol. I'd have taken it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had plenty of time to experiment with my phone camera while sitting in a camp chair. I used portrait mode and adjusted the f-stop to blur the background per Anvilcloud's fairly recent post on the subject.

      Delete
  8. I don’t have the knack of starting a good fire. My BIL certainly has it in spades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see that blurry background from adjusting the f-stop in portrait mode? Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  9. It's good that you could make use of the fire for both cooking and contemplation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit later and I can add heat as a use too.

      Delete
  10. I hate smelling like smoke so I am not a fan of bonfires but I am glad that you had a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to all shower when we get in otherwise one wakes up in the middle of the night and thinks the house is burning down!

      Delete
  11. We can't make fires in our yards in Honolulu - other than hibachi cooking. Long ago we could burn our rubbish but not anymore. The last time I made a fire was in a big metal can. I put in pieces of paper on which I had written things that bothered me and did a symbolic burning of the ill feelings. It did feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to your island but the one I was on did have a lot of very dry undergrowth in a lot of places. I can see why they might be banned. Here in the Midwest, it is normally pretty lush or covered with snow so there aren't any worries.

      Delete
  12. I love a great fire! They are especially nice on a cool day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are better later in the fall when one can get a bit closer and enjoy the warmth.

      Delete

Post a Comment