How About Them Apples

 

The title of this post is perhaps my favorite line from the movie Good Will Hunting.

The last remaining apple tree from our wedding orchard is still hanging in there after all these years and has provided us with many an apple over the years. In the past, we've always just picked a bucket full and let the rest go to fertilize the ground underneath or feed the populous deer. But since we fenced it in as part of our garden area expansion, we have been picking more and trying to preserve them for later use throughout the year.

This preservation has usually been one of three ways. I freeze the apples to use in pies, tartes and crisps. I dehydrate apple slices for snacks. I cook down apples in a crockpot to make some applesauce. I plan to do more of the last two again this year but I was looking to do something different other than freezing apples. That method works well and isn't very time consuming but takes up a space in our deep freeze which is perpetually stuffed full. Finding said apples five months later feels like undertaking an artic expedition trying to dig them out from underneath everything we've placed on top of them in the ensuing months. 

Earlier this spring a noted novelist and neighbor of mine, was talking with me and I must have mentioned my desire to preserve apples another way. She said she had a recipe in a cookbook that she had published for canning them into ready for the pie crust filling. Intrigued, I said I was interested and she later gave me a copy of her cookbook. It has sat on our cookbook shelf in the kitchen waiting for this day and I finally got to try it. Her recipe called for processing them in a water bath but I don't have a pot deep enough to do more than four quarts at a time so I modified the recipe by pressure canning them so I could do an entire batch, seven quarts at once. The results look great. Well almost. The jar on the left spewed some of its contents in the canner because I didn't have the jar lid tight enough. It  is a fine line with two piece lids getting them tight enough to let pressure escape but not overly tight to cause the lids to buckle or under tightened (as in my case) where the contents escape in the canner. It still went ahead and sealed but the top apples are no longer immersed so we will probably eat it first.

Since we have so many nice apples this year (few bugs), I think while it is easy processing, I might do a couple more batches of the filling this week so I have enough to go a few years, or if it turns out really tasty, we can give away as gifts. 

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I did use the one that had spewed a little of the contents during canning and made an apple crisp with it. It was delicious!

      Delete
  2. The filling looks tasty!! I think that would make a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tasty now that we've tried one. It will be a quick pie during the coming year.

      Delete
  3. Oh, man! Apple crisp is one of my very favorite desserts. Lots of oatmeal, brown sugar and butter for the topping? My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on all three plus a pinch of salt. I usually prefer a "crunch" topping like that on pies like apple or rhubarb that have a high water content versus a top crust.

      Delete
  4. I hear it a ‘dem’ apples 😀 but I don’t remember the line from that film. I wonder what I am remembering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the clip I'm thinking about. Hard to say whether it is them or dem with the Boston accent. But I did get it wrong anyway. It is "How you like them/dem apples?"

      Delete
  5. Apple crisp sounds like a good fall recipe...thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! Well done. And what a treat to have on your pantry shelves.

    I've never frozen apples, but I have the same polar explorer experience with blueberries and figs! It's really nice to have several alternatives for preservation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezing apples works quite well other than the space they take up. It would be my preferred choice is I had unlimited space as it requires the least amount of work to preserve.

      Delete
  7. Makes me want to watch the movie again. And have a slice of apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I get back, I will have to try this. I only have one apple tree (I plan to plant more, but there's just so much time) and it has maybe a dozen apples on it this year... but there are a lot of orchards in our area and I can buy apples that are both good and inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are orchards around here too but not enough yet to drive down prices to make them affordable for mass preservation. They instead bring in animals to pet, make donuts, offer cooking classes and rake in mucho dinero.

      Delete
  9. Wow! I am thoroughly impressed! We had two apple trees (in Illinois), but the apples always had bugs in them. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I just got lucky this year. Time will tell.

      Delete

Post a Comment