Belated Garden Update

 

With posts on our vacation and other things, I'm trying to clear my phone of photos so here is a belated garden update from two weeks ago when we returned home from our vacation and saw our garden for the first time in three weeks. Above was a picture of our harvest.


Above is where we dug the three buckets of potatoes that remained. We had pillaged about a third of the crop for fingerling or new potatoes earlier in the year. To the right are the row of strawberries which seem to be doing okay. In fact, before we left on vacation my wife cut the shoots off of them, as recommended for the first year, and now they are loaded with unripe berries. 


The heat and dry weather is taking a toll our our dry shell bean crop. These three climbing varieties showed so much promise earlier in the season but apparently didn't produce a lot of pods. We were so busy with other aspects of our garden we didn't inspect them closer so we'll see in the coming weeks when we are able to get a closer look.


The bush varieties of dry shell beans are almost dried out for picking and they have a lot more pods so I'm more hopeful about them despite the weeds that have taken over the bed in our absence.


Our old apple tree is absolutely loaded full of apples which I'm excited about. A friend gave me a recipe for canning apple pie filling that I'm wanting to try out to preserve our crop and reduce the load inside our small freezer.


Pay no attention to the weeds along the edges but my wife's experimental cut flower bed is really doing great. I had hoped to trim the edges with my string trimmer but the rest of my crew was wanting to leave so I ran out of time this go around. Next weekend!

More flowers. We've been filling up a lot of flower vases in our house and those of acquaintances.


Our raspberry patch is showing a lot of promise and there are lots of new sprouts coming up around the ones we planted this spring. Hopefully next year we should have some fruit to pick.


The grapes are still hanging in there but aren't growing nearly as fast.

We can grow okra okay even this far north but our once a week visits is problematic due to the rapid growing nature of the pods. We can only harvest the pods that started a couple days before our arrival. Any too small to harvest one weekend will look like the ones above by the following weekend, huge and touch as a brick.

We have two garden beds and the second one had a few rows of peas and the above row of okra but the bulk of it this year was planted in a variety of melons, squash, gourds and pumpkins. Despite the lack of moisture, due in large part because of our prior mulching efforts, it seems to be weathering the dry weather okay.


Walking around the perimeter, I spied a crooked neck squash

 
A couple Hubbard squash which in my humble opinion, make the best pumpkin pies


A melon of some sort, I'm not sure what kind though.


An already ripe and rather large pumpkin. This one probably weighed about 20 pounds.


Lots of mini pumpkin looking gourds

And these Turk's Turban gourds that my daughters picked out.


The orchard is doing okay though I gave them five gallons of water the last time I saw them and three weeks later I gave each one ten gallons of water and not a drop of it made it more than a foot away from the trunk of the tree. Even the sour cherry trees that I thought had died the last time I saw them still had small new leaves growing on just about every branch so perhaps they will still put away enough to survive the coming winter.


And just for Debby's sake, a picture of the asparagus patch awaiting late winter when we can burn the tops off to stimulate the new spring crop.

Finally the arched trellis where my MIL and wife grow some of their Filipino crops, namely this year the bitter melon and sitaw (a long string bean) seen in several of the baskets at the top of this post.

The small ears of sweetcorn that we didn't harvest right before we left were eaten and enjoyed tremendously by racoons which took more than their fare share this year. Next year, my wife might listen to my pleas and re-evaulate her position on growing more of it and instead just buy it from other local growers who grow more than than can eat.

Comments

  1. It makes more sense now that I know your age. I have wondered how you manage to find the stamina to do all that you do.

    I didn’t know that strawberries could come late if pruned back. Local farms and stands are done by early July. I can always mark the date because it coincides with our annual watching of Wimbledon. When Wimbledon is over so are the strawberries and perhaps before then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until this year, I would have agreed with your thoughts on strawberries too, except for here, it is late June when they are gone for the year.

      Delete
  2. You had a great garden this year!! I love crook neck summer squash, but mine didn't do this year (much like most of my efforts). You're right about okra.... those are whoppers and don't eat well at that point. Your apples look great. Even our pears suffered from the heat this year. I only got enough for one pie and some muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have a few pictures, I have no idea of the yield at this point. I hate to walk around and crush vines just for a gander and we've been focusing on our dry shell bean harvest lately so really haven't had the time to spend over on that side. It won't be long though before I know what our squash, gourd, etc. harvest will be.

      Delete
  3. That's a very bountiful harvest and you are growing such a variety of crops! I love okra but only the small ones. :) (picked or deep fried) A 20 pound pumpkin is amazing--already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to grow a variety just to explore what works well. I also like to try new methods of preservation for the exact same reason.

      Delete
  4. You have a delightful garden. I wish I could grow okra here, but last year I only got one mess of pods. I should, next year, try to start some inside and see if that can work. However my in-laws brought me a peck of okra, which I enjoyed for several days and prepared and froze the rest. Yesterday, I made 1 1/2 gallons of tomato soup that I canned. I need to do a "end of the year" post about my garden as it's been a delight (but mine is only about 100 yards from the house).

    Jeff. https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that you can't raise okra there. I'm guessing it has to do with altitude? My brother in NE Alabama can grow it by the bushel basket full.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Ed, that is awesome. Great job on the crops this year. Almost makes me want to give it a shot but I will leave to folks like you who know what they are doing and make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to do it right now while your kids are young and agile. When they are off to college and there is no longer a supply of free labor, raising a garden takes on a whole other meaning.

      Delete
  6. That trellis is awesome. And you know, I'm at the point where I cannot even look at asparagus without giving you a thought, you sadist. I am currently up to my armpits in tomatoes. Once they start coming, it is the never ending, all consuming chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been nice to not have tomatoes this year though my MIL picked a couple gallons of cherry tomatoes from a volunteer plant near the trellis. I just blended them up and am currently cooking them down in a crockpot. I'm not sure yet what I will make from them.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. We've had some successes to offset the earlier failures.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful post, Ed. I'm so impressed with the size of your garden, but you have more hands to work it (as well as more mouths to feed!) Drought is a huge challenge, especially when paired with heat. The best we can manage is to keep the plants alive in hopes they'll produce if and when conditions change. Thick mulch like you've got really helps.

    The flowers are a beautiful touch! They are like food for the soul, and a good companion for food for our physical selves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our garden will hopefully shrink a lot next year. It was darn near overwhelming in the spring but this time of year is pretty easy and gratifying. Almost makes me forget those long hours of weeding and mulching that just about did me in.

      Delete
  9. Looks great Ed! The Summer took most of the life out of my garden this year due to the heat - I ended up with just enough corn to replace what I planted and black eyed peas. I need to revisit my water management system next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying to get away from water altogether and just plant what works with our typical wet spring, dry summer weather we've been getting.

      Delete
  10. You have such an amazing variety of crops. Those flowers that look like zinnias are gorgeous! And yes, I can imagine you have enough to put them in every room in the house. I'm so amazed at your energy level.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment