Wrecked and Denied Entry

 

Finally on the last day in Sault Ste. Marie, we drove back around the point away to Whitefish Point, closest point in the Upper Peninsula to the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Above is the actual bell from the wreck which now sports a replica with the names of the 29 victims etched into it and lowered down to the lake floor. The actual EF bell is located at the highly advertised Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. The museum was actually a cluster of buildings on the point, half of which belong to the Coast Guard and aren't available to the general public. There is a tiny building that lists a dozen or so shipwrecks along with brief descriptions of how they occurred, some of the items retrieved from the wrecks and some with pictures of the wrecks. It was definitely neat but a really small exhibit especially with dozens of tourists crowding in around you from all sides to fit in such a small place.


Besides the actual diminutive museum, there is a gift shop, a movie theater showing a 15 minute clip on the Edmund Fitzgerald wreck complete with Gordon Lightfoot soundtrack and a few other buildings showing typical rooms period to a time not really specified. There was also the above memorial to the Edmund Fitzgerald and a pier where you could walk out and see a vast part of Lake Superior where it narrows down dramatically and partly the reason for so many wrecks in the vicinity. Despite signs telling people not too, there were dozens of people beyond the pier walking along the beach looking for souvenirs to take home.

Back from Whitefish Point, we decided that since our motel was literally 100 yards from Canada, we should go into Canada for supper and poke out Ontario's version of Sault Ste. Marie. So we drove across the bridge and up to the Canadian customs checkpoint where there were perhaps a dozen cars lined up at two manned posts. We chose the shorter of the two lines and quickly realized our mistake. Each vehicle in our line seemed to take around 4 to 5 minutes for the customs agent to clear while the other line took less than 30 seconds each vehicle. 50 minutes later when we finally made it up to the customs agent after 12 vehicles in front of us had passed through, the opposing line had cleared around 100 vehicles. 

I had anticipated a curt customs agent who would grill us on the minute details of our trip into Canada of which we had none other than we wanted some poutine with our supper. Instead, it was a super nice guy who loved to chat and tell stories. Just when we thought we were home free, he asked us for our "Arkan" which I have spelled phonetically because I had no idea what he was asking for and had to have him repeat it a few times. Finally he explained that we needed to fill out an "Arrive Canada" form which we had not. It essentially asked us about our Covid shots and boosters which we had brought in the form of cards that were required sporadically around the U.S. during the height of Covid but all but ignored now. However, our cards were unacceptable and short of going back to the motel, filling the form out online (which required photographing our cards!) and driving back to the border checkpoint now backed up all the way across the bridge, we weren't going to get in. We instead got our passports handed back to us, were directed through a gate and told to skedaddle back to where we had come from. We didn't, at least not immediately. We instead stopped at the duty free shop to purchase some overpriced food and beverages for the road before leaving Canadian soil and heading back across the river. Of course with no stamps in our passports, I wondered what the U.S. custom agent would say when we drove up within a matter of about 30 seconds of waiting. He just acted like this happens all the time, told us the food was better over here anyway and welcomed us "home". We ate a delicious supper at the Lockview Grill right by our motel and indeed, it had poutine along with my fresh walleye that I ordered. 

The plan for the following day had been to head south across the long bridge connecting the two peninsulas of Michigan and along the east side of Lake Michigan, spending the night in Chicago so that we could hit the Filipino store and nearby restaurant on our way home. But we soon realized that due to the Filipino store and restaurant being on the north side of Chicago, it was actually the long way home all for seeing a bridge, so we opted to retrace our steps a bit by driving back through the upper peninsula and Wisconsin. We did drive on the south side up against the shores of Lake Michigan so it wasn't actually our same route. We got to Chicago in time for clogged freeways of rush hour, hit the restaurant up followed by stocking up on staples we can only find there, before spending the evening and making our way home the following morning when traffic was minimal. 

Comments

  1. Sorry that they didn’t let you in. I think it has a lot to do with the pandemic. I lived in a border city, and we once crossed often and easily. 9/11 changed that quite a bit, and we stopped bothering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. I've been to Canada before so it wasn't that big a deal for me other than the loss of time waiting for entry. My MIL, who had never been to Canada before though was a bit disappointed until I pointed out that even though we hadn't been let in to the rest of Canada, we still drove around a bit and walked through the duty free shop which were all on Canadian soil.

      Maybe next time!

      Delete
  2. Ed, I find the Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald endlessly fascinating and I do not have any great interest in shipwrecks. I suspect it is mostly due to the Gordon Lightfoot song.

    Things like what you experienced are what is convincing me more and more that I am just as well off traveling internally or staying home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still find some excellent museums on occasion and the tiny one at Whitefish Point can fall in that category, but so many have been turned from education to child daycare centers. But I'm probably in a very small minority that think that as I often have read a book or three on whatever subject a particular museum is covering. Case in point, I have read a book about famous shipwrecks on the Great Lakes many years ago.

      Delete
  3. Thanks. You know what running on an endless loop in my head now. That's pretty neat about the bell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the EF had been found because it had made the news but I didn't know about the retrieval of the deck bell or it's replacement with an identical one inscribed with the names of the victims. I thought that was a very fitting tribute for the families of those people.

      Delete
  4. I haven't been into Canada for quite a while, even though I live so close. Good to know about the Arrive Canada paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my second time on Canadian soil though I guess technically, I've still only been officially into Canada once several years ago.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you couldn't get into Canada. I used to cross over all the time for a meal when I lived in Western NY back in the early 90s. Fresh walleye is delicious! Whitefish Point is best seen from outside. Last summer, I was there for the first time in a dozen or so years, so I did a couple mile hike through the dunes and along the water. The trip along the east side of Lake Michigan can be really crowded, but places like Sleeping Bear Dunes are interesting as are some of the older "port" towns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to the distances and traffic involved, I knew I would have to miss seeing a lot. But if I ever get back to that area, I would like to hole up in one of those old port towns along the east side of Lake Michigan and have gander.

      Delete
  6. I've been to the museum, and I loved it, although I was mighty sick of Gordon Lightfoot by the time I was through. Those old shipwrecks are fascinating to read about, and there are some pretty awesome pictures. I read a native author from a tribe up there who wrote about one ship wreck. The cargo was cows. He claimed that the lake was so cold that the cows never decomposed, that they bobbed and floated on the bottom of lLake Superior to this day, a macabre bovine ballet. That description has always stuck in my head and I've tried to prove (or disprove) it through the years. Your post reminded me of that. I found this: https://www.mlive.com/life-and-culture/erry-2018/11/14401ed0dd7630/90yearold-shipwreck-caused-by.html It would seem that the author didn't let facts get in the way of a vivid description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a pretty cool story you linked! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. When we were returning to Hawaii from Stockholm with a stop-over in Vancouver, they asked for a PCR test and vaccination list. The Canadian flight attendants were very strict about mask wearing and other COVID protocols in May. I know the U.S. has totally relaxed their rules. Could be why my daughter caught COVID on the way home to Illinois from Hawaii in July even though she wore N95s throughout the flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that they were strict which is why I brought our vaccination cards and we all had masks. But alas, I had not heard about the Arr Can form.

      Delete
  8. Ah, bureaucracy. You may not have gotten to officially enter Canada, but you got a good story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too and we still got our poutine and fish fix later that evening!

      Delete
  9. Oh no! I'm glad we didn't try to go to Canada when we were there! We noticed lots of traffic backed up on the bridge -- I'm guessing as a result of your talkative customs agent and the "Arkan." The shipwreck museum looks interesting. We didn't make it out there either. I remember the reference to Whitefish Bay in the Lightfoot song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long ways out there and a long way from anywhere. I think the museum would have made more sense in Soo Marie, despite the proximity thing to one of the featured wrecks.

      P.S. For the first time in a long time, I didn't have to dig your comment out of the spam folder. Perhaps blogger has fixed the issue finally!

      Delete
  10. I just heard about the online nightmare of filling out those forms , it took one of my friends days to get it right because of the Canadian System. My best friend in High School...her Dad was on an Ore Ship...when he first applied he had a choice between two ships and one was the Edmond Fitzgerald. Talk about lucky:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was just as well we decided not to go back, fill out the form and try again.

      Cool story about the Edmond Fitzgerald!

      Delete

Post a Comment