Still Learning New Things

 

I grew up in farmhouses with septic tanks but upon leaving the farm, I thought I had left them behind as well. But when we moved to our current house, in city limits, just barely, it had a septic tank instead of being attached to city sewer. As I would come to find out over the years, many areas on the edge of town are like ours with septic tanks. Also, unlike any septic tanks I was familiar with, it had an additional stage where it pumps air into the "liquids" to help promote bacteria growth and digestions of solids to supposedly make the sand filter last much much longer than normal systems.

Part of the transaction of buying the house required an inspection of the septic system because it was more than ten years old as required by state law. It passed inspection and so we moved into a house with a septic system more than ten years old (exactly how old I have since forgotten) in good shape but of which I had no knowledge of how it worked or its function. 

Shortly after moving in, a fellow from Wisconsin showed up to check on our septic system. I was hesitant but he assured me that he had a fully paid three year contract to do so and it wouldn't cost me a dime. Everything looked great and he said that he checks them twice a year and would be back in six months. Six months later he came back but this time found a pump needing replaced costing me several hundred dollars in parts and labor, not included in the contract. Another time he worked on it again replacing something and again charging me lots of money. Yet another time he checked the main tank (as part of the contract) and told me it needed pumping and then three months after I did have it pumped, he arrived and told me the same thing. When I told him I just had it pumped, he mumbled about how something must have gone wrong, rechecked it and said everything was indeed fine. 

Anyway, by the time my contract ran out and he hit me with another contract for a large sum of money for the next three years, I had decided to part ways with him and told him so. He lectured me about how septic checks were state law (they aren't) and that I would regret the decision as he stormed off.

Since that day, eight years have gone by with not a single problem.


A few days before our vacation, I was filling up the water container in the greenhouse, right next to the aeration tank in our system, and noticed that the pump motor wasn't audible. There is an alarm system in the house to let me know when this happens but it wasn't working at some point back when the maintenance guy from Wisconsin had tried unsuccessfully to fix it. Since I can hear the whine of the motor when I'm near, I have never worried about the alarm. But I knew that I needed to fix the motor or it could cause problems with our system by plugging up our sand filter much quicker leading to much more expensive repairs. So I made a note to remember that and left on vacation.

Back from vacation I lifted the cover and saw the above mess. I'm not sure how all that dirt got in there. I checked and found power was going to the pump motor but the motor wasn't turning and was hot to the touch. I got the model number and spent a couple hours trying to find someone who fixes or replaces those things but everyone said it was a specialty system only worked on by "some guy from Wisconsin". I was starting to catch on. I googled the part number and found the motors readily available online from a dozen stores so I ordered one and it arrived three days later at my doorstep.

Making sure to keep everything the same, well except that I used actual wire nuts instead of wads of electrical tape the Wisconsin guy had used, I swapped out the pump motor one morning while it was cool. In doing so, I figured out what had caused the problem. The circular tin on the left of the photo above and below (I apologize for my thumb on the one below) is the cover for an air filter for the air intake to the pump. It was completely caked with dirt to the point that there was no possible way for air to get drawn into the pump. Hence, the pump had essentially sucked itself to death and seized up. Who knew? I certainly didn't and it was a costly mistake. But the new pump in place with the air filter cleaned out, works great and now that I think of it, isn't whining nearly as loud as before. I have made a mental note to check on the filter once a year from now on and keep it clean so perhaps I can get another ten years, even more, out of my septic system.



Comments

  1. I've never heard of an aerator as part of a septic tank, so it is new to me as well. Headed right off to google to read about it. The guy from Wisconsin sounds like he had a pretty nice little scam going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve heard from others that they are great systems if it weren’t for the monopoly on the service.

      Delete
  2. I am going to go for the low-hanging fruit because I cna’t help myself. That guy from Wisconsin seems like a shi77y person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding to the low hanging fruit… he was in the end!

      Delete
  3. Good job! We had a treatment plant the first 20 or so years we lived here, then it seems like we switched to a septic tank for some reason. Now we're on the rural water association's sewage and I wish we'd never gotten with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should ask around to see what others pay to be on city sewage per month.

      Delete
  4. That guy from Wisconsin sounds like a scam artist! I've never heard of someone buying a house and having a septic serviceman come with it. Is there really no one else more local who can do the job? Anyway, bravo to you for making these repairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t found anybody yet. Maybe I should hire out.

      Delete
  5. Although I'm on a sewer I grew up in an area that is primarily on septic and they are designed to run a long time without the maintenance that WI scammer pulled on you. We have tanks that are designed to break down the "material" and a drain field. My parents had to get a pump since one time they got the tank pumped (which happens infrequently) the company didn't replace the bad baffle which ruined the drain field. I think it's amazing that you can do all this! Perhaps you should horn into the WI guy's territory since you are much more ethical than he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure I want to work in such a crappy business.

      Delete
    2. You sound a wee bit pissy. ;) Double punny.

      Delete
  6. What a scam artist - "fixing" things that don't need fixing and using electrical tape instead of proper connections. Ah well. You did good for yourself, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly was a lack of transparency on his part.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, the things I learn from my blog friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may have been an unneeded lesson if one always lives in town and on city sewer.

      Delete
  8. Good to hear that you were able to get things squared away, Ed, and not have to deal with that guy from Wisconsin. I also forgot that you were that close to Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m close to a corner but a long drive to the far side.

      Delete
  9. Interesting Ed. We have septics on both the house at The Ranch and The Cabin and I believe neither of them use a pump, just gravity.

    My uncle, who inherited my grandfathers' cabin, had it switched from septic to sewage when the local town installed one. Even though the cabin had a septic tank, was only used in the summer, and had many years of service, they made him join. Now he pays a monthly bill for something he uses 3-4 months a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours only uses gravity too. The pump I replaced just injects air to help foster the breaking down of solids better.

      Delete
  10. Sheesh! I'm glad you stopped using that con artist. I've never seen a septic system before. I guess I'm glad I don't have that worry. I just worry about what our toilet will do next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably a good thing not to have a septic system in Hawaii where the water table is probably pretty high.

      Delete
    2. True, we're just worried about the fuel contamination from the Navy's underground storage that leaked and poisoned so many people.

      Delete
  11. After having lived with a septic tank for 30 years, one of my chief requirements for our retirement house was being connected to the city sewer system. Still, life happens. We had to pay $900 when our connector pipe clogged up due to root invasion from a tree. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figuring up what I would pay on a monthly basis for city sewer, I'm sure I'm quite aways ahead with septic. But had I paid for the initial install and depreciated that out, I'm sure I would be money ahead to just be connected to the city sewer. If I had a preference, I would choose city sewer but the house and lot sometimes is worth more than a sewer connection.

      Delete
  12. I will have to ask my brother about this as he installs septic systems. I have never heard of it. It will be interesting to hear what he says.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ed, I spoke with my brother. He says " To replace a sand filter system is about $50,000.00 so in his opinion paying someone to maintain it may well be worth the money so that it lasts for many years." He also said that contracts are well worth it and the person should know exactly what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment