Pictured Rocks

Around the middle of our trip, we were transitioning from western to eastern upper peninsula of Michigan and I saw on many maps and websites about boat tours offered to see the famed "Pictured Rocks" which were a protected area along the coast of Lake Superior. Not wanting to taint myself ahead of time, I avoided googling any pictures and just jotted down the location of the boat terminal in case we decided to purchase tickets. As it turned out, we did decide to do so and I am enthralled at what we were able to witness as a result. Above is another old lighthouse spotted along the shore line of an island as we made our way out to the Pictured Rocks area.

As we approached the shoreline rose from the water in an impressive band of cliffs and started showing signs of water staining which is the process that created the Pictured Rocks. The water in the high water tables leech minerals out of the rocks and deposits them on the cliff faces as it runs down to Lake Superior.

The colors just seemed to get progressively bolder as the 2-1/2 hour boat tour progressed.

A closeup view of one of the walls.

We saw a number of kayaks along the way which baffled me for awhile since protected bays were few (3 in 15 miles) and Lake Superior is notorious for rough water. In fact, the tours of the day before had been cancelled for that very reason according to some of the other passengers who had been rebooked for our day. But I soon saw there were tender boats that hauled the kayaks and paddlers out to scenic areas and launched and picked them up using a ramp off the back of the tender boat without the paddler ever having to get their feet wet. If I ever am back in the area, I will try kayaking for sure.

Above were some sea caves about at the peak of the coloring. It was truly stunning.

Also along the way we saw some land arches that had been eroded out of the bluffs.

This one caught my eye.

This uniquely colored sea cave was called Rainbow Cave.

Although I'm sure no longer politically correct anymore, the outcropping on the left was called Indian Head point.

Another land arch that had partially collapsed relatively recently in history. If I recall, it happened about 50 years ago.


 I think this feature was called the broken flower vase.


Finally, this one probably has a name but I've forgotten it. It has a large white pine growing on top of it and used to be connected to the mainland by a natural bridge which the pine's roots grew across to access the necessary moisture and nutrients. The natural bridge has since collapsed but the roots are still suspended across the gap and keeping that solitary white pine alive. 

It was truly a beautiful place and I was sorry when the trip ended 2-1/2 hours later and we had to drive on to Sault Ste. Marie on the eastern reaches of the peninsula.

Comments

  1. I confess to never hearing of the Pictured Rocks even though we bordered on Michigan for more than 3 decades (in Sarnia, by Port Huron, MI). But we were not near the UP, for sure. They look wonderful, however. And that it quite the lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way. I never heard anything about them until I was planning on being in the area and did a google search of things to see. But I will certainly remember them for the remainder of my life.

      Delete
  2. I love those arches. Looks like a beautiful excursion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit crowded and commercialized for my taste but the scenery made it worthwhile.

      Delete
  3. What lovely photos! I've never heard of this place and it's truly a beautiful location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was guessing many wouldn't have heard about it either.

      Delete
  4. Those cliffs are stunning! I had never heard of them either but then I've never been to MI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Michigan several times and had never heard of them until I made it up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Indian Head does look like an Indian head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely see the resemblance myself too

      Delete
  6. I found your blog via Margaret/Stargazer. Love that you are visiting the Michigan's UP and especially the Pictured Rocks. I grew up in Sault Ste. Marie and though I have lived my adult life in Ann Arbor MI, we still own a family beach outside of Sault Ste. Marie. Despite that history, I did not visit the Pictured Rocks until 16 years ago when my cousin arranged for a kayak tour (my 80-something aunt, her kids, me and my daughter). Nowadays there is a fancy boat (you saw that) to help launch kayakers and pull them back in when the weather gets rough, as it certainly can. We did not have that when we did our tour but we were lucky with the weather. Glad you are enjoying the "yooperland". Here's a link to our trip if you're interested (assuming it will post): http://www.ababsurdo.com/pictures/pictured-rocks-kayak-trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to your post. If I ever go back to the area, that will be the way I see it, via kayak. It looks a lot more fun especially since I've seen most of the cliffs now so I can just focus on one area.

      Delete
  7. Wow Ed! Those are amazing - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite stunning. Hurray for google and finding sites to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did we ever do before google? I guess we just drove blindly by those sites that didn't advertise by billboard.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! I heard about the Pictured Rocks when I was in the UP but we didn't go. On a future trip, perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit over commercialized like Mackinac, but I found the beauty of the place worth the crowds and pricing.

      Delete
  10. Great photos. Picture Rocks is a magically place. I have hiked along the shoreline of it and seen some of those sights from above but have not done a boat tour. Kayaking it has been on my list--you need to be prepared and able to not only roll but to re-enter a boat if you capsize and have to crawl out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I would want to do that unsupported. From the looks of things, I wasn't so worried about tipping over as most places, even at the base of the steep cliffs had a little ledge of rocks one could scramble up on and get re-launched. But I certainly wouldn't want to spend a night there should a storm blow up quickly.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! How wonderful that you got to experience the sights...rocks are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We did that tour. The trip was cut short as the weather began to pick up and the waves got choppy. But it was a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were fortunate in a sense that we had beautiful weather but unfortunate in that the previous day had bad weather and was cancelled so all were scheduled on our day and time with an extra boat so it was pretty crowded.

      Delete
  13. Wow! What an amazing area! My daughter in law is from Michigan but I haven't spent much time there. Those painted rocks are totally awesome. I would love to see it too. You guys really had a fun trip and saw so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment