Going the Extra Mile Seated

Due to the heat and an unconditioned garage, progress has been slow on the porch swing. But gradually in the early mornings before it gets too hot, I have been making progress getting the seat part of the swing put together. I did find a set of plans and have been loosely following them but am also making changes as I see fit. One of the biggest changes is that the design called for exposed fasteners. I don't mind a few of them but in the swing seat alone, there are a ton of them and so I decided to go another route. I drilled and counterbored all the holes before fastening them.

I've always wanted a plug cutter but never have bought one. I guess the main reason is because I either do joinery that required no fasteners other than glue or I am okay with exposed fasteners. They are pretty cheap in price so cost wasn't really a factor. So I bought one and drilled about a bajillion plugs in a scrap piece of board. They can then be broken out with a screwdriver or run through the tablesaw at the appropriate depth. My tablesaw had a bunch of tools on it and so I just used a screwdriver.


I dabbed glue on each plug, aligned the grain with the seat slat grain and pounded them home with a rubber mallet. After they dry, I will cut them flush with a flush cutting saw and sand them smooth. I'm not going to do it for every hole I make but I'm going to do most of the fasteners that might touch skin when a person is sitting on the swing or those on the "face" of the swing. Those facing the back will be left for the casual observer right before they get a face full of swing. 



Comments

  1. Nice work. I have never heard of a plug cutter. I was thinking you could do this with a hole saw of which I have many, but then you'd be left with a center hole to plug with a dowel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a set of hole saw bits but like you alluded too, without the center drill point, they would wander around and mar up the wood and mine, at any rate, aren't the sharpest in the world and don't leave a very good finish.

      Delete
  2. A plug cutter. The things we novices never think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known about them for awhile but for use on a rare occasion, there are other ways to get by without them. With this many holes to plug, I decided it was time to go a more efficient route. Now the trick is to remember that I own a plug cutting set and to remember where I put it the next time I need them.

      Delete
  3. That's an excellent idea. I know all about plug cutters having been married for decades to a construction guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine he had use for them now and then.

      Delete
  4. What a marvelous job you are doing. Your wife does appreciate you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I hope it ends up a great project instead of fuel for the fireplace.

      Delete
  6. You both technically efficient and creative in your doings.

    BTW I had a question about what am I exactly wrt to my wife’s grand (I guess) nephews.The answers I got were just great or grand uncle. Technically I guess I am a great or grand uncle in law. I said int he post that I thought you would know. If you want to wade in. https://anvilcloud.blogspot.com/2022/08/it-finally-happened.html Or not. It’s not important, just a curiosity in passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often log onto the internet on weekends and so posts like the one you linked, sometimes slip by me if I don't backspace enough to read older posts. Thanks for pointing it out and I tried to answer your question on the original post.

      Delete
  7. Count me in with those who just learned what a plug cutter is! And what a clever invention it is! This is a great project that should keep you busy into the cooler months. Will look forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to do a single thing on it for several weeks do to a variety of things. Hopefully soon I can get back to it.

      Delete
  8. You amaze me all the time with your super carpentry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment