Torsion Top


Above you can see what the inside of a torsion top assembly table looks like. It is essentially a honeycomb of wood that makes the table somewhat "lightweight" compared to being of solid wood and not prone to warping so it remains extremely flat. I will put another sheet of plywood on top of this that will be my actual work surface and give it a more finished look. On the underside between each leg will be some cabinets that will help stiffen things up even more and provide lots of needed storage. That part will probably wait though for a bit while I get started on another project.

The only drawback to this whole build has been the weather. When it gets to be 70 to 80% humidity outside as it has been the last three days, glue cures VERY SLOWLY. So creating the honeycomb took me three days instead of the one I had been planning on. After the glue dries, I will do a little sanding to flatten everything nicely and then apply the top skin with nothing but glue and some small brad nails. 

Comments

  1. I am always impressed by your abilities and workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a very interesting area. Kunta Kinte certainly fought back memories. Toots was a long time ago now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should put a plexiglass top on it with hinges, then you could store screws and stuff in the boxes. That's amazing work, Ed.

      Delete
    2. That is very cool looking! Too bad you need a top for it because it would be an excellent storage area for smaller items.

      Delete
    3. I have never seen a table done like that before! That's pretty neat.

      Delete
    4. Jeff - Sounds like a good idea but would probably rattle a lot when banged upon.

      Delete
    5. Debby - It is better this way for making things to store things!

      Delete
    6. Margaret- I got your response mixed up with Debby.

      Delete
  3. I like how it looks! A shame that it will be covered up, but that is how it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a torsion top before and it makes perfect sense. I think you should put a secret message or some little item in one of those cubby holes for a future generation to come across should the table ever be disassembled. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even begin to imagine what it took to create that, the precision of the cuts to make them all fit. You always amaze me, Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! I had no idea about a torsion top, but it makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an idea I picked awhile ago and has been bouncing around my brain ever since.

      Delete
  7. This looks great! Like Debby, I have never anything like it before. I love the idea of the cabinets below. No matter the project, you can never have enough storage compartments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment