Showing Off My Legs

I was referring to my assembly table legs of course. What were you thinking?

After finalizing my design, I made a trip to the local big box store where I sifted through an immense stack of "premium" studs to find nine that were fairly straight and knot free. I brought them back home where I cut them into rough pieces and 30+ gallons of sawdust and shavings. The end result is that I end up with something that looks like finished boards instead of rough studs but it takes a lot of time and energy to get them that way. Over the winter I splurged and bought a pair of bluetooth earmuffs that not only reduce ambient noise but allows me to listen to music for entertainment. That made a dull job slightly less boring.

I glued up all those boards into large rectangular legs with overlapping joints for increased strength and applied a thousand clamps to them to dry overnight. Because I don't have an assembly table, or really any table for making things anymore, I am proceeding a bit differently than I might have otherwise. I am going to build the legs and then fasten a web for strength in-between them. This should make it mobile at that point and then allow me to build the top of my assembly table using the leg assembly as my table. That's the theory anyway.

It was nice to get out in the garage and make some sawdust after a two year absense.


 

Comments

  1. nice teaser of a title that should help your SEO rankings! And your table looks to be sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what SEO stands for but I'm all for increasing my rankings within it... I think.

      Delete
    2. SEO is "search engine optimization"! If you'd worked the word "stud" into the headline that would have helped too. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the clarification. My all time most clicked on post was titled "Things That Make Noise In the Night," about a young man looking for his girlfriend but too lazy to exit his car in the middle of the night.

      Delete
  2. I am sure that you look good in shorts though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps if my legs were ran through a planer and the rough edges trimmed off!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it nice that you have a thousand clamps to use! 😉 -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, until it comes time to hang them all back up out of the way.

      Delete
  4. VERY nice legs, though I am a bit disappointed in just seeing your wood ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you had seen the real deal, you would have been happy to just see the wooden ones!

      Delete
  5. I'm still trying to sell/give away a bunch of C clamps of my late husband. They are heavy! My grandfather had one wooden leg so your post made me smile. I bet it did feel good to get back to normal activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C clamps are more used by metal workers than wood workers so perhaps you need to change the direction you are searching in.

      Delete
    2. Nope, they are used all the time by stair builders which was my husband's specialty.

      Delete
  6. Well, the plane truth of the matter is that I saw right away that this was not a post I was going to be board with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment