Odds and Ends


I thought I would close out this series of posts on my vacation with some odds and ends. One evening, too late to really do anything else, we decided to go visit a World War II memorial built near a full size replica of Stonehenge. It was built on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River.


Although not particularly my cup of tea when it comes to things defined as "must see", I found it quite nice to wander around the inside looking out the various gaps in the rocks at the views.


Up on the high ground of The Dalles, there is an old building that remains of a long abandoned fort that is now a museum. The above is not that building. Above is an old cabin that belonged to the Anderson family that was taken apart log by log and moved onto the fort/museum grounds to house authentic historical items found in The Dalles. As it happens, my ancestor Henry Lincoln Kuck married a lady by the name of Minnie Anderson and although I don't know exactly how (on my list of research projects), I do know she comes from the same clan of Andersons. So we took a gander and met two local historians whom swapped stories of my Kuck ancestors with me for awhile, one of whom is sending me some more information on how my Anderson relates to the Andersons who built and lived in the cabin above.


One of several of Henry Kuck's saddles in one room of the Anderson cabin.


Early during our ride on Sasquatch Shuttles, we stopped at a well known and very luxurious rest area along the road. It was closed and the clouds around were still low from a recent rain when I snapped this photo. Later I returned and took photos when the clouds were much higher but I still like this one the best. Despite the freeway down in the valley below, it just shouts out to my exploration itch.


Our school bus drive with Sasquatch Shuttles told us about another waterfall that while labeled along the main road, was rarely visited despite a nice path down to it from the road. After we were back in our rental car, we drove to that falls, stopped and enjoyed some time with not another soul around. Just as we climbed back up the path to our car, three other vehicles in quick succession, having seen our car parked along the road, stopped and started down the path. 


Above is a glimpse of that waterfall backdropped by an old bridge that was nearby. 

Comments

  1. It looks like such a wonderful region to explore. I do find that Stonehenge a little odd, but that not, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little odd. I've also visited a full scale replica of the Parthenon many years ago too. I've heard that there is another Stonehenge built entirely of old Cadillacs. I like running across those sorts of things.

      Delete
  2. This random array made for a very interesting post. It's kind of a shame that they have to put a sign on the saddle telling folks not to get on it. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are so used to modern museums that have been turned into glorified daycare centers instead of institutions of learning that these sorts of things are now necessary.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to many of the sites you visited--and in my neck of the woods. How embarrassing. I admire how you seek out places that are interesting and historical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never enjoyed crowded places and so I often find myself gravitating to the lesser known things when in an area. I am a big fan of Atlas Obscura which seeks out those places.

      Delete
  4. How bizarre that someone built a replica of Stonehenge. Of course, part of the miracle of Stonehenge is that it was built at all given the technology of the time. It's not quite the same in the modern era! I like the bridge photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly isn't as awe inspiring knowing it was built with concrete forms and lots of concrete trucks versus theories of how people without power tools moved stones hundreds of miles.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it's those unexpected and unplanned spots that provide the most interest. Your pictures are great (I particularly like the one with the bridge in it). You obviously had a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's great that you always visit a variety of sites. True, they aren't of equal interest, but overall, they make for a very interesting trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With multiple people with me, it is a little for everyone.

      Delete
  7. You really do go to interesting places. Actually, we are planning to go to the British Isles next year and Art was looking up whether it was feasible for us to travel to Stonehenge. So I'm looking at your photo and wondering.... hmmmm... well... we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never been to the real deal but once when I was looking at going, one could take a bus there from London.

      Delete

Post a Comment