At the Beach

To start off our vacation, we flew to Portland but not without issues as many have heard in the news about flying. Fortunately, our planes weren't cancelled but the first one had oil under the engine which required a cleaning and then cycling at full throttle to pressure test it before taking off. That meant our generous connection in Denver was a sprint and just making it onto the plane. Fortunately, we didn't have any checked bags, the benefits of packing light.

So before heading east to The Dalles, we headed west for a day on the coast. After doing some research, I set my sights on Ecola State Park which happened to be the filming sight for a few scenes from the classic childhood movie The Goonies. Above, is a the view (only seen from reverse as it was portrayed in the movie) where Mikey lined up the coin with Haystack Rock to locate the Inn where the treasure hunt started.

Unfortunately we found the beach shut off when we got there due to a landslide. We walked around a bit and then decided to drive to another beach in the park around a bend in the coastline and out of sight of the Goonies filming location. 

Being a stranger to temperate rainforests, I was fascinated by them. I felt like I was an extra in Jurassic Park the entire time.


The other beach was accessible and huge to say the least. It also had it's share of rocks giving it a unique feel that I was looking to sense. 

The tide pools left by a stream slowly flowing into the ocean from somewhere in the bluffs behind me caught my camera's attention.

I had no idea of the tide level but judging from this scene on a rock we hiked too, it was somewhere less than high tide leaving this smorgasbord of seafood exposed. I was fascinated by the sounds all the creatures made and wished I could have picked some for dinner. But I didn't know the legalities of doing so, especially in a state park and we were staying in a motel with no cooking equipment so we left them alone. 


Even if I could have collected some and had the means to cook them, I'm not sure I would have touched this one which was probably six inches in diameter. I don't even know what it was other than it was definitely alive. 


Being somewhat of a Lewis and Clark buff, having read their journals and several compiled books of their famous exploration journey, I had to stop and see the replica of Fort Clapsop south of Astoria, Oregon. I knew it wasn't original and wasn't likely to add any new insight for me but it felt like coming full circle. So after the beach we drove back north to stop and see the museum and replica fort and go for a short hike on the property. From there we headed into Astoria proper for a very late seafood lunch, or very early supper as it turned out, before driving back east and to our motel in downtown The Dalles.

Comments

  1. Your northwest has some very photo-worthy coastlines that I occasionally see in photography vlogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure it was a popular sight among photographers.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos! My husband and one of my kids are big fans of The Goonies. I don't think I've ever watched it all the way through. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those movies that seems to have withstood the test of time in my opinion. If I were to see it on tomorrow, I could watch it again without ever being bored.

      Delete
  3. I've been to Haystack Rock (many years ago) and never knew it was featured in "The Goonies"! I don't think I've ever seen that movie, actually. It was kind of after my time. Anyway, beautiful shots of a beautiful stretch of coastline. I think your big mystery creature is some kind of anemone, and yeah, probably not edible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn’t tempted with it but the mussels were very tempting.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos. Having grown up near the Atlantic, with the long sandy beaches of the Carolinas, I have always been impressed by the differences of the Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to the coast many times over the years but I think this is the first time I have been to a place on the coast with lots of rocks offshore so it was kind of novel for me.

      Delete
  5. Cool shoreline creatures! Wonder what the blob is? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sort of hoping someone more familiar than I would tell me. I'm guessing it is some sort of sea anemones but having been 30+ years out of a biology class, I'm just guessing for the most part. If I remember right, sea anemones have tentacles.

      Delete
  6. Your photo of the beach in the mist is gorgeous! I wonder if that blob is a sea cucumber?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are asking the wrong person. I know my sea fauna about as much as I do the Arabic language.

      Delete
  7. It does look like an anemone to me although I haven't seen one that looked like that around the outside. Beautiful views--I love the coast and the "Big Ocean" as my kids used to call it. We are very close to the Sound where I live which is the "Small Ocean." There's something so soothing and timeless about the waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m in agreement. I can sit all day and watch any moving water be it oceans or rivers.

      Delete
  8. I long to visit that area, and your photos make me long to see it even more. Hope you'll be sharing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m planning on sharing a lot more photos.

      Delete
  9. One of my favorite destinations is the Oregon Coast, so beautiful! I bet you had a fun time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely one of our better vacations in awhile.

      Delete
  10. It is a giant green anemone. Doesn't look terribly healthy to me, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the answer. It was about three feet above water level so perhaps it looked that way because it had been out of the water for awhile.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photos! I've never been to the Pacific northwest, so it's fascinating to see it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Even though this was my first time, it won't be my last time... I hope!

      Delete
  12. The Pacific Northwest is a great place to visit Ed! I am a great lover of tide pools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like snorkeling for those who don’t snorkel.

      Delete
    2. It's good that you made the connection to Portland even though you had to run for it.

      Delete
    3. Nothing worse than missing part of an already short vacation.

      Delete
  13. This is just so cool! I love your Jurassic Park forest, but am really drawn to your tide pools. I've never seen a creature like that here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment