An Inch and a Half Short

 

After releasing my leg assemblies from all the clamps, I cut a rabbet (not to be confused with a rabbit) around the inside perimeter on one side and eased some scrap pieces of plywood I had laying around into the rectangular openings. This serves a few purposes. It will prevent the legs from racking if large side load was applied to the affair, it provided me with a place to attach the center web which will keep the table from bowing in the center and help me attach the table to the legs. Finally, there will be a shallow recess on each end that I eventually plan to put some shelving into so I can store small things like bottles of glue or frequently used things like tape measures, pencils and small clamps. But that will wait for a future date, perhaps later this fall depending on how my next project(s) goes.  I also attached castors underneath so that I can accomplish the mobile portion of this project and true to the word mobile, it required me to be mobile twice to the local hardware store to get the required amount of hardware. Four times four is sixteen and not eight as I somehow came up with the first time around.

When doing these sorts of projects, I end up with a fair amount of leftover plywood that I just don't want to throw away. It is labor intensive to cut into small enough pieces to fit in a trash bin, very heavy and limits our capacity of actual household trash. If I load it up and take it to the county dump, it costs me $15 and is environmentally unfriendly. And so I have a pretty good pile of scraps. While looking for the webbing piece (rectangle between the two leg assemblies), all of them were a bit short, except for two full size sheets which I plan on using for making the top. The biggest scrap I could find in the thickness I was looking for was an inch and a half two short. I thought about it for about 5 seconds and decided that was close enough. I will have to adjust my future drawer designs to account for this but since I have no material bought yet, that isn't much of a penalty to pay when compared to the alternative of driving to the big box store, buying a very expensive sheet of plywood, hauling it back home, cutting it to size and then adding another large piece to my expanding scrap plywood collection. 

Next up is the table top which is going to be a torsion box assembly. Basically it is a method of building a table top that is incredibly stiff and flat, a method I have never done before myself. It doesn't look too complicated on YouTube but those could be famous last thoughts.  It will be close as to if I have the required amount of leftover plywood to complete it without buying yet another sheet. 

Comments

  1. I guess it's the engineer in you that can easily adapt and recalculate. I don't think I've ever known what type of engineer you are. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mechanical. I spent the first half of my career in machine design and the last half in product with occasional machine design.

      Delete
  2. Ah, I didn't realize you're an engineer by training. That explains a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does bring your engineering skills into play although it's much more fun to do projects around the house than at a job. Many of my college girlfriends (and a couple guy friends) were/are engineers and they were constantly stressed by various projects and their deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although not constant, I was definitely stressed at times about timelines, especially ones dependent on others around me. Nothing worse than getting my part done ahead of time only to have someone else get so far behind. Nobody remembers come review time that I got my part done efficiently and ahead of schedule. They just remember that the project was delivered months late and all the problems that caused.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for working with what you've got. But I'm not surprised! You're pretty clever at things like that. It's time consuming to fish around in scraps, but there's something really satisfying about not having to buy things for a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is even more satisfying having a much smaller pile of scraps taking u valuable space.

      Delete
  5. I concur what Steve Reed said. It really does explain a lot, Ed. Continued good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping you and Steve are referring to my like of DIY activities.

      Delete
  6. All those piles of scrap come in handy at one point or the other. The question is when?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. When can be a lot longer than we would like.

      Delete
  7. Well... a mechanical engineer needs to have problem solving, mechanical and math skills on top of creativity. So that explains how you're able to do these incredible projects so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment