The Reunion

 Although I do have a Facebook account, I never got into Messenger. It just seemed to be a worse version of using the default texting app on my iPhone. I also hated that people could easily add my name to huge groups and then send idle chatter all day long causing my phone to always  beep. So I found out how to mute notifications from Messenger and rarely look at it much to the chagrin of some people I know.

But once in awhile I do check in and not to long ago found a message from my graduating class's foreign exchange student. She was going to be back in our neck of the woods and was wondering if I could send out the call for an impromptu class reunion. Since this was a replay of a similar reunion we had ten years ago, all the work was essentially done and so I wrote back that I would send out invites and arrange everything.

Getting everyone together on the tail end of a pandemic on a Saturday evening proved to be problematic. The last reunion was held in a restaurant in a town where we all went to elementary school, a large restaurant (and only restaurant) in a town with a population of only a few hundred people. Despite this, the staff didn't seem keen on us taking up too much space and loudly conversing and so I looked into other venues. Finally after lots of mental debate, I just settled on my backyard. It was near enough to most people to make it an easy trip, outside we could alleviate covid concerns, and we could stay as long as we wanted and not bother anyone or take up space that others would pay to have. So it was agreed to and the date was set.

At the time of year, with temperatures average around 70 F degrees for a high, and lows in the lower 50's, I thought it would be a great time to hold a bonfire. But as the day arrived, the temperature was south of freezing and the high was forecasted to only get up in the high 40's. I build the bonfire up anyway so I could burn some derecho debris and the foreign exchange student arrived first. We sat around the bonfire for about ten minutes waiting for others and then decided to just move it indoors.

As it turned out, we had a 50% attendance rate! Lest you worry about how crowded it was inside our very small house, we only had 8 kids in my graduating class so besides the foreign exchange student, only the two other boys in our class (fraternal twins) showed up and of course myself. One of the other four girls had messaged me in the morning that their family was sick and didn't want to pass anything around and another girl who acknowledged seeing the invite, never showed up. The two remaining girls I just have never been able to contact for one reason or another. I have sent messages to siblings who either ignored them or passed them on and I still never got a response. 

Despite half of the class unable to attend, the four of us had a good time catching up. There was the usual reliving of memories, some setting the record straight, getting caught up on everyone's life since graduation, etc. It amazes me to see the young teenager still present in everyone though to anybody else, they just look like an adult just shy of a mid-life crisis. It isn't a view that I see everyday. Of the four, only one of them ended up as I expected in high school. He wanted to be a farmer and is. The pilot ended up as a manager of a company that provides services for farmers. A wife and kids got in the way of enough hours to fly commercially. The lawyer got her law degree and now sells cheese out of a truck after deciding being a lawyer just wasn't living the dream. The engineer is now a semi-retired stay at home dad trying to find ways to put his engineering skills to use in a family environment.

Of those that didn't come, the quiet one who never really interacted with people in now a registered nurse with her own practice of interacting with people on a daily basis. Another person whom we never could really peg down to anything in life ended up becoming a rad-tech in a local hospital. The other two we really just don't know. One is rumored to have had/still have cancer and isn't doing well and the other is rumored to be still living in the town where we went to high school, population of less than 500, and yet despite some of us regularly frequenting town and it's two or three viable businesses, we've never seen her. 

I'm glad we were able to make this work on short notice before our foreign exchange student headed back home overseas. Since we've been averaging a reunion about once a decade after we began with a 20 year dry spell, the next ten years will be one with quite a few changes. Those of us with kids still in the house, (as far as I know only three of us) will have become empty nesters, those with grandkids already might have even more of them, and possible many of us will be retired. Perhaps one or more of us will be six feet underground by then. With the exception of the latter folks, I'm looking forward to seeing those who make it ten years from now and seeing where we ended up after all those years.

Comments

  1. When I started my first job in the city, I got teased for being a country bumpkin--people couldn't believe my graduating class only had 103 students (as kids up here graduate in classes of 700 or more). Ed, yours definitely takes the cake! But there's no such thing as too small a reunion, and that's nice you hosted it in your home. I've never attended a single class reunion since I graduated in 79.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I graduated, I never wanted to attend a reunion. But the older I have gotten the more appealing it has been and the last two reunions have been a lot of fun so I’m reformed completely on my reunion thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I graduated in 1962 with about 500 others, and scarcely knew any of them. I kept very much to myself in high school. And yet, I get messages about the get-togethers my senior class still has; it seems those times used to be a big deal, but now are just called meet-and-greet gatherings. At my age, I get three or four notices a month that someone from my graduating class has died, which reminds me my own time isn't all that long; but I knew that anyhow. Very few of the names even sound familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the big appeal to me is the very small class size so by graduation, we were more brothers and sisters than classmates.

      Delete
  3. I can see how a reunion of that small of a group would be feasible. Personally, being a quite type, I haven’t been tempted to attend a reunion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother’s class, more than twice the size of mine has never had a reunion either.

      Delete
  4. Ed, for all that I do not like The Book of Face, I do find Messenger useful. There are folks I speak with that I would not do so in any other way.

    I came from a much larger class (28 or so), but from a single classroom per grade K-8 school. I knew some of these people for 9 years before we entered high school. I speak to almost none of them but I suspect that, like you, we would find our lives took much different turning that what was anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were it not for being added to large groups that send upwards of 50 messages daily, I would like Messenger more. It does have the advantage of not needing a cellphone number.

      Delete
  5. My class had well over 400, but my children went to rural schools, so their classes were much smaller (maybe 20-30) -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although there were lots of advantages socially for small schools, it certainly was a disadvantage academically, at least to me who wanted to attend a four year college afterwards.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a nice reunion. Always interesting to see how people ended up with their respective careers. Gigi Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just when we think we know someone, we let 30 years go by and suddenly I realized how little I knew about them.

      Delete
  7. a lot different than my class of 750! Sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great time. My oldest has a graduating class somewhere 300+ and I have certainly seen a lot of differences between schools, good and bad.

      Delete
  8. How wonderful to be able to get together and in such a personal setting! I think everyone feels more comfortable that way. It was thoughtful of you to host. My graduating class was just over 300 and we still have get togethers and once in a while an actual reunion. I go to most of them because I enjoy seeing my classmates, many of whom are friends and know my back story as I know theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I know what a 300 person reunion would be like. I guess you certainly wouldn't be able to "reunite" with everyone, or even most of them, but it would certainly be a lot more diverse crowd to find someone more similar to yourself.

      Delete
  9. I just remove myself from any Messenger groups so I don't get all that unnecessary communication. But Messenger is great for communicating one-on-one with people you can't text (because you don't have their number, for example). Glad you got to have a mini-reunion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that and also muted conversations as well but still I get added back all the time into more. But yeah, it does have the advantage of not needing an actual phone number which can be handy at times.

      Delete
  10. Our graduating class had 800! We still have class reunions but I just don't feel good about going to them anymore. Maybe I am becoming a hermit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the less I want to leave home sometimes.

      Delete
  11. Only 8 in your high school graduating class! Oh my. I had 699 in mine. But I think it says something about you all, because your former exchange student wanted to see everyone. No greater commendation than that.

    Back when I used to visit facebook on occasion, messenger always confused me. I don't have the kind of phone to be message savvy, and then I always found it odd that FB seemed to "hide" new messages. I'd get email notifications for all sorts of updates, but never any word on new messages. When I did find new messages, I was always surprised to discover that they'd been made weeks prior. Why didn't I see them on previous visits? I guess I'm just a dinosaur when it comes to social networking. Give me a good old blog or forum any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m quickly turning into a social media dinosaur too.

      Delete
  12. That is a small class, sounds like you had a good reunion! My class had 153, they are mostly stuck up so I did not waste my time going to a reunion but I went to my husbands...I liked most of his classmates:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment