The Aftermath

I guess coming from a rural area, I am not wise to the ways of the outside world especially when it comes to tipping. A few days before, another client had approached me and asked how much I planned on tipping the crew. Up until that point, it hadn't even crossed my mind that a tip was even expected of me. So as the last of the clients climbed into the passenger van waiting to take up back to Flagstaff, I dug my wallet out of the bottom of my bag, cleaned it of all bills, and gave it to Bronco. I'm not sure if it had been too generous or insulting low, but it was all that I had and it had been worth every penny and then some.

I climbed into the back of the van and my body shut down. For some reason, an intense weariness as if I had survived some extraordinary ordeal overwhelmed me and I didn't even fight it. I fell asleep only waking once at a gas station in Boulder City where we dropped off a few of the passengers. The other clients were still babbling and perusing the cheap plastic trinkets on display as I exited the bathroom. Not having any money and more importantly not caring anymore, I just went back to the van and quickly fell asleep in the back of the van. As evening fell, I was dropped off at Days Inn and for all practical purposes, felt like I had just arrived from Mars.

The crew had to unpack and repack for another trip in a day and had told me they might give me a call if they had time to kill. While waiting for the call, I took my first hot shower in three weeks and for not wanting to return to civilization, the hot shower never felt better. I hacked off my beard that I had grown and then walked to a drugstore for a tube of antibiotic and box of Band-Aids so that I could treat my dozens of wounds that had never healed in the arid climate of the canyon floor. I can't imagine what the store clerk had thought seeing me looking like a mugging victim. I intended to write in my journal filling up pages of thoughts but managed only a few sentences due to the sadness of having recently broken up. The promised phone call never came and I don't blame them a bit. We all had our demons and one can only fight them alone sometimes. Instead, I completed my indoctrination back into reality by ordering a pizza and watching the movie "The Matrix" until my weariness returned. My dreams were all of water and torture.

Not wanting to chance meeting any of the other clients that were still around, I passed on the free continental breakfast, checked out and with my duffel bag of gear walked to a hole in the wall restaurant for breakfast. After a long breakfast, I asked the waitress if she could call a cab for me giving her the card of the one that had picked me up at the airport a lifetime ago. When he arrived, I threw my gear in the rear seat and climbed in. As he whisked me to the airport, I couldn't help but think of our first meeting when I had been so full of adventure and bravado. Now I was beaten down and sad. Fortunately for us both, he just drove in silence.

I was a lost person for quite awhile after getting back home. I had anticipated taking a few days off to catch up on errands and other things before returning to my job but in reality, I needed it just to get my emotions back into control. Even then, I felt like such a phony whenever asked about my trip and I role acted the excited adventurer as I told them tales. It had been exciting and it had been an adventure but it had been so much more than that to me. Even now, nine years (twenty two years) later, I still occasionally dream of sitting by a campfire sipping cognac and watching that full moon hypnotize me along the river deep in the bottom of that canyon. I still feel those emerald green waters tug at me from a thousand miles away and it is all I can do at times to not leave everything behind to dash toward that siren song.

A month would pass me by before I had the courage to transcribe all the addresses from the back of my journal to a letter that I mailed to all the clients and crew. I think at the time we had written them down back at the camp above Phantom Ranch, we all had visions of reunions and frequent communications back and forth. Perhaps my separation from the canyon had been more complete than others for I never heard a word back except a packet of photos from the German Jorge about two months later. I mailed a packet of photos back to him and another to Lee, the baggage raft oarsman whom I guess I most admired and enjoyed on the trip. Perhaps six months would go by and Mary, the cook's apprentice, would send me an email and to this day, we still communicate once a year about this and that, mostly about our family, but never about the river or the trip. (It has probably been two decades now since our last communication.) Of all the people, crew and client alike, I think she probably suffered as much as I did upon her return to reality.

A year and a half later, four planes would end up in the two towers of the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania and I would lose my job and my ability to save up unlimited amounts of vacation time and could only take vacations no longer than two weeks. Among those ashes rose a new life centered around a beautiful lady who would become my wife and later a beautiful daughter (now two). My dream of returning to that river to take up where I left off has been sitting on a back burner but is still simmering back there after all these years. The day will come when fate will allow me to return to that river, this time on a trip full of friends and family and not people whom will betray me or I them. Perhaps I will be oaring a dory of my own creation. Perhaps the next time, I will find a way to stay and never return and my blog will grow silent. Let us all hope.

Comments

  1. I thought there would be an epilogue, and there it was. What shall we do now, hmm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There shall be a catching up of non-time sensitive postings that I have written over the last month and a half, followed by a vacation which I'm sure will generate posts and eventually I have another series of posts planned for this fall about another place few on here have probably visited but has been a big influence in my life.

      Delete
  2. I am still confused about this tipping business. Always wondered "what if I don't want to tip, if the service is poor?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tipping culture has gone mad in this country making it hard to decide a proper tip or even when to give a tip. If service is bad, my next criteria is if it is a place I frequent? If no, I don’t leave a tip. If yes, and I wish to return again, I leave a minimal tip.

      Delete
  3. Ed, we had not nearly as long a trip as you, but I certainly experienced the same jarring return to reality you did (as well as the pleasure of a hot shower)! Given to effusive statements on a regular basis, I think it is far to say some trips we go out and never come back as our old selves again.

    I do wonder if that plays into the losing of contact as well (the same happened to our group): at some level, trips like these are intensely personal (good and bad) and to speak of them is almost to profane the sacred.

    The two memories that stick most in my mind are standing at the base of the New Hanz Trail, watching the Colorado River and realizing on the day before I had seen it as a stick-sized view from the viewpoint, and listen to the unending flow of the River at Escalante Beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it a bit ironic that despite the feelings I felt at the end of the trip that I would do the trip again in a heartbeat and expose myself to them again. I guess it is the closest I will ever get emotionally to childbirth.

      Delete
  4. Childbirth is difficult so I would not compare it to your trip. When I lived at the YWCA in Thailand, there were no hot showers. So glad I live in Hawaii where hot showers are the norm. Gigi-Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was referring towards the forgetting of the uncomfortableness and pain of childbirth that a woman must do to want to have another child.

      Delete
  5. This trip was partly retreat from the world and yet a discovering of it too. I'm glad you included the epilogue and how the experience has impacted and shaped you throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote it, the trip was nearly a decade in the rear view mirror and so I had done lots of reflecting. It is the only post of the series not mostly from a journal entry.

      Delete
  6. Also on the tipping - awkwardly, I also did not realize it was a thing. Ended up sending something along after the fact. Thankfully our guides just took whatever was handed and no-one looked. Apparently the agreed upon philosophy is that it is X% of the total trip. That said, I will tend to tip high for people keeping me alive in the wilderness...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to me. It was accepted without looking. Fortunately.

      Delete
  7. A bittersweet conclusion... (and tipping wouldn't have crossed my mind, either!) -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always tough to come back. After I had finished the AT, I was back in Pittsburgh in school. I spent the next months outside as much as possible, writing and reading doing my work, but always outside. But finally, winter came and drove me back inside. I reviewed this book in my old blog, but have you read Renny Russell's "Rock Me On the Water: A Life on the Loose"? It's written by a raft guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine the AT was life changing as well. I’ll have to look for that book.

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed reading all about this, Ed. Hope you get to return someday and see how things look with your current set of eyes. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it's hard to go back to that special memory. Things change. Our circumstances change and we just keep on moving down the river of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we must. I'm privileged to have such memories.

      Delete
  11. And tipping always has me in a quandary at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does me too, especially in this digital age when I prefer to pay with credit cards and often don't carry much cash with me anymore.

      Delete

Post a Comment