Burning Down the Farm

Back in late March, before I got sidetracked with the last series of posts, I went down to the farm to help burn the CRP (Crop Reserve Program) acres as we are required by the government in order to receive payments. Periodic burning ensures a healthy stand of native prairie grasses which is good for the land and the inhabitants of the fields and discourages weeds and trees that might otherwise takeover if left untouched. 

In the fall, a protective firebreak is disked around the perimeter of the field. On the day of the burn, we start on the downwind side of the field and start back burning to decrease any fuel and potential of the fire to hop the firebreak. We essentially light a fire a few feet from the disked firebreak and let the wind blow it toward the firebreak where it quickly burns out and we can move on. The upwind side might continue to burn slowly into the wind and increase the size of the blackened area at the end of the field.


Eventually we will both backburn along the sides of the field parallel with the direction of the wind. We pay special attention to potential hazard areas where the fire might jump any firebreak and make sure there is plenty of "black" area of no fuel to prevent that before moving on.


Eventually there is nothing left to do except to set the head fire or the fire on the upwind side of the field. The wind blows it swiftly across the field consuming all debris and hopefully getting hot enough to destroy any tree sprouts or other weeds that might shade out or otherwise compete with the native prairie grasses we are encouraging.  The device in the bottom of the photo is a drip torch which allows us to drip our fuel onto flame which then falls to the ground and ignites the grasses as we walk along. Using it allows us to really control the burn area and cover long distances quickly when needed.

Here is a head fire racing across a field from a different perspective.

After setting the head fire, the show is quickly over within seconds to a minute. All is consumed and all that is left is blackened charred remains of the debris which will add nutrients to the soil. Occasionally above, wet or green areas will get skipped but when conditions are right as they were back then, we got really good burns. Once the head fire is out, we will drive around the perimeter of the field to make sure nothing is still burning and put out any smoldering clumps in case conditions worsen later on in the day. Once we are satisfied, we load up our gear and move onto the next field. We try to burn half the fields every year so all get burned every two years as required and it isn't so hard on us if conditions are poor. This year, though pretty cold, humidity and wind conditions were great and so our burns which fairly well and after two days, we were finished until next spring.

 

Above is a brief video I took of a head fire sweeping across the field. The impressive part approaching me didn't get captured as the smoke evidently obscured my face from the phone and it wouldn't unlock until I manually typed in my code. As a result, I just got a video of the last half of the action but it gives some sense of how quickly it all goes once you light the headfire.

Comments

  1. Interesting. I do agree with you, but environmental activists are usually so anti-burn that I find it difficult to mention without getting troll trounced. I've thought, too, that burning is an excellent way to help control parasites in ruminant grazing areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we burnt more often, especially in dry areas out west, many lives and houses would be saved every year. Here we don’t have that issue but it does really help things grow better.

      Delete
  2. Good work. I wonder if any of the land that is fallow in Govt programs will be brought back into grain this year in response to the Ukrainian crisis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t heard any rumors to that effect. But as grain prices rise and contracts expire, I’m sure that will occur.

      Delete
  3. I have a healthy respect for fire, but believe it's necessary for proper crop, timber management. Back when we grew rice on a large scale, we were in some CRP programs. I would have recognized your drip torch without being told what it was. 😉 -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too especially since I have a family member that fights them out west every year and every year those same fires kill people.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating Ed. I had no idea this was still a thing.

    When I was small, I remember going with my father and Great Uncle at the Ranch for what we would call today controlled burns (effectively) of the underbrush, I assume in Winter or Spring. My Great Uncle would walk with the fire starter - I remember it as "dripping fire" - on the tar weed, then they would watch it burn and then dowse everything afterwards. Given how dry it is now, no way I would try that today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely are judicious in choosing the days to burn. I can’t imagine doing the same thing near your Ranch.

      Delete
  5. I do love watching fires, especially if they are controlled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the campfire which is much more relaxing.

      Delete
  6. I never knew about this. I wonder if it happens in the eastern part of our state. We have way too many trees to do this in most of western WA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not an expert but I’ve read a lot of trees actually do well with periodic burning of the undergrowth. But due to people building more and more houses in said trees, they can’t be regularly burned and the undergrowth builds up until they catch fire anyway and the subsequent property damage and lives lost happen.

      Delete
    2. We do burn in eastern WA! The farmers that raise grass seed burn their fields annually. A lot of farmers burn the tall grass out of the creek beds, to keep them flowing and avoid flooding. Most of that is done in the spring or very late fall.

      I will tell you, there is not much more frightening than a fire running in ripe wheat or wheat stubble! We usually have at least one field fire each harvest (we, as in the county) started by a hot exhaust pipe. Scary stuff.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for contributing to the discussion. It isn’t rare to have a field catch on fire here due to a failed bearing on a combine during fall harvest. Fortunately though it rarely goes beyond a scorched field and destroyed combine.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for that excellent explanation Ed. Now I feel all tooled up and ready to do some burning here in Yorkshire. I am sure the farmers will be grateful for my assistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn’t read your comment over he past months, I would be worried for Yorkshire farmers.

      Delete
  8. You lost me in the details (you often do as I am not a detail person) but I liked the pics and video and got the gist, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much harder to describe than to just do.

      Delete
  9. That does seem to go fast! Bravo for encouraging the native grasses. Maybe I should try this on my lawn? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn’t recommend it with Russians for neighbors that are already peeved at you for your stairway.

      Delete
  10. Fire is something that cannot be predicted or how it will spread. Never seen a drip torch before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While not entirely predictable, in situations like this it can be controlled enough to be safe… at specific times.

      Delete
  11. I have heard that forests need to be allowed to burn also to get rid of the undergrowth, etc. That all looks difficult to do, even though I understand why it's beneficial, it looks scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look scary but it can be done because my brother does it for a living with the forest service. But the more we build out in these forests, the harder it will become and the higher the consequences for a future wildfire.

      Delete

Post a Comment