Beans and Chickens

 


We made a quick trip down to our garden on Friday evening. We had gotten a lot of rain in the days before and even more was expected this past weekend so we weren't very optimistic about getting much done. We didn't. I was able to get the grassy areas mowed only getting the lawnmower stuck once. My wife hoes the beans quickly and we left for home again. As it turned out, we didn't get much rain the rest of the weekend but we were pretty busy with other aspects of life anyway. We were amazed at how quickly the beans above had climbed to the top of the fencing panels we installed at planting. I have a feeling that in a matter of a week or two, it will be nearly like a forest in our bean patch.

One of those busy aspects was that we had to go pick up our annual order of chickens. For probably a decade now, we have bought the majority of our eating chickens from a local(ish) family that raises them every year. In late winter, we fill out an order form pledging how many chickens we want them to raise for us at $X/pound and if we want them whole or cut up and do we want any of the offal. We also sign up for one of three different months that they then slaughter them.

Our time was in early June this year and so I drove to pick them up. It is about a 50 mile drive but is in the area where I grew up which is why I say local(ish). This time they were pretty big birds so I was glad I had my extra cooler with me. It filled all my coolers up with not much room to spare. I used to order whole birds and we still do order a couple every year but the bulk of our consumption starts with cutting the bird into parts. Also, we like to eat specific parts in specific dishes so really don't want to group all the parts by the bird they came on. Thus a couple years ago, we order the bulk of ours cut up by the farm family and we pay an extra fee for the processing required. But it is very nice to just show up with empty coolers where they can dump the parts into (fitting a lot more birds in a smaller space than we can with whole birds) and then when we get home, it is much easier to package them all up for our freezer. The breasts are still attached to the bone so I do some fileting of them but that is not much compared to processing an entire bird.

All the breast bones, along with the backs and necks we threw in a large pot of water and then boiled the rest of the day on our stove. The next day I took out the spent bones and bits of meat (quite bland now after all that boiling) and canned the broth for later use in our cooking. It is our first bit of preservation this year and a welcome one that we always enjoy. I also enjoy it as it doesn't take much effort to make and can the broth. We don't add any salt or veggies to our broth though I would have added veggies if we had some going bad that were handy which we didn't at this time. All that can be done on the other end anyway as needed. 




Comments

  1. My dad (the canning expert in our family growing up) would love this--particularly all that broth! Well, with the price of chicken skyrocketing for us supermarket shoppers... nice job Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aren't saving any money going this route. We paid $3.10/pound bone in this year. But there is a huge taste difference between it and store bought chicken plus it doesn't fill your pan with water when cooking. It is a luxury that we allow ourselves rather than eating out as often as most of our peers do.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a productive weekend Ed. I wonder what the differential is in chicken prices between what they were when you placed the order and what they are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know but I suspect our order next year will be higher than this year. As I mentioned above, we do pay a premium price for these chickens over what we could buy them for in the grocery store but there is a world of difference in taste. I'm one of the first who will just buy it at the supermarket if there is no taste difference such as regular carrots versus organic, but the taste difference is so big we feel it worth it especially since we are frugal in many other ways.

      Delete
  3. With current rising prices, this is so smart! We use to buy beef by the half cow. It was nice being able to decide exactly how I wanted it cut and how much fat to add to ground beef. Now that the kids are grown and I'm plant-based, it's not practical anymore. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't eat a lot of red meat either so buying a half or even a quarter of a cow is not in our future. We do buy an occasional beef meat bundle from a different local supplier but it is mostly steaks that we grill during the summer, maybe two or three times a month. We mostly consume chicken, fish and vegetables.

      Delete
  4. I would love to have a kind neighbor to share these goods with. I am such a non-cook, except I do boil the bones from the Costco rotisserie chicken and make broth. Even if it isn't as tasty as yours, it is better than the canned broth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it isn't about the taste. It just seems like a waste to throw all those meaty bones away and do nothing. Throwing them into a pot for half a day doesn't take a lot of effort nor does pouring the resulting liquid in a jar and throwing on canning lids.

      Delete
  5. I'd heard of people doing this for beef but not for chicken. What an excellent idea, especially considering the quality and freshness! You must have many wonderful chicken recipes--any favorites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My specialty is chicken teriyaki which we eat over rice.

      Delete
  6. Your beans look great. I suspect you'll have a glorious harvest.

    That's a great way to buy your chicken. I'm guessing it's more humanely raised than grocery store chicken. You get good chicken, bones for broth, and you help support a family business. All plusses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve not seen there setup but they advertise as free range.

      Delete
  7. I don't think this type of service is available in Hawaii, so we buy chicken parts from Costco. Gigi hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my experience in Hawaii, wild chickens are plentiful everywhere I went.

      Delete
  8. I do so admire all you're able to do with your garden and making your home prepared bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And your bean plants are so healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Farm raised chicken tastes so much better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment