A Yorkshire Pudding Tour

Now

Towards the end of this month, I will be setting forth with my family to take a much earned vacation and to visit two states, that have thus far alluded me. When I return, I will be two states (Alaska and Rhode Island) short of having set foot in each outside of airports. The two that we are heading for this time are Oregon and Washington.

I have an ulterior motive though in this visit, namely to visit the site in these pictures as well as some other sites that I will leave unmentioned for now. The house below is the home of my 2nd great granduncle, brother to my 2nd great grandfather. The only picture I have ever seen of the house is the one below with my 2nd great granduncle, wife and child standing on the porch. But taking a cue from Yorkshire Pudding, I took a little trip using Google Street Maps and saw what it looks like in more modern times. It is a pale shade of the splendor it was 130 years ago but many of the architectural details are still present.

I've been cruising up and down the streets virtually, checking out the places that my 2nd great granduncle owned and planning my visit in real life. I just wish Yorkshire Pudding had access to a virtual tour of things 130 years ago.

Then

Why am I going over halfway across this country to visit an area that isn't even a direct descendent but a brother to my direct ancestral lineage? I guess part of it is because it is the line in my family tree that I know the best and have written about the most over the years. I have lots of pictures, stories, etc. and so I feel as if I really knew these people quite well. Another part, is my 2nd great granduncle is the son of the nearest brick wall in my family tree. I know his mother and the country where she was born but have no idea of whom her parents were or when she immigrated to the U.S. Perhaps this might be an opportunity to get a lead for breaking through that brick wall. Finally, his son left behind something that I have been wanting to see very badly since I discovered it's existence well over a decade ago. I hate to do this, but I wish for it to be somewhat of a secret until I return and so you can read about it in a future post. 

You can blame Yorkshire Pudding whose google street tours caused me to take this one ahead of my trip so I know what to look for and expect when I get there.





Comments

  1. Ed it sounds like an interesting trip ahead--I'm looking forward to seeing more pics like the ones above, what a difference a century makes! So what's a Yorkshire Pudding Tour? I must've missed something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding has a blog that I read and he often uses Google Streetview to tour a town he has never visited before and blog about it. I am essentially doing the same thing before I plan to visit in person.

      Delete
  2. Like you, my brother's final two states to visit were on opposite sides of the country (South Carolina and Oregon). All they lack now is Oregon. I'm way behind. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two birds: visit a new a scenic region and do a little genealogical sleuthing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very cool, Ed. And Oregon and Washington are beautiful places. I have never been but I have a friend who moved there. Lucky for me, he is a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get a photograph or two while I'm there.

      Delete
  5. Oregon and Washington! I know those places well. I hope our weather will cooperate for you. Feel free to contact me if you're in my area. (or need anything)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won't be that far north but if things change, I'll drop you a line.

      Delete
    2. The Oregon Coast (Hwy 101) is incredible and worth a trip. You won't see much of note in Southern WA unfortunately, but amazing places like the Ho Rainforest, Deception Pass, Olympic National Park or Mt. Rainier are farther north.

      Delete
    3. Nothing of note in southern WA?? I beg to differ... But then, I live here, so maybe I'm biased. It's beautiful country. Hope you have a good trip, Ed. Looking forward to reading about it when you get back.

      Delete
    4. We hope to spend a day in southern Washington near a place that was in the news a lot in 1980. I'm guessing you know where that is.

      Delete
    5. Indeed I do! I was a freshman in high school then. There's a really good visitor center, and I think you can hike there, too.

      Delete
  6. Yay, a mystery! I have spent time in both states; quite enjoyable. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Google Street View is amazing, isn't it? I love being able to visit random towns (whether I'm ancestrally connected to them or not) and see what they look like. It's a shame that diamond-shaped upstairs window was taken out of your great-great uncle's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have spent many an hour touring places I will most likely see no other way.

      Yes, the square window was an unfortunate change in my opinion too. Other than that and some front porch work, all it needed was some paint to take it back 130 years.

      Delete
  8. You are the best sleuth that I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must live a sheltered life as I’m sure there are better than I. I am persistent though.

      Delete
  9. Fame at last! My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in Washington State in 2014. It was not enough time. A couple of months would have been much better. We also visited Portland, Oregon - a pretty edgy city in spite of the wonderful rose gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting for your comment and finally found it... in my spam folder. I don't understand google. Anyway, I'm excited which is why I have been spending time out there already via google streetview, thanks to you!

      Delete
  10. Enjoy your trip, Ed. Oregon and Washington are our neighbors and have plenty of beautiful things to offer. Look forward to hearing out it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an excellent reason to choose a trip destination! I hope it will be a fruitful one too, with lots of new clues to fill in your genealogical puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not expecting any new clues so hopefully will be pleasantly surprised.

      Delete

Post a Comment