Volunteers Needed

 It all started when my wife came home from work one evening saying there was a clicking noise in her vehicle. I hopped in and backed up maybe ten feet out of the garage and knew what was making the noise. I knew this because I noticed that air pressure indicator was illuminated on the dash and the clicking occurred once every revolution of the tire. I quickly confirmed there was a screw head protruding from her tire and can't believe she drove all the way home on it. But fortunately, the sidewalls were pretty stiff and her vehicle is light and so nothing was damaged. 

The next day I dropped off the vehicle to get the tire fixed new tires put on all the way around since those tires were near the end of their life expectancy anyway. While that was happening, I walked across the street to a little coffee shot intending to read my book there for awhile until the work was completed. Instead I ran into a neighbor (and friend) who was meeting up there with someone else for breakfast before they were going to haul some books over to the local convention center and sort for an upcoming book fair. In quick order, I was asked and volunteered to help out in the sorting. 

Now three weeks later, the event is upon us and they again needed help hauling some 1600 boxes of books from the top floor of the convention center to the ground floor where an army of ladies were there arranging them on tables stretching nearly 100 feet long. I wasn't busy that particular day and so again, volunteered to help cart down boxes of books but it wasn't without its moments.

1. One of the other male volunteers, one of about eight, had such bad body odor, that the first time I ended up riding down the elevator with him, my eyes were watering. Another time he got off the elevator as I was entering to go back for another load, and the odor was so strong in the elevator I started gagging. After that, I did everything I could to time my loads so I wasn't anywhere near him. 

2. One elderly gentleman helping to cart down books took so long to exit the elevator, (the door would only remain open for maybe 10 seconds before closing) that it would close and go up to the top floor before he could get far enough out of the way for someone to press the button again. Whenever he made a trip up or down the elevator, it created a que of people behind him because of the missed opportunity and it would take another 2 or 3 cycles to get caught back up.

3. On my first trip, one helpful lady told me to put the boxes of books on top of the tables in the appropriate section so that the sorters could just pull books out and organize them without having to lift the heavy books. For two hours this method worked well. Then a late comer showed up and chastised me for putting the boxes of books on the table because they had to lift them off the table to make room for them and then lift them back onto the table again. It created twice as much work. I thought about going into the finer points of physics and elevation changes of weight and that she was tripling the amount of work needed to get the books from point A to point B but bit my tongue. 

4. One of the other cart operating volunteers insisted on stacking his cart with huge loads of boxes full of books and then parking it in front of the elevator doors waiting for the doors to open. Inevitably, there was always someone coming up from the ground floor with an empty cart to get another load who would find that when the doors open, their way was blocked. Every single time the first man with the overloaded cart would struggle to back his cart up far enough to allow the others to get out of the elevator and then couldn't get his cart back into the elevator before the doors closed. Thus would follow a minute or more of him jumping back and forth trying to keep the doors open while heaving his overloaded cart into the elevator. This too backed up other carts on both ends of the elevator travel. I also could average two trips to every one of his by not overfilling the cart and thus out carry him with a much smaller cart. 

5. The elevator has a sensor issue on the outer door on the ground floor. For some reason, 50% of the time the outer door wouldn't slide shut all the way, thus tripping the sensor and allowing the elevator to ascend to the top floor. It could be solved as long as those on the ground floor just applied a little pressure to the door to help it close all the way. But after the umpteenth time of having to take the stairs down to the first floor, nudge the outer door shut so that I could push the button, ride the elevator up to the top floor to retrieve my full cart and ride it back down to the ground floor again, only to remember to nudge the outer door shut so the person following me wouldn't have the same issue, I had enough and made some excuse so I could go home and leave the volunteering to others with more patience than I have. 

Comments

  1. Ha-ha! Funny how seemingly straightforward jobs can go pear-shaped! It would have been a great act of kindness if you had taken time out to buy some basic bathroom products for the man with the terrible body odour - such as soap and a massive canister of "Smell Nice" deodorant spray. I am sure he would have been most grateful.
    P.S. I hope your beloved wife has learnt a useful life lesson about tyre pressure indicators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always struggle with decisions like that. Is it a bigger insult to point out the BO problem or to let them continue to go about life not knowing they smell horrible. I usually opt to just avoid them altogether which is what I did in this case.

      Delete
  2. Good grief! First of all--1600 boxes??!! When I finished this and went back to the top to read over, I realized you said boxes not books. Well, loved the part with the guy blocking the elevator doors haha--the part about the bad smelling guy not so much! 20 years ago I worked 3-4 months with a computer guy on a work visa here from Russia and it almost drove me to homicide! Anyway Ed... I think you did your share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently not. Two days later I went back to help finish moving those boxes that were left after the first two days but fortunately Mr. BO wasn't back again which made it much more "refreshing" to do. We finished up in about thirty minutes and then I helped uncrate about 30 boxes of children's books and arrange on the tables. Big mistake. Children's books takes ten times longer as they are all different shapes, sizes and thicknesses, many so floppy and slick (I presume to make them easier to clean sticky finger residue from) that they just want to tip over or slide completely off the table.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Well I guess when working in a volunteer situation like this, you have to put up with a lot of problems. (or not, since you're only a volunteer and don't have to be there!) -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly exposes me to people I probably wouldn't normally be around.

      Delete
  4. You certainly had your ups and downs with that elevator. Or come to think of it, maybe you didn’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice pun! After our problems on day one, we left detailed instructions on what was causing the issue for the elevator repair man who was supposed to come later that afternoon. Two days later when I returned to help finish the job, the elevator was still having the same issue.

      Delete
    2. Volunteer activities are always adventures as you have people who think they know it all and people who know nothing...not even how to run the elevator.

      Delete
    3. As a volunteer, I usually pretend to know nothing until asked.

      Delete
  5. Ah, working with people and dealing with their assortment of issues (mental and physical)--I used to be very good at it when I taught. My patience is thin these days too so I admire you for sticking it out as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I’ve been to sheltered to humanity these last couple years and thus it took me by surprise.

      Delete
  6. Jeepers! This sounds like material for writing a Three Stooges episode. Surely that building had a freight elevator somewhere. Too bad about Mr. BO. It's usually a medical condition or incontinence that the owner of the body can't smell anymore, so he doesn't know he's posing a problem. He probably lives by himself. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The freight elevator was the only elevator as everything is on the first floor except for the upstairs storage room where the books were. From what I overheard from a distance, Mr BO had been down on his luck and moved back to this part of Iowa to save money… and wasn’t married. Good call on the lack of smell. You are probably right and I probably should have mentioned something.

      Delete
  7. If I was a volunteer, I would be the elevator lady and just push buttons. Not sure how I would handle the man with BO, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment