Finding a Mushroom Machine

 

With a full day forecasted to be without rain and perhaps a bit of sunshine, I drove back down to the farm for another round of morel mushroom hunting. I checked underneath the tree where I found the bulk of the morels earlier in the week but none had returned. So I decided to walk back to another part of the farm I hadn't checked during my previous trip and that is where I found a mushroom machine.

For those of you new to my blog, a mushroom machine is a recently dead elm tree under which morel mushrooms will grow in great abundance. In fact, all those mushroom above were all found under the same tree. Mature elms were and still are decimated by the Dutch Elm Disease, a fungal infection spread by beetles and root grafting. But the elm trees can reach an age where they can propagate before become infected and so there is a continual source of new elm trees growing up and quickly dying again before they even reach their middle teens. After their death, the elm trees secret something that spurs morel growth in some sort of symbiotic relationship. I stood underneath enough dead elm trees to know this is true though I don't understand fully they why. You can find morels under other trees as well. I've found them under living silver maple trees and a few other species, but if I find a bunch of them, it will be under a dead elm tree, aka a mushroom machine. 

Blogger Steve asked a couple questions that I thought I would address here for the benefit of others who might have missed his question. The first has to do with propagation of morels. With gray morels, I find the bulk of them under recently dead elm trees where they will pop up mainly in the first spring after it dies and perhaps a spring or two afterwards. After that, they will disappear again never to be found in that spot. So since they are just passing by or just remain spores until a elm tree dies, I don't worry so much about them. Yellow morels found later in the season however can grow more sporadically and not necessarily under a tree. When I was young, we used to carry bread sacks to pick morels but then we heard that it might cause them to disappear because we don't leave any behind to "go to seed" so to speak. We then switched to mesh bags presumably to allow spores drift out over the ground as we walk around looking for more. Does this help? I don't really know I guess. Over the years we've had some really good morel harvests in certain areas of the farm only to have a long dry spell where we won't find many yellow morels. It might be from over picking or it might just be that whatever triggering mechanism for them to grow is cyclic and depends on something we just don't fully understand. We take precautions by leaving dried out yellow morels behind to do their thing. Morels will pop out of the ground and after two or three days will become quickly dried out so we leave a fair share behind. Morels are also very difficult to spot so we also miss probably a large number of them too. In summary, I've never not found any morels when the conditions were right as they are this year so my bet is that the weather is more important than any propagation or lack of propagation that occurs due to our consumption of these delicacies.

Another question Steve asked was how morels work. For most of my life, I haven't really known. It was always just understood that whatever causes them to work only works out in the wild. But recently there I am reading more articles of people who have successfully bred them in captivity. I haven't tried it myself but they generally involve harvesting the spores and spreading them in the appropriate material outside. Part of me would like to try it at some point but the bigger part of me likes things as is. I generally find enough to itch that need that occurs every spring and enjoy the hunt which brings me to parts of the farm I wouldn't normally walk through. If I had them growing by the bucket full out my back door, they wouldn't taste nearly as good and I'm sure I would take them for granted.

I've still found only gray morels (one perhaps was a yellow but was hard to tell for sure) so that means that yellows should start popping up soon. We've got the moisture right now but just need a few nice sunny warm days in the 70's to get them popping. They are much bigger than gray morels but don't have nearly the intense flavor. However, if I don't find a one this season, I'm still a happy man as gray morels are my favorite and I've had the best season in perhaps decades for finding them.



Comments

  1. Ed, loved that photo at the top! I am actually a little familiar with this delicacy as I follow a couple on YouTube (Elsa Rhae and Bannon) who live in the wild in Colorado, and plan days just searching for these. Looks like you hit the Mother Lode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely starting out to be a great year! Thus farm I have spent three mornings and driven 240 miles for those mushrooms. Definitely worth it.

      Delete
  2. That's a nice haul of morels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better than I've done in a long time, especially for gray morels.

      Delete
  3. You have probably mentioned this before but how far is the old family farm from your current abode? Finding all those morel mushrooms must have been like finding treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about an 80 miles round trip. It certainly isn't as close as I would like but I do have the mushrooms all to myself.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for answering my questions about morel propagation! It sounds like you leave plenty behind to spread their spores. They sure wouldn't win a beauty contest, so I'm glad they taste good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great thing they taste good or they would be pretty lonely fungi!

      Delete
  5. Nicely done, Ed. That is quite the collection. Mushroom hunting is a big thing here in Idaho. We just got told that we have the Death Cap mushroom growing in our area and as the name suggests, it is not a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, we don't have any poisonous mushrooms that look anywhere near like morels in our area so I feel pretty safe hunting them. Beyond that, I leave them be.

      Delete
  6. I'm pleased for you that it's been a great morel year so far. I hope it's a good yellow season for you, too. I presume we have morels around here, but I've never seen one (nor actively looked for any). I sure see my share of other mushrooms, though. Many varieties! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am elated to be having a great year for a change. It has been awhile in coming.

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of morels! I love how mysterious they are about how and where they pop up. Does the rest of your family like them or are they all yours? Do you eat them in things, by themselves or both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if my brother eats them but other than that, the rest of the family enjoyed them. Currently, as long as my dad and brother are away, they are all mine, especially since they only last a week or so after picking. But if they are around, I would split them.

      Mainly we just lightly bread them and fry them as an appetizer. But if we have a bountiful year, I have used them in other dishes, like scrambled eggs in the morning or perhaps a mushroom and cheese lasagna. We'll probably eat those that I found in this post over three evenings so they will probably just be fried. But if I find a bunch more, especially the yellow ones, I will probably start getting creative to use them up. I also tend to start giving them away to older people who enjoy them but aren't physically able to hunt anymore.

      Delete
  8. So what is really the morel of the story? Pick less, or distribute the spores more?

    (No charge for the Dad joke. Just another service I offer...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve had several dad themed morel joke t-shirts over the years, my favorite being that “I have no morels.”

      Delete
  9. Ed, that's interesting about morels. Maybe I've never found them because we don't seem to have elm trees on our property. And come to think of it, I've never seen the spores for sale like other edible mushrooms, so you've explained that too. I've tried to grow oyster, winecap, and shitake mushrooms from purchased spores, but without success. Mushrooms are such a wonderful food, however. It would be great to have a good non-grocery-store source for them. I'm glad you've had a good year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve heard that down south, tulip poplars are the elm equivalent.

      Delete

Post a Comment