Day Fifteen: Above Lava Falls

 

Devil's Anvil

Today was a beautiful day with lots of sun, by far the hottest day of the trip so far. I wondered what it was like on the outside of the canyon walls in that "other world," I once knew. Despite the long hike to Mooney Falls yesterday, I woke up early even by my standards and couldn't fall back asleep. I "inch wormed" my way over to a nearby rock in my sleeping bag and watched the sky transform itself into all shades of red, pink and yellow. I would have taken a picture if I could have reached my camera from the comfort of my sleeping bag but I couldn't and so I didn't. Eventually the cooks awoke and began rustling down in the kitchen area so I packed up my gear and moseyed on down to talk with them as a breakfast of cherry French toast with strawberry yogurt was prepared.

Perhaps it was the campsite, the air, or the knowledge of what was in store for the day but everyone seemed to get an early start today, even the wandering couple we picked up at Phantom Ranch and we were on the water in record time. For twenty-one miles, we mostly floated on the calm water with the occasional small riffle broken only by a lunch stop at National Canyon. We ate some pasta salad and other munchies and also did a short hike. Too quickly we passed the Devil's Anvil, a chunk of black lava rock notorious for what it represents and heard a white noise in the distance that too quickly turned into a pulsing roar. We eddied out on river left and hiked downstream to finally behold the monstrosity blocking our downstream progress.

Every single one of my internal organs ran down into the vicinity of my small toe, including my stomach which was the size and consistency of a peach pit. Twenty-foot waves churned, crashed, sucked, boiled and ground past me from one drop to another as I stood on shore watching. The roar was deafening. This was the biggest rapid on the Colorado River. This was the famous Lava Falls, a place notorious for spinning and flipping rafts twice the size of wooden door boats, like toys. 

My oars person for the day was Ote, the very petite wife of the company owner in her 60's, and the muscle of the sixteen-foot fragile wooden dory that myself and three others were about to cast off into Lava's fury. She was probably one hundred pounds fully dressed and dripping wet and try as I might, I couldn't imagine her maneuvering a half-ton of boat, passengers and gear through that maelstrom of water. There just wasn't any way. So here I was looking at the white froth they were calling a rapid, thinking it looked more like a killer, and silently contemplating how quick death would come to me and whether it would come by drowning or being smashed into the rocks. The only thing that I was certain about was that my death was imminent.

When I couldn't stand it anymore, I decided to walk back to where the boats were tied up river where I wouldn't have to contemplate my death. On the way I met trip leader Bronco heading back the way I had come and he asked if I was ready to go down. I put on a big smile and lied, "I can't wait!" Bronco replied, "Great, because your boat is going down first." I think my stomach squirted out from my toenail at that point.

Lava Falls (Never looks big in pictures but YouTube has some great videos)

Comments

  1. i am guessing that you made it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is pretty good odds that you are correct!

      Delete
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXX9TADD1E Okay. Just for the record, this does not look fun.

      Delete
    3. There is a huge hydraulic water hole at the top called the ledge hole that is the main boat flipper. After that it is mostly big waves.

      Delete
  2. I don't know that I could have forced myself to get into that boat! But as John said, you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks big enough in your photo to deter me. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really needed a boat in it for scale. I have some pictures of a raft in it from below but it takes a dose of imagination to believe that it was just an errant yellow pixel.

      Delete
  4. I hope you swished out your toenail before entering the boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would have been best had I done away with my stomach, but I kept it for some reason.

      Delete
  5. I often find the anticipation of the event to be far more stressful than the actual event itself. Hopefully that was the case for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! After we ran Lava, my mind was free to worry about other things besides flipping.

      Delete
  6. Way to go, Ed! You are going to inspire to do something adventurous one day I swear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment