Day Eleven: A Fine Day

 

(For some unexplained reason, the photos that accompanied the original posts have been lost to time.)


I woke up in the middle of the night for the first time and watched the moon set over a downstream rim. The sky was clear and shone brilliantly with starlight even with the absence of the torch-like moon. When I woke up a second time, clouds had moved in enshrouding the inner canyon and would stay with us until mid-morning before dissolving away. As a treat for the cook and her assistant, Bronco cooked breakfast this morning to let them sleep in and for a half hour, it was just the two of us. With the heavy clouding, people slept in and after they finally gathered in the kitchen area, we ate a breakfast of French toast served with an apple/raisin sauce and bacon.

After we got packed up and shoved off, I almost immediately saw a coyote scrambling for cover in the rocks overhead. They are definitely a hardy animal to be found way down here at the bottom of the canyon. We pushed through Forster, Fossil, Specter and Bedrock Rapids, all of which had large waves. We did hop out and quickly scout Bedrock but ran it without difficulty. The last rapid of the half-day on the river was Duebendorf Rapid and it was a dandy. We pulled into the eddy below at Stone Creek and after a lunch of pita sandwiches, hiked up the creek.

Although it had obviously been scoured clean in a flash flood several years ago, there were many waterfalls and Anasazi ruins left behind. At one point, there is an old Anasazi ruin with a door still sealed, something that may not exist anywhere else. Whether it is a forgotten granary or perhaps a burial chamber, our guides didn't know and forbade us from walking up to it. Although it is visible with the naked eye, unless you knew what you were looking at and where, it can only be seen by binoculars. It is that well disguised and I was content to see it through the binoculars and use my imagination as to its contents.

At the very end of Stone Creek was a beautiful slot canyon with a thirty feet tall waterfall. Nick, Lee and I hunkered down in the icebox coolness of the shade and just waited out the heat of the day. We were wonderfully successful and by the time I got back to camp, supper was underway. We had turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, dressing and a salad. Eleven days out with no supplies brought in and we are still eating like kings. I'm glad I've been doing a lot of hiking or I surely would have put on several pounds by now.

I must say that the pre-dinner entertainment before supper was particularly good today. Our campsite was fairly open and little in the way of hiding behind for those who decided to bathe tonight which seemed to be a few of the younger women among the crew. For privacy sake, I kept my eyes averted as much as possible but I wouldn't be a red-blooded man if I didn't sneak a few long peeks now and then. In a land full of sharp rocks, prickly cactus and stinging scorpions, their well toned, tanned and now wet bodies certainly fell softly on the eyes.

Just as dinner was finishing up, the moon rose from behind the upstream rim of Stone Creek. The usual crowd sat around a fire and told stories well into the night while passing around some of the German's apparently limitless supply of brandy. Why would anyone else want to do anything else with their life but repeat this day over and over?

Comments

  1. Even before you mentioned the food specifically, I was going to mention it. You did eat well. It’s quite remarkable..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of that is thanks to the coldness of the river. Since there is a major dam upstream, the water released at it's base is in the low 40s F. With large coolers placed on the floor of the baggage raft constantly chilled from the cold water flowing underneath, it kept things fresh quite well.

      Delete
  2. Will you listen to the voice of experience? Sneaking a few long peeks at bathing beauties cavorting in the water is made much easier by simply donning a pair of sunglasses. Then with your eyes apparently averted you can stare in a sidelong manner as long as you need to. You could even pretend to be reading a book - possibly "The River of Lust" by Janice McGuire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sunglasses would have made it much easier!

      Delete
  3. I can't remember if you've shown any food photos. Did people even take photos like that back then? (other than culinary magazine photographers) -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back then it was 35mm film with no preview of the picture you just snapped so I didn't waste any on food. Now, it would be a much different story.

      Delete
  4. I've remarked on the food too. Eating so well and abundantly plus all the exercise is a perfect combo for health, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, when spending all day outdoors, I find food just tastes better too.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had anything to say about this long excursion of yours from years past Ed--but I couldn't help enjoying Day 11's view of bathed bodies falling softly on the eyes! I think I read that part 3 times :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a poet back then! Now, I probably would have edited that part out of my journal due to being married.

      Delete
    2. I don't care if bodies fall softly on Tim's eyes, but I'd be pretty upset if they fell anywhere else.

      Delete

Post a Comment