A Morel Miracle

Long time readers will remember that I have a particular disease called morel madness. It occurs every spring when the temperatures warm up and there is moisture in the ground. It causes me, and hundreds of others in the area also inflicted with the madness, to park our vehicles alongside roads and wander aimlessly in the woods. Really long time readers will remember that I've been in kind of a drought in recent years where I have been unable to effectively cure the madness by finding and consuming morels. Between the cold and lack of moisture during the only two or three weeks a year they grow, I have barely found enough for a taste. So this year with plenty of moisture in the ground and the weather finally getting up to what I judged a warm enough point, I drove south to the farm, parked my car along the road and wandered into the woods.

I wandered the woods for well over an hour without seeing nary a morel mushroom and started feeling sorry for myself. I blamed my poor eyesight, years of picking from the same wooded draws, etc. for my failure. Then, for some reason I decided to start talking to my mom who passed away three and a half years ago. I simply said that I missed mushroom hunting with her. I didn't get any direct response nor was I expecting too. There were no claps of lightening, peels of thunder or burning bushes. But when I looked down at the ground, I saw that all around my boots were gray morel mushrooms, my favorite kind. I quickly thanked my mom and proceeded to pick them.

As you can see below, I ended up finding a sizeable mess of gray morels and one lone yellow morel though it is hard to distinguish in the photo. It is up near the top of all the mushrooms with the stem touching the antler and is bigger than all the rest. Yellow mushrooms, while typically bigger than their gray cousins, don't have as intense nutty/earthy flavor that makes the gray morels my favorite. 

As you can see, I also found a matched pair of eight point deer antlers. I don't find those very often as the rodents will eat them before I stumble across them. When a deer naturally sheds them, they can be in random places and are often covered up with leaf litter and hard to spot. However, these weren't natural sheds, i.e. the deer didn't scrape them off on a tree this spring. I'll explain below but if you are squeamish, proceed with caution.

 

I normally post pictures of animal homicides I find in the woods during this time of year when I'm trying to find a cure for my morel madness. Other times of the year there are just too many ticks to venture into the woods looking for animal homicides and morels don't grow then anyway. But this time I found a much more recent death. I'm not a animal death investigator by any means so I don't know how long it has been there but my guess would be early last winter. That is when our deer hunting season is and I'm guessing somebody shot this one and couldn't find it. It was wounded enough that it went ahead and eventually died where it did and has since been mostly consumed except for the hide. Or possibly it died from some random sickness since then but I would guess that more unlikely. I do know I would have seen it last spring when looking for mushrooms so it was less than a year old.

The antlers were still attached firmly so that also leads me to believe that it died earlier on in winter. I found a big stick and with a couple whacks, separated the antlers from the skull. No sense giving the mice all the fun and besides, I might turn them into something. Years ago, I used to make fountain pens out of deer antlers so I might do that with them at some point. My razor handle is also made from deer antler that I turned on a mini lathe. But for now, they will just remain in my garage with a few more antlers I have collected and gather dust.



Comments

  1. Morel mushrooms are weird looking! I don't think we have them over here. They look like walnuts on stumps. I am rather surprised that you didn't take some of the deer hide to make a nice winter hat for Mrs Riverbend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I have limits on what I will bring home.

      Delete
  2. Ed, I am completely going with the logical answer, which is God heard you and your mother chimed in.

    Nice find on the antlers. We find them occasionally, but not nearly in such good shape. Then again, there is no hunting up in our neck of the woods so such a death is much more rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents have a pretty sizeable pile of deer antlers that they have found over the years, many embedded in tires of farm equipment. But since I don't spend nearly the time they did on the farm, my pile is a lot smaller.

      Delete
  3. I don’t know morels, but I do know that your sleuthing has helped me to comment from my ipad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear your ipad is working again. I do enjoy using mine to comment without having to make the trip downstairs to the office.

      According to maps, they can be found in your neck of the woods. I have searched for them occasionally in distant areas but have never found them. I assume it is because I am just so used to the conditions and timing required and I don't spend enough time somewhere else to develop that knowledge.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on finally getting some morels! Our grandson and several of his friends have found loads of them on this 43 acres we live on. It's a mushroom heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now we have the moisture but just not the soil temperature for a great season. But it would just take a nice sunny day to change that so there is still some hope.

      Delete
  5. Yay for the morels!! You know I don't eat any kind of mushroom, but I know you LOVE them, especially these. Do y'all have CWD (chronic wasting disease) in the deer population there? I think Arkansas just had its first case this past year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly - I don't know if CWD is prevalent this year or not but it has been around. Several years ago it was pretty bad around here and killed lots of deer but we are so overpopulated that it really didn't make a dent in the population.

      Delete
  6. Sorry.... that was me (Kelly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have guessed it was you even without the reminder!

      Delete
  7. I love mushrooms but have never had morels although they do grow around here. My ex boyfriend used to hunt them in the woods with his brother. Poor deer! I'm glad that you'll use the antlers for something and that other creatures have benefited from the death. Such is the cycle of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morels have an nuttier and earthier flavor profile than other mushrooms. Kind of like a mushroom on steroids. Around here, they sell for around $50 a pound fresh picked.

      Delete
  8. Never knew about this mushroom till now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure there are Indian mushrooms that I have never heard of either!

      Delete
  9. Ed, your morel posts are an annual tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read an article about people who hunt antlers in the woods -- apparently they're quite valuable. I think it was in The New Yorker. I don't think I've ever tasted a morel. Did you leave some behind so they can reproduce for future crops? Is that how morels work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose antlers are valuable to those without a source for them but around here there isn’t much of a market due to their abundance.

      I’ve heard morels propagate by releasing spores. However the gray morels that I’m finding now will only grow for a couple years under the right tree and conditions and then disappear forever. Yellow morels however grow fairly randomly and so I make sure to leave any dried ones behind and carry them in a mesh bag so hopefully the spores can escape as I wander the woods.

      Delete

Post a Comment