Strawberry Fields Forever... Eventually

 


My wife's father always grew strawberries and they lived in the strawberry capital of the Philippines so I suppose it shouldn't surprise anyone. When my wife and I decided to undertake the farm garden venture, one of her dreams was to eventually start a strawberry bed. So last year, I made two raised beds over on berry hill and she planted them with strawberries. But my wife is a tightwad and bought the cheapest, roughest looking strawberry plants she could find at the time, which back then had been picked through for weeks, and planted them. Less than a handful of them even survived until summer. 

So this season she wanted to try again but in one of the main gardens. This time she went earlier and bought better quality strawberry starts, still complaining about the price, and then they have sat on our deck, in the greenhouse, or inside the main house ever since. This is because of cold, wet, and way below freezing temperatures we have had over the first several weeks of April. We took them down to the farm on our last visit but it was way too wet to tromp around and plant them and so we brought them back again, which turned out to be fortunate due to two nights in the mid 20's. 

Things are warming up and we've had nary a drop of rain for the last seven days but more rain was forecasted towards the end of the week and we have other plans this weekend and so I made a solo trip down to the farm to make a new bed per my wife's specifications and to get them planted for better or worse. I've never planted strawberries with weed control in mind but since we can only get down there once a week, we are giving this setup a try. I tucked in the edges well and put lots of staples in it to hopefully protect it from the wind. All the while, humming the Beatles tune, Strawberry Fields Forever.

Comments

  1. I never equated strawberries with the Philippines, you learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did either until I started traveling there.

      Delete
    2. I remember that you have visited the north west of England. Did you see Strawberry Fields in Liverpool? It was a children's home not far from Aunt Mimi's house. She was the sister of John Lennon's mother Julia but effectively it was Mimi Smith who raised him.

      Good luck with the strawberry bed!

      Delete
    3. I have, along with Penny Lane, The Cavern Club and other sites on the Beatles tour that I took while in Liverpool.

      Delete
  2. The strawberry plants I bought from a seller on Ebay last year look pretty good. They are just now showing signs of blooming before long. I'm hoping for strawberries this year! It was hard for me to pick blooms off the plants last year, but that's what I was supposed to do in order for the plants to strengthen, so I did it. It's been a long wait, and I am not a patient person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was young, my mom had some strawberry beds and I always remember how good that first strawberry shortcake of the season was and the strawberry jam we had all winter long. I never realized how much went into starting a strawberry bed though.

      Delete
  3. When I was a child, we grew strawberries in a big barrel that had "holes" all around the sides. I love strawberries. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting and not something I have seen before. How many strawberries could you get from one barrel?

      Delete
    2. It’s been so many years ago, I don’t remember. I’ll have to see if I can find an example of one to share with you.

      Delete
  4. It doesn't sound like your wife is a spendthrift from how you describe her. Many strawberries around here--but not until June. Hope that this latest crop of plants survives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never accused my wife of lavish spending that is for sure. She can shop all day long and spend less than $100. I can walk into a single store and if Im in there longer than an hour, it will most certainly cost more than that.

      Delete
    2. You referred to her as a spendthrift though which is someone who spends lavishly and indiscriminately. Did you mean tightwad instead? :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you Mrs. Grammar, I did indeed use the wrong word and meant tightwad. I shall correct it above. I'm not sure how I grew up not knowing that the word spendthrift means the opposite of what I thought it did.

      Delete
  5. I look forward to strawberry season every year, which, synchronistically, occurs around Wimbledon we we also watch. A stand goes up just around the corner which sells strawberries from a very nearby field. Blogger doesn't like my synchronistically but a search assures me that it is a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger didn't correct me with my incorrect use of spendthrift either!

      A town not too far from where I grew up has a strawberry festival every year and I've gone to it a number of times over the years. It never really had much meaning to me and I've always assumed that the strawberries I consumed were not local.

      Delete
  6. Blogger still won't let me sign in to comment. :( I hope those strawberries do well. I don't find them easy to grow, but they are such a favorite that they are worth it. I agree with your wife about cost, but if these establish themselves, next year you can propagate more yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be the first time I’ve tried growing them.

      Delete

Post a Comment