The Food Addition... Also In Reverse

 


My wife and I are most definitely foodies and so whenever in new places, we like to seek unique places to eat at. On our final evening, we ate at a place called Mad Eats in the suburbs of Tulsa where our motel was and we were not disappointed with the food. The service lacked something to be desired as our appetizer arrived then minutes after our entrees. Above are the tuna poke tostadas with avocado mash my wife ate. (As well as posting in reverse order, Blogger decided to rotate this one and the one below to boot.)


I had the grilled chicken chimi with pico de gallo and cilantro lime crema. 


My girls who weren't hungry yet when we entered the place downed their typical fried chicken tender dish as well as a monster sized shake called "The Loot" that had white cake, fruity pebbles and lots of sprinkles and marshmallow. 


With the kids safely ensconced in the motel with a bag of Chick-fil-a, my wife and I had a nice five course dinner date night as a farm to table placed called Juniper. As we always experience with similar places, the food was fantastic. Above was the dessert course, which was a chocolate pie with oreo crust, dark chocolate mousse, chocolate streusel, chocolate ganache and chocolate whipped cream. As you might expect, it was very chocolatey. 


For the entrée we had a grilled beef tenderloin with roasted mushrooms and herbed potato fries with a veal demi-glace.


The soup course was an autumn risotto with fall squash, root vegetables, pecans and carrot sauce. We both thought this was our favorite course of the evening.


The apple and farro salad had walnuts, kale, goat cheese and a cider vinaigrette. 


The appetizer was whipped goat cheese, honey, salami on crostini. 


Because we made reservations for four o'clock on a Thursday, we had the entire place to ourselves so had excellent service. My water glass was topped off well over a dozen times during the course of our dinner even though I probably drank just two glasses full.


Prior to that, our previous evening meal was at sushi place, the name of which I have forgotten. It was pretty decent sushi and again, blogger decided to rotate this picture for me.


The prior evening we ate at a really nice seafood place where my wife got some raw oysters to eat. Normally I would help her out but I was too full to eat any this time.


My wife's dinner was a shrimp boil in a bag.


I had catfish creole which satisfied my spicy itch and was absolutely delicious.


On the day we headed to Dallas to see family, we stopped for brunch at another farm to table restaurant, (the first on this trip had things been posted in their correct order,) at a native American restaurant called 39 in Oklahoma City, named after the 39 indigenous tribes of Oklahoma. Above my wife got corn pancakes while below, I got corn biscuits and bison gravy. I have never had corn biscuits or pancakes but both were probably the best I've ever eaten. 



While on vacation, we tend to eat early to avoid crowds and so we were the only ones in the restaurant for much of our meal. 


Finally, or the first place we ate out on our vacation, we did so by chance. We actually stopped to see the funky art place across the street but due to Covid restrictions, had to kill around 90 minutes before we were allowed into the building. So we walked across the street to this burger joint, home of the Fatty burger. Wanting to see all the hoopla but not being terribly hungry, I ordered the slider version of the Fatty which is advertised as a 3 oz. beef patty on a Kaiser bun with American cheese, pickles and grilled onions. It sounds pretty ordinary but the flavor on that thing made it the best burger I've ever had in my life. Their spicing game is on point! My only regret was that I hadn't been hungry enough to order the full sized Fatty. 

Comments

  1. That 5 course meal looked out of this world!! Ed I think I've looked at your pictures about 6-7 times now. BTW, your food photos rival those I see in gourmet magazines, great job. Wish we could've seen "The Fatty", but you shared plenty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually looked pretty puny and ordinary being just a slider. However the spice blend they use in the meat was over the top. I wish I knew what they used.

      The pictures are just all from my smart phone but it does pretty well with the pictures.

      Delete
  2. Wow Ed, it all looks great. Thanks for sharing - I enjoy see food pictures like this (although apparently it is a bit of a "current" trend) as I am always fascinated and interested in how restaurants interpret food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife usually insists I take pictures of the food which I probably wouldn't do. But for her, she used them as a creative spark to replicate them in the future. I'm not good or creative enough to replicate dishes so I just help out by taste testing them.

      Delete
  3. You certainly enjoyed some wonderful food and clearly many of the dishes you ordered required both skill and passion in the kitchen. Was the word "Fatty" on the sign pointing to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it might if I lived nearby that place.

      Delete
  4. This is definitely part of your enjoyment of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some delicious looking meals! You describe each meal with reverence, like a food critic. I am all about that dessert which looks amazing. You make me want to go out to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, we both thought the chocolate pie was probably the worst course of all five. It was just so chocolaty, and needed something to lighten it up.

      Delete
  6. I like the catfish creole the most! Too bad that you use Blogger. I use WordPress for my blog and never have these problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first experience with catfish creole but was certainly delicious. I now have to have it again but next time, a homemade version of it which I'm sure will be even better.

      I have thought about WordPress but I've been with Blogger for nearly two decades and just don't want to make the switch at this point. Others pointed out solutions to the rare problems I have had with it so that is probably more incentive not to switch.

      Delete
    2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WordPress also charges, doesn't it? Blogger is free. (But as I often say, you get what you pay for!)

      Delete
    3. I don’t know that answer but anyone who does can chime in.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I am charged $96 plus Tax for 13 GB of media space per year.

      Delete
  7. So much food on just one plate! I would order the chocolate cake:) I had risotto for the first time last week. We are plain eaters:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up that way but fortunately through others, have been exposed enough to want to experience other foods. But I still don't mind a bit of plain eating after a couple weeks on the road.

      I'm not sure when the first time I ever had risotto but I know it is closer to now than my birth by a long shot. I have never made it though my spouse has made it a few times. Perhaps I've been lucky but every risotto I've had has been a tasty experience.

      Delete
  8. I'm impressed. Seems Oklahoma has upped it's culinary skills from when I was a youngster in the'60s. Just north of Tulsa is Miami, Oklahoma, which used to be the catfish capital of the world. Catfish is easy fishin'; no scales to remove! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been able to find excellent cooking everywhere I have gone. But sometimes it takes some research to find it.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful plates of food, even if I'm not particularly tempted by any of it. Shakes like that always look so fun, but I wonder if they're hard to eat/drink? I hope the catfish was Arkansas farm raised! 😉 (we grew catfish for several years)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both shakes the girls drank with apparent ease. I didn’t try one myself. I didn’t see any labeling on the catfish but the restaurant was owned by Laotians so it could have come from anywhere.

      Delete
  11. Wow, y'all definitely had some great food! Did you happen upon these places, or did you do research and learn about them in advance? Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do a fair amount of research ahead of time especially for farm to table restaurants like Juniper or 39. But sometimes we just stumble upon something like we did for the Fatty burger place. A good share of the time we just find ourselves in an area and due to technology, are able to do an internet search for unique places to eat which is how we found Mad Eats.

      Delete
  12. You sure know how to pick out great places to eat! I would love to try them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can someday! Likewise, I hope to make it back to your neck of the woods for some fresh poke.

      Delete
  13. I wonder if that sign (at Fatty Burger) is authentically retro, or is it just made to look that way? Anyway, all the food looks terrific.

    It's weird that Blogger rotated your photos. I've never had that happen. I wonder if you rotate them on your computer, save them, and then replace them in the post, would that fix the problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked in too good of shape to be original. I don’t know the origin story of that place to know if it was made to look retro or a repop of an earlier sign.

      Doing those steps would fix the problem and I’ve done so several times over the years. But the last two posts were so photo heavy and I was wanting to step away from the computer so I just left them out of laziness unfixed. With one or two photos Inusually go back and fix things.

      Delete
  14. I remember the time when I could drink 'The Loot', or eat chocolate pie with an oreo crust and still maintain a weight of 100 pounds. Those days are gone.

    The food looks good. I am married to meat-and-potatoes man, so getting to try new food is always exciting for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish those days hadn’t left for me too.

      Delete
  15. Now I'm hungry again... that all looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should put a warning at the top not to read until directly after a meal.

      Delete
  16. For the love of fat bassets, I am jealous of all that food, Ed. It looks so darn yummy. We are going out to eat tonight so I might have to persuade my dinner guests to go to a place in town that might serve something similar. And I love that buffalo mural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to show them my pictures as part of your persuasion.

      Delete
  17. Good gosh! You guys really eat well. This looks amazing and now you've made me hungry. It's all what I can't have since I'm having a colonoscopy on Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment